Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
Not saying farmers aren't suffering, but they're probably not doing as well as they'd like, or have been used to. Id be the same if I lost my job, or my industry hit bottom. I would not suffer, but I'd sure have to adjust my way of life.

My neighbor across the street has maybe 50-60 head of cattle. He does not look like hes making millions (maybe he is but it sure doesn't show). A drive down 22 - different story. There is money in cattle somewhere at the producer level.

Do you think that Trump's idea of America first is a viable option? Should Canada take a Canada first mindset? This is not intended to turn this political - that's not the point, just wondering what the solution to Kens question/thread is. Its a good question Ken.

I have not been to Hawaii cause i like my rib steaks instead. I can't afford to have both!!
Well I can tell you that I have 135 cows that are calving right now, I can also tell you that I am not jumping over pots full of money.
This is the problem, when beef is high in the store everyone thinks the producer must be getting a premium. Not the case the dreaded middle man gets it all.
If you want good Alberta beef on the cheap side support a local producer. We just put a steer in the freezer, when I figured market price for the animal and the butchers cost, EACH cut on that animal in the freezer averages out to 3.89 a pound. That means those rib steaks you were talking about would probable be 10-12 dollars. The hamburger you get of an animal like that will taste far superior to anything you have tasted in the store.
Unfortunately if you don’t have a big freezer that will cost you as well, but still be cheaper in the long run. This way you could put some cash in a local producers pocket, and oh yeah if you were on my farm and asked me what i do with all my money well let’s not go there.
Back to combining hopefully but the rain is looking eminent.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:58 AM

If a cow is raised in Alberta then shipped to the US and killed 3 days later in US facility, it will then be labeled as USDA beef.

And vice versa, although the Canadian regulation I believe is it has to be in Canada for 1 week prior to slaughtering to be labeled Canadian.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
If you have ever seen American corn fed beef when it is hanging you would never buy it.
god.... dont tell me... i just had some "new york" corned beef last week.

Not sure if the name new york corned beef means it was american. It was a damn delicious sandwich i made though.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-26-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Well I can tell you that I have 135 cows that are calving right now, I can also tell you that I am not jumping over pots full of money.
This is the problem, when beef is high in the store everyone thinks the producer must be getting a premium. Not the case the dreaded middle man gets it all.
If you want good Alberta beef on the cheap side support a local producer. We just put a steer in the freezer, when I figured market price for the animal and the butchers cost, EACH cut on that animal in the freezer averages out to 3.89 a pound. That means those rib steaks you were talking about would probable be 10-12 dollars. The hamburger you get of an animal like that will taste far superior to anything you have tasted in the store.
Unfortunately if you don’t have a big freezer that will cost you as well, but still be cheaper in the long run. This way you could put some cash in a local producers pocket, and oh yeah if you were on my farm and asked me what i do with all my money well let’s not go there.
Back to combining hopefully but the rain is looking eminent.
I think hunter65 was talking about outfits on highway 22 from Millarville to the Waldron. Thats probable the most expensive range in Canada. Where they shoot movie's.

Sucks that your combing now. That must be awful

Your right about the burgers. I think the store bought burgers they grind with ice? Sure don't taste like it should.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:12 AM

I Always hear producers complain that they don’t get much for their product and it’s so expensive at the store. There’s a whole lot of middle men and if they all make 15%-25% soon you can see why The price is so high.

My uncle was complaining about the price of bread once, he complains a lot ...
I explained to him that it’s easy for the farmer to get all of the profit from the wheat in that bread.

Grow it
Harvest it
Store it
Truck it to the elevator
Put it on a train
Take it off the train at the mill into another silo
Dont forget to separate it into the proper Byproducts
Store it
Load it onto a train or truck
Send it to the bakery
Offload it into a silo
Bake the bread in a bakery they costs $$$
Cool it and pay for the cooking costs
Bag it
Put it onto a truck
Drive to individual stores
Unload it
Merchandise it in the store
Hire a cashier to sell it

All those steps cost money. It’s easy to complain about prices if we don’t think about the inputs.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:37 AM

Here is simple math. There is roughly 6 cents of wheat in a loaf of bread, you could double the price of wheat and make that 12 cents for a loaf of bread. Most consumers would never see the difference from 4.49 a loaf to 4.55 a loaf. That extra six cents would make my farm profitable again. But still wouldn’t get me on par with the inflation of an average mans salary. But man would that be so simple and could make farming fun again.
That’s my 6 cents. Lol 😝
Old 05-26-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Yah I think its because of the sickness at the meat plants in southern alberta. I just got half a beef from my buddy, alberta beef finished with grain, yum.
I haven't bought safeway or costco beef in years. Bought 2 cows from a ranch I hunt on, finished for 3 months and butchered at Brooks Meat Packers. Really hard to be sad.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I think hunter65 was talking about outfits on highway 22 from Millarville to the Waldron. Thats probable the most expensive range in Canada. Where they shoot movie's.

Sucks that your combing now. That must be awful

Your right about the burgers. I think the store bought burgers they grind with ice? Sure don't taste like it should.
Highly doubt the money in that area is from farming. Selling land and oil/gas well revenue, money sourced elsewhere would be my guess.

Trade works in all directions and we are an exporting country so our income depends on it. Great part is we live in a free world so you can choose to buy your beef from wherever you want. There is no one forcing you to buy American beef and no one forcing you to buy beef. If you want beef, talk to a local rancher and buy a quarter, side or a whole. As the prior rancher pointed out, expect to pay around $3.89 a pound and expect to use all cuts rather than pick and choose the premiums. Also plan on purchasing a large freezer as well. There are options out there, just need to do a bit of leg work.

Another option if you want some premium beef, contact your local 4-H club. I know the one in Chauvin is selling theirs at market price which is a heck of a deal.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Why is that?
The fat on corn fed beef makes the carcass an ugly yellow colour.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
I don't claim to know who is making the giant profits on beef. Maybe the producer, maybe the processor, I don't know. I DO know that I will not support that industry until prices come down, whatever that means. Can't tell me that ranchers are suffering. Take a spin down the Cowboy Trail and have a look. Seems to me they sell a commodity and their livelihood fluctuates with the market (supply and demand??) much like oil/gas/mining etc.

Ken - can you explain how Saudi oil brings Texas beef to Boyle and sells it for 10x what the local Alberta beef producer sells it for? If I read you right, you are saying that Alberta beef is 10x cheaper than US beef? Or maybe you're saying why are we selling US beef (brought to you by Saudi oil) for 10x more than AB beef? Show me the $5 rib steaks and Ill buy them.

Just want to make sure I got the facts, and that they are not over exaggerated.

Seems similar to when we all complain about the high price of gas, then when the price drops we down we complain about the poor economy.
Please tell me what it is you see on the cowboy trail that makes you so anti rancher ?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Why is that?
Yes why do you say that?
Old 05-27-2020, 11:55 AM

In all honesty , i am more concerned about all the crap that we import from china , but maybe i'm biased .