Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
For what it is going to cost you in fuel and hotel rooms you could fly from Florida to Edmonton and then rent a vehicle to drive to Manning.
I’m bringing quite a few items along with me that I simply can’t bring if flying. That’s the reason for the truck and the trailer.

This is a bucket list hunt for me. I want to set up a spike camp for the 8 days of hunting and would love to get some fishing in as well. This means bringing my 4 person wall tent, tent stove, etc. Doing 8 nights in the woods is exciting for me - I’m looking forward to the camping nearly as much as the hunting and fishing.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A207X2 View Post
Funny that you mention the BF Goodrich KO2. I've been looking at them and I think they will be my next tires. The Continentals that I've got on it now really have quite a bit of tread left; I don't think I'm going to drop $2,000 on a set of tires if I don't really need them for now.

Here are the chains that I've got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will they work?
Those will work just fine if you can get them on tight and it looks like you can with those cam locks .just tie up the lose chain on the end .

Last edited by -JR-; 03-15-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Those will work just fine if you can get them on tight and it looks like you can with those cam locks .just tie up the lose chain on the end .
Old 03-15-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I’m bringing quite a few items along with me that I simply can’t bring if flying. That’s the reason for the truck and the trailer.

This is a bucket list hunt for me. I want to set up a spike camp for the 8 days of hunting and would love to get some fishing in as well. This means bringing my 4 person wall tent, tent stove, etc. Doing 8 nights in the woods is exciting for me - I’m looking forward to the camping nearly as much as the hunting and fishing.
Sounds like a ton of gear that will make for expensive travel

Outfitter or resident host guiding or hosting you not providing or able to help with accommodations?
Old 03-15-2024, 07:21 PM

Default Moose trip

The trip itself is part of the adventure, even fishing along the way. On long trips with my camper I sometimes spend the nite at walmart parking lots. There is usually 10-20 units parked there for the nite. Saving $40 to $60 per nite on campsites I go into the store and buy a few very nice steaks for supper.
Hope you have a memorable trip and hunt.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Sounds like a ton of gear that will make for expensive travel

Outfitter or resident host guiding or hosting you not providing or able to help with accommodations?
Yes, they have a lodge, but I'd prefer to just set up camp and not have to travel an hour or so each way in a UTV over rough ground. I'm 69 and my back just isn't what it used to be. Bouncing over rough terrain each way every day isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather set up camp, get a good fire going and just enjoy the experience.

I'll be bringing my Ithaca M37 Home Defense shotgun with me as my camp gun. It can hold 8 slugs, has a light and a red dot on it. Don't think I'll need it but down here when I go out hunting like this, I always have a pistol strapped to my chest just in case.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
The trip itself is part of the adventure, even fishing along the way. On long trips with my camper I sometimes spend the nite at walmart parking lots. There is usually 10-20 units parked there for the nite. Saving $40 to $60 per nite on campsites I go into the store and buy a few very nice steaks for supper.
Hope you have a memorable trip and hunt.
Have done the Walmart thing as well. Cracker Barrel is another place that is happy to have you for the night. They even let me set up my genset in the back down here in FL as it was so hot you wouldn't be able to sleep without it.

I've been wanting to do this since I was 14. I grew up in a small town in southern Ontario (Crystal Beach) and I remember when the older guys would go up to northern Ontario moose hunting, and one year this guy brought back a MONSTER - or so it seemed to me at that age. Ever since then I've been wanting to do this. But life kept getting in the way (kids & college, work, etc.). Now this is my one shot at it - and I want to make the most of it. Yeah it's going to be expensive, but it'll be worth it. I've been planning this for 3 years.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, they have a lodge, but I'd prefer to just set up camp and not have to travel an hour or so each way in a UTV over rough ground. I'm 69 and my back just isn't what it used to be. Bouncing over rough terrain each way every day isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather set up camp, get a good fire going and just enjoy the experience.

I'll be bringing my Ithaca M37 Home Defense shotgun with me as my camp gun. It can hold 8 slugs, has a light and a red dot on it. Don't think I'll need it but down here when I go out hunting like this, I always have a pistol strapped to my chest just in case.

Fair enough and as long as you feel it’s worth the expense for the experience I can respect that

Best of luck on your adventure
Old 03-15-2024, 08:56 PM

Sounds like you are well prepared, and it should be a great trip.

