Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 04:09 PM

Default Will the Rem 742 semi-auto become prohibited?

Serious question in a time of ever changing firearms rules. Will dad’s old Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06 become a prohibited weapon?

You can purchase a scary looking black plastic stock for it as well as 20 round detachable mags if you could find one.

A few years back I would have never dreamed a hunting rifle could become prohibited but with Turdo in charge the unthinkable is not so unthinkable any more.

Do Fudds now have a reason to be worried?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:18 PM

With this government who knows. I’ll be surprised if they don’t ban “sniper rifles” and really stick it to us.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:43 PM

They would like us completely disarmed. Right now it appears to be all emotional responses. So anything scary looking or sounding seems to be the focus.

Just saw that a scary looking .22 went prohib, but the plain stock version is non-restricted.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:52 PM

Quit giving the gun grabbers a hit list!

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Quit giving the gun grabbers a hit list!
Bahahaha! If were only that simple but I’m pretty sure you know it isn’t...

We need to wake every Fudd up to the fact their old 30-06 deer gun could be next. You want to hide and pretend they will never come for your firearms but in all reality when they get through the list they have right now there will be a new list...

Last edited by Positrac; 05-25-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

We need to wake every Fudd up to the fact their old 30-06 deer gun could be next. You want to hide and pretend they will never come for your firearms but in all reality when they get through the list they have right now there will be a new list...
If the gun grabbers get their wish, we won’t even have muzzle loaders!
They’d sooner see paid govt shooters kill the surplus deer, than have any of us fill our larder.
To think any self loader, pump, lever, and repeater isn’t on the send em to the smelter list, people better wake up.

Aus, UK, NZ are perfect examples of where this could certainly go.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I keep seeing talk about how "now, maybe the fudds will give a crap about this firearm ban!"

Who are these "fudds"? I've never met one...

You're posting on a forum that consists of mostly hunters and I can't say I've seen a single post that's in favor of a firearm ban of any kind.

I think hunters and sport shooters alike are both very aware that the liberals and their crony's want to get their hands on all of our guns.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:37 PM

Any semi auto with a removable magazine will be among the first targets.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:38 PM

I have one also. In really nice shape, good rails, 6mm rem. Guess they will want it too. I have two gun safes, will put all the banned rifles in the bigger one and count what's left uin the smaller one.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:57 PM

Non compliance
Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Who are these "fudds"? I've never met one...

You're posting on a forum that consists of mostly hunters and I can't say I've seen a single post that's in favor of a firearm ban of any kind.
“Fudd (plural Fudds) - A gun-owner who supports traditional hunting guns but favors gun control for other guns such as handguns or tactical rifles.”

If you’ve never met a Fudd I’d be very surprised. I know dozens and have seen many on here post that there is no reason someone would need a AR-type rifle. That puts them straight in the Fudd category whether or not they like the term.

My dad is a perfect example. He doesn’t think there is any reason a normal citizen should own a pistol. You can’t hunt with them so why would anyone need one is his logic. He has one rifle he’s been using for 50 years and a couple different shotguns. Try as I might there was no way to get him to back legal gun owners on owning any type of firearm that he didn’t really agree with. He is starting to see the light when he now realizes that his old 30-06 may be next in line to be prohibited. Many do not realize that the confiscation of different types of firearms will not end with this latest list.

I’m not the enemy here. I’m just trying to get a discussion going that may help people wake up to the fact that no firearm is safe and that even if you don’t agree with certain firearms there is good reason to support legal firearms owners continuing being allowed to have them. United we may have a chance but divided we will all lose in the end.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
“Fudd (plural Fudds) - A gun-owner who supports traditional hunting guns but favors gun control for other guns such as handguns or tactical rifles.”

If you’ve never met a Fudd I’d be very surprised. I know dozens and have seen many on here post that there is no reason someone would need a AR-type rifle. That puts them straight in the Fudd category whether or not they like the term.

My dad is a perfect example. He doesn’t think there is any reason a normal citizen should own a pistol. You can’t hunt with them so why would anyone need one is his logic. He has one rifle he’s been using for 50 years and a couple different shotguns. Try as I might there was no way to get him to back legal gun owners on owning any type of firearm that he didn’t really agree with. He is starting to see the light when he now realizes that his old 30-06 may be next in line to be prohibited. Many do not realize that the confiscation of different types of firearms will not end with this latest list.

I’m not the enemy here. I’m just trying to get a discussion going that may help people wake up to the fact that no firearm is safe and that even if you don’t agree with certain firearms there is good reason to support legal firearms owners continuing being allowed to have them. United we may have a chance but divided we will all lose in the end.
Your dad sounds like someone I know. I was just talking to him on the long weekend and he said what`s the big deal with the ban, He doesn`t own any of them and you can`t hunt with the ones that are banned. I told him the reason you can`t hunt with them is because the gov`t won`t let us. They US hunt with AR`s all the time.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
Your dad sounds like someone I know. I was just talking to him on the long weekend and he said what`s the big deal with the ban, He doesn`t own any of them and you can`t hunt with the ones that are banned. I told him the reason you can`t hunt with them is because the gov`t won`t let us. They US hunt with AR`s all the time.
I’ve had many a conversation with similar minded folks.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
You can hunt with an ar looking rifle there are no regulations against is.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 PM

worth a watch, NFA and Solomon Friedman explaining what they filed against the gov'e and the issues surrounding it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtqMTU85gd4
Old 05-27-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Non compliance
amen.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:

