Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2022, 12:38 PM

Default One man ice hut

Any one ever use those one man huts?

I do alot of fishn alone and was thinking it might be a good way to go. I have had anywhere from a 2 to 6 man tent and the older I get the more cumbersom it is becoming for put up and especially take down.

wonder what they weigh and is there any room at all>

THANKS
Old 12-22-2022, 01:56 PM

Used them for years before electronics were common. There is not much room but they pop up quickly. They are also quite light. If only using a flasher they are fine but if running heater etc it gets pretty cramped. I use a 2 man flip shelter as a one man tent for myself and german shepherd (once he gets cold). It is certainly heavier but much more comfortable. That being said, I'm relatively young and throwing it around doesn't bother me yet. After using an insulated 2 man, it is difficult to go back to one man pop ups.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:38 AM

I have an Eskimo Wide1 Inferno that I use when I'm out by myself. I'm able to load and unload this into the back of the truck without issue. I'm 65. (Website claims 62 lbs.) Once unloaded, I put all my gear into it and drag it and carry my auger out onto the ice. It's designed for being mobile and I'm not interested in that. I'm happy to sit inside with two holes and fish. The front of the hut expands at the bottom for a little wider space. It easily transports my rods, tacklebox, grub, thermos, heater and tipup etc.....
The whole front lifts up and can sit upright if you want to enjoy the weather and block the wind, or you can just leave the door open.
Craig

Old 12-23-2022, 08:47 AM

I had a Frabill one man hut, It was similar to the Eskimo pictured above only all black, I'm 5'10" and my head was rubbing on the roof when seated, I found it kinda narrow also. Great windbreak with the front up.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:06 AM

Use mine a lot.. More than my 6 person insulated. Mines over 30 years old and still going. Sure nice when your fishing shallow clear water and jumping holes.
Also easy to keep warm. Mines black canvas and with the sun on it, its surprisingly warm. I've also used candles and a homemade alcohol burner to keep it warm as well..
Old 12-23-2022, 11:09 AM

I use a one man tent all the time and love them

use a sled to pull them in

have a Little Buddy heater

some time's will do a double hole

can get right down n help fish out of hole

i am 6'1" now at 67 years young and have lots of room

we chat on what we see and if it's head the other guys way

in the wind they are perfect as your weight will keep them anchored

get out in wind and drop tent .. easy peasy .

we will kick a little snow on edges to seal bottom

even room for my Aqua-View Revolution Pro

i highly recommend them for ice fishing

as always this is

Food for Thought

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dd.jpg (75.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 1912530_10151873405490776_250374484_o.jpg (63.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (32.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-23-2022, 12:40 PM

Thanks for that I needed to hear from some on you guys that are using them, especially a younster like Spec. (I got a few yrs. on ya)

As fortune would have it a good friend told me just this morn he has one in the garage doing nothing and offered to loan it to me for the season to see how I like it.

What true friends you find from fishing partners.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:07 PM

I've had one identical to Specks, for about 30 years too! (67yrs and 6ft too!) I've used it many, many times on the Spray and Kananaskis Lakes. It zips up flat, and with the carry handles, it looks like an artist's portfolio. You get odd looks strolling across the ice in a light jacket with just your portfolio, and a 5 gallon pail swinging from your auger, - from the 'shelterless' guys looking up from their holes in their snowsuits and frozen beards! When the sun shines, it's toasty warm but I just use a little sterno can or tea candle if it's cloudy and cold. But - make sure you choose a way to anchor it down.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:18 PM

I would love one like Speck’s or ttankster’s.

For the time being I am usually taking kids along, so I have the larger pop-ups.

As a kid my dad had made homemade sleds made of plywood with conduit and vinyl pop—up frames.

More often than not we would use those huge plastic bags.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:56 PM

the first tent I got was like this one

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h...p.html?loc=plp

and yes it was cramped but it sure got the job done and was lightweight, easy to transport and setup. it was ok in the wind as long as you were sitting in it lol but I still made sure to anchor it down with a strap. it also comes with its own seat so that means one less thing to bring out and take up space.

even in the limited space, i was still able to fit in my buddy heater and 5lb propane tank (put it under the seat), as well as have my camera and fish finder inside (but with the camera down another hole outside and the cords running in.

a few problems though was that i had to get a shorter rod, and my back did get a little sore as the seat doesnt have a back rest.

last year i upgraded to a frabill hq100, it does take a bit more to setup and anchor down, as well as having the extra space to bring it out, but its definitely more roomy and comfortable to sit in a better chair, but again i have to bring that out too.

however i still kept the first one, as its handy to have on nicer days or when i just want something quick to setup. its also really good for hotboxing
Old 12-23-2022, 04:30 PM

LIVED in those one man tents for a good percentage of my life. Loved the hard bottom and the early ones were built tough, with good zippers and canvas that always straightened itself out with a little sunshine or heat. Then the cameras came along and I couldn't fish without it so the suitcase type got parked and went with two man in the same style but two holes which I still use. 35 years of pipeline have taken its toll. I can get a comfortable chair in there and a heater and my camera all in the same shack. If you are young with a good back the one man is fine. The camp fuel alcohol gel tins fit under the seat and provide ample heat. The ones I used had single hole about 10 inch so if you got a big fish you had to bend in half to scoop her out of the hole. Many great memories in those little shacks but I've spoilt myself. Can't sit on that little bench seat staring down the hole for 10 hrs anymore.