Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Oh please...lol. UNIVERSAL.... facts are facts ... yours is only an opinion.
LOL...you need to get out more. Been a while since I saw anyone packing a 56mm objective in the hills.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...you need to get out more. Been a while since I saw anyone packing a 56mm objective in the hills.

This might be your first correct statement (lol)... I spend too much time working and doing detailed evaluations on specific shooting and hunting optics...

You need to broaden your circles to see the 56mm scopes in the field.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
This might be your first correct statement (lol)... I spend too much time working and doing detailed evaluations on specific shooting and hunting optics...
LOL

No doubt you know your stuff...never argued that but unfortunately you are having trouble seperating theory from practicality. It's not a matter of lack of knowledge...it's a matter of applying that knowledge in a pratical manner.

LOL, I think my circles are broad enough. The fact remains, 50mm and under objectives dominate the hunting world, regardless of circles. And, as coatings improve and light transfer improves, 44 and 42 mm objectives are becoming the practical choice for most.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Free scopes always seem to be the cats whiskers.

Get a fixed power scope of modest magnification, of good quality and seeing well enough to shoot big game at considerable distance in legal light will be a non issue. I prefer the Leupold FX II 6X36 in spades, a bonus being that they seem to stay zeroed as well.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL

you are having trouble seperating theory from practicality. It's not a matter of lack of knowledge...it's a matter of applying that knowledge in a pratical manner.

LOL, I think my circles are broad enough.
Again - opinion. Theory works nicely into the real world. Pending the application I am not willing to give up ANY optical performance in this regard. In your applications you are clearly willing to and from your assessment it is the right thing for your situation.

What you are doing is right for you but don't imply it is the correct or only way. It is only correct for you.

The system (rifle, shooter and optics) has to work for the application.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Again - opinion. Theory works nicely into the real world. Pending the application I am not willing to give up ANY optical performance in this regard. In your applications you are clearly willing to and from your assessment it is the right thing for your situation.

What you are doing is right for you but don't imply it is the correct or only way. It is only correct for you.

The system (rifle, shooter and optics) has to work for the application.
I give up nothing and gain in spades. Lighter weight, more compact, mounted closer to barrel, etc, etc. Maybe if I one day lose sight picture because of a heart beat I'll change my mind but so far, sight picture has NEVER been an issue and if I keep my rifle and head in the right position it NEVER will be. And if I don't, a couple extra mm's of exit pupil isn't going to matter squat.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:

You need to broaden your circles to see the 56mm scopes in the field.
On a bean field in a heated box blind with a television maybe.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
On a bean field in a heated box blind with a television maybe.

Yes but you forgot the popcorn, beer and bbq. You will probably find more of the "small" scopes in the box blind too...lol Forgot the hot tub...
Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 PM

I personally think the whole oversized (over 40mm) objective thing has gotten WAY out of hand. Any decent scope does in my opinion fine until the end of legal light. I have NEVER not taken a shot due to my scope being unable to pick out a deer in lowlight and I've down more then my fair share of hunting. Spend decent money on a 40mm obj and you'll be just fine. If you can see the deer, you're good to go. I shoot Leupold's and 3200's. Your bino's are the glass that need it it more then anything IMO, especially for the point counters out there. I always find it interesting that to some guys unless it looks like the fields bathed in a spotlight the scopes too dim.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I personally think the whole oversized (over 40mm) objective thing has gotten WAY out of hand. Any decent scope does in my opinion fine until the end of legal light. I have NEVER not taken a shot due to my scope being unable to pick out a deer in lowlight and I've down more then my fair share of hunting.
In Alberta it is rare that a scope isn't bright enough during legal hours, but it can and does happen, depending on the conditions. In B.C. where the legal hours are from one hour before sunrise, to one hour after sunset, the situation is much different.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Precisionshooter

Having hunted in the 4 western provinces - not only are the large objective scopes useful at the start and end of legal shooting time, they are also useful for viewing into dark areas of the bush where outside of the bush there is ample light. Tall timber and density tends to prevent light from finding its way to where you need it. Of course you would actually have to be in the bush 1/2 before and after and not afraid of the dark. Many guys are back in camp by then or well on their way hoofing it out of the bush to get to the case of Miller Light... ops... regular beer that awaits them.

Most large deer (old and wise) don't make appearances in the open until it is dark or darn close to dark. They tend to stay at the edges several meters or more in the bush unless the rut pulls them out. Optical comparisons in good bright light is generally futile and pointless.

I am pretty confident that if the scopes in the $3000 range were in the $1000range, more people would be using them. Besides many gents prefer to spend money on the large Ford F350 4x4 (or like), with huge quads/trailers and fancy accessories which everyone can see. With no money left over optics is usually what suffers if they even dare buy a quality rifle ..... most of us have heard.. what spend more then the price of my Savage on a scope.. are you nuts.....
Old 10-26-2011, 04:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Optical comparisons in good bright light is generally futile and pointless.

Add artificial indoor light to that statement and we have found something to agree upon