I'm sure you know this, but remember to leave your pistol at home, it's no bueno up here unfortunately.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:37 AM

Best wishes on the trip post some picture if the monster moose you will get.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Have done the Walmart thing as well. Cracker Barrel is another place that is happy to have you for the night. They even let me set up my genset in the back down here in FL as it was so hot you wouldn't be able to sleep without it.

I've been wanting to do this since I was 14. I grew up in a small town in southern Ontario (Crystal Beach) and I remember when the older guys would go up to northern Ontario moose hunting, and one year this guy brought back a MONSTER - or so it seemed to me at that age. Ever since then I've been wanting to do this. But life kept getting in the way (kids & college, work, etc.). Now this is my one shot at it - and I want to make the most of it. Yeah it's going to be expensive, but it'll be worth it. I've been planning this for 3 years.
Here is to hoping for a great experience for you!!! I too would prefer the camping experience. Best of luck.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-16-2024, 10:38 AM

You might want to consider a second pair of chains. Seen where hot shot guys put set on front wheels to keep you in middle of slimy road with not much gravel. If things are bad(Wet fall) 2nd set will also give you much better traction on your dullys. Cheap insurance you can sell extra chains.
PS "Better to have 2nd set of chains you do not need, than need them and not have them" West of Manning/Chinchaga is Northern Wilderness.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 03-16-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:07 AM

I hope you have a good guide. So many people go in that area and don't see anything .But I do hear geese hunting is really good up there .
Old 03-16-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I hope you have a good guide. So many people go in that area and don't see anything .But I do hear geese hunting is really good up there .
I'm using Moose Lake Outfitters. I've been talking at great lengths with the owner Rick. He's been very responsive, and seems like he knows what he's doing.

I also have a friend and co-worker who live in Calgary. He recommended both the area and the outfitter - and this was after I had mentioned to him who the outfitter was, so that made me feel pretty good about it.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:23 PM

Careful you don't hit a moose on the way up.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-16-2024, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Sounds like you are well prepared, and it should be a great trip.

I'm sure you know this, but remember to leave your pistol at home, it's no bueno up here unfortunately.
I think there is some paper work to be completed for all firearms to cross the border as well. Check out the Accurate Reloading forum, lots of experience there on cross border hunting.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-16-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I think there is some paper work to be completed for all firearms to cross the border as well. Check out the Accurate Reloading forum, lots of experience there on cross border hunting.
Yes, I’ve got the forms for bringing my firearms into Canada, thanks.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
You might want to consider a second pair of chains. Seen where hot shot guys put set on front wheels to keep you in middle of slimy road with not much gravel. If things are bad(Wet fall) 2nd set will also give you much better traction on your dullys. Cheap insurance you can sell extra chains.
PS "Better to have 2nd set of chains you do not need, than need them and not have them" West of Manning/Chinchaga is Northern Wilderness.
Quote:
Another chains question: even though I’m only 2WD, I’m thinking that I should have them on the front (steering axle) wheels as well for better control as @Big Grey Wolf is suggesting.

Might also get a set for the inside rear tires. Problem with that is that I will have to remove the outside tires in order to put the inside tires on. Not the end of the world, but a PITA to do. Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:

When you cross the border tell them that Ithaca is for bird hunting. (Upland, grouse) not for self defence. My hunter from South Carolina drove up to hunt moose with us this fall and they wouldn’t let him bring his 30-30 for self defence stating you don’t need a firearm to defend yourself. He drove into a small town in North Dakota and left it with a store owner and picked it up on his way home.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:24 PM

You're asking good questions & have most of it figured. Some of the fun is the planning & the anticipation. Besides, now you got half of us excited for hunting season & wishing we were coming along! We'll follow along and enjoy vicariously! Thanks!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-16-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
You're asking good questions & have most of it figured. Some of the fun is the planning & the anticipation. Besides, now you got half of us excited for hunting season & wishing we were coming along! We'll follow along and enjoy vicariously! Thanks!
I promise I'll keep you all informed as this rolls out - all the way through the finish. Will take tons of pictures and hopefully some video as well.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Another chains question: even though I’m only 2WD, I’m thinking that I should have them on the front (steering axle) wheels as well for better control as @Big Grey Wolf is suggesting.

Might also get a set for the inside rear tires. Problem with that is that I will have to remove the outside tires in order to put the inside tires on. Not the end of the world, but a PITA to do. Thoughts?
For duals you can get chains that go across the whole set( essentially a really wide chain) I’m not sure how they work on pickups, but have saw them on heavy rigs and they work well.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
For duals you can get chains that go across the whole set( essentially a really wide chain) I’m not sure how they work on pickups, but have saw them on heavy rigs and they work well.
I'm learning about them as we speak. I believe they refer to them as "triples".
Old 03-16-2024, 11:44 PM

Wish you the best on your whole trip ,no matter how well we plan we can't bring everything ,sounds like you got a good list. Spare pieces of pre cut chains small shackles , even a spare u joint incase crap happens .Always return it once back home ,few hoses , JB weld . There is wide RV 5 or 6 inch roof tape,you can do all kinda crap with it and it sticks .

This is your bucket list deal ,don't be in any big rush .Take in all in and if dark hits you wait till day break if your way out on that bad roads . I've been up that way it's hit and miss on weather . Debone it all .

Enjoy your hunt, travel safe, nothing ventured nothing gained ,so giver.

All the best
JD
Old 03-16-2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
Yes you can,haven't seen them in bit,but there around .
Old 03-17-2024, 07:53 AM

I spun out on a hill with a load of cows because I had singles on my dually. I went to town on the following Monday and bought a set of triples. They're still brand new in the pail and you're welcome to borrow them (I'm not far off of your path).

When it gets closer to go time, I'm sure some of the good folks on this forum would be willing to put you up for a night to save some travel costs.

I'm really happy to hear that you're in it for the whole experience. I can't believe the guys who tag out on day 2 of a $25k hunt and then spend thousands of dollars rearranging flights to get home early.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-17-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I spun out on a hill with a load of cows because I had singles on my dually. I went to town on the following Monday and bought a set of triples. They're still brand new in the pail and you're welcome to borrow them (I'm not far off of your path).

When it gets closer to go time, I'm sure some of the good folks on this forum would be willing to put you up for a night to save some travel costs.

I'm really happy to hear that you're in it for the whole experience. I can't believe the guys who tag out on day 2 of a $25k hunt and then spend thousands of dollars rearranging flights to get home early.
Thank you Gerry for that really kind offer! I'm looking at triples right now. The size tires I have are 245/75/R17. We're going to be moving up to the mountains of N. Georgia where they get snow and cold. I noticed that my truck is really bad in snow and ice, probably because the rear end is so light, so I'm thinking that at some point in time I'll need the triples. Pay once, cry once but get the right tool for the job.

If I tag out early, I'm going go find a fishin' hole and drown me a bunch of worms! I'm not going home early. Way too much stuff to do - including lookin' fer a wolf!
Old 03-17-2024, 09:58 AM

Default Moose hunt

I have been shooting moose for 60 years. When calling and get the moose answering and stopping to rake and smash small trees, it sure gets the heart pumping. You only realize how big they can be when it comes to gutting and packing, at the shoulder they are taller than than you are. I hope you get to call in several, it is still exciting, even after having seen many. Be ready some come in they are looking for a fight or a love partner.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I have been shooting moose for 60 years. When calling and get the moose answering and stopping to rake and smash small trees, it sure gets the heart pumping. You only realize how big they can be when it comes to gutting and packing, at the shoulder they are taller than than you are. I hope you get to call in several, it is still exciting, even after having seen many. Be ready some come in they are looking for a fight or a love partner.
Man, every time I think about that it’s actually going to happen I get goose bumps. 55 years of wanting, 3 years of planning, and now it’s almost here. I’ll only get one chance to do this (unless I hit the lottery LOL) so I gotta get it right. Leave nothing on the table. Figure out how to video record it, take photos of it, chronicle the whole trip… that’s a lot of choreography. I was hoping that a buddy of mine would come along to record it all, but I think that the thought of doing 8 nights in the woods has him scared. Too bad as I think this is going to be AMAZING.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:18 PM

For those of you who have hunted this area (WMU 524) I’m told that shots are mostly 200 yards or less. Is that the case? I’m planning on using my 30-06 but really enjoy hunting with my Henry 45-70. 200 is out of the range of the Henry though, so it’ll be my backup gun.