Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Could you explain this type of stove design as opposed to the more traditional style that are being made?
Thanks
I have not seen anyone else that makes a stove with a chimney that directs 100% of the flame (heat) to the cook top. Therefore it takes a lot of wood to get the cooking done with a conventional horizontal oriented stove. That is why some people use a gas stove to do their cooking