If the current gun ban is successfully implemented with a high compliance rate it will give them the encouragement and confidence to ban a whole bunch more. Anyone who doesn’t think the end goal is total disarmament is just falling for the Liberals bs and lying to themselves
Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
If the current gun ban is successfully implemented with a high compliance rate it will give them the encouragement and confidence to ban a whole bunch more. Anyone who doesn’t think the end goal is total disarmament is just falling for the Liberals bs and lying to themselves
Absolutely agree. I don't own any of the firearms currently affected by the OIC but it is clear to me that the Liberals, NDP and Greens will be coming after something I do own as soon as they get this one done. Look at Australia and New Zealand to see what they will go after at a minimum.

It's so frustrating that there's nothing more I can do now I've signed petitions and sent letters and joined CSSA. There is no way to force the eastern big city politicians to pay any attention to what the prairies want or need while they are virtue signalling to their power base in Ontario and Quebec. The last election showed we are 100% against Trudeau but it makes no difference to him and his party.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Take a lesson from the kids in Hong Kong

They are risking it all taking on the Chinese communists

Our foe? A drama teacher, an old man and a fat chick......WTF ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT????

NON COMPLIANCE. STICK TOGETHER.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Take a lesson from the kids in Hong Kong

They are risking it all taking on the Chinese communists

Our foe? A drama teacher, an old man and a fat chick......WTF ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT????

NON COMPLIANCE. STICK TOGETHER.
I'm not concerned about the drama teacher himself at a personal level. However, once he and his party ban pump action firearms what happens if I go duck hunting or clay shooting? I suggest that the RCMP will be happy to charge me and confiscate my gun. That's what I am concerned about. I don't see how noncompliance is going to stop that. Please explain.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I'm not concerned about the drama teacher himself at a personal level. However, once he and his party ban pump action firearms what happens if I go duck hunting or clay shooting? I suggest that the RCMP will be happy to charge me and confiscate my gun. That's what I am concerned about. I don't see how noncompliance is going to stop that. Please explain.
Two years to see if all these fabulous firearms groups in Canada are worth your $

Lets see if they can organize thousands of us in Ottawa. Id fly there and participate. Id even be up for going right inside and taking over the place for a few hours. As it was explained to me, that building is ours. We paid for it.

You're thinking about you. Im thinking about us.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
If they started charging everyone , the courts will be so backed up, they will have to start building more courthouses, and hiring more judges, and the backlash will cost the government too many votes.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If they started charging everyone , the courts will be so backed up, they will have to start building more courthouses, and hiring more judges, and the backlash will cost the government too many votes.
I see your point. Except for the votes, because their base in Ontario and Quebec will still vote for them because they're scared of all the evil guns.

Quote:
Two years to see if all these fabulous firearms groups in Canada are worth your $
You're thinking about you. Im thinking about us.
I may have been careless in my choice of words. Perhaps you would have been less negative if I had written: When people go to use their banned firearms, which I think will include semi-automatic and pump shotguns some time in the future, the RCMP will not hesitate to charge them and confiscate their guns. I don't see how noncompliance is going to stop that. The RCMP might worry about clogging the court system but they might not.

I think you and elkhunter are optimistic about our chances.

In the first place, we are talking about collective action which is not easy to generate. The various firearms organizations give us a chance at this.

In the second place, I don't think a large number of gun owners will go to Ottawa. The recent blockades and so on seemed to involve a relatively small number of the Wet'suwet'en or the Mohawks, for example, and they were mostly on their home turf.

In the third place, taking over the Parliament buildings would just reinforce all the negative views that the voters of Ontario and Quebec already have about gun owners. They would keep voting for the Liberals.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I see your point. Except for the votes, because their base in Ontario and Quebec will still vote for them because they're scared of all the evil guns.

I may have been careless in my choice of words. Perhaps you would have been less negative if I had written: When people go to use their banned firearms, which I think will include semi-automatic and pump shotguns some time in the future, the RCMP will not hesitate to charge them and confiscate their guns. I don't see how noncompliance is going to stop that. The RCMP might worry about clogging the court system but they might not.

I think you and elkhunter are optimistic about our chances.

In the first place, we are talking about collective action which is not easy to generate. The various firearms organizations give us a chance at this.

In the second place, I don't think a large number of gun owners will go to Ottawa. The recent blockades and so on seemed to involve a relatively small number of the Wet'suwet'en or the Mohawks, for example, and they were mostly on their home turf.

In the third place, taking over the Parliament buildings would just reinforce all the negative views that the voters of Ontario and Quebec already have about gun owners. They would keep voting for the Liberals.
In many ways you are correct. Elkhunter and i are optimistic and probably wrong because we are well aware of how weak, scared and apathetic Canadians are. Guys like Trudeau are the strong ones. They rule the roost.

Who are we? Nobody's. If Trudeau died, people would fly from all corners of the Earth to be there. It would be televised. Theyd name a mountain after him. Youd hear about it for months...

If one of us died, might get 2 page thread on AO........

Good thing Im outside so if i puke i wont wreck the carpet.....
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM

2 full pages for both of you in the same thread maybe.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
2 full pages for both of you in the same thread maybe.
lol!!!!!true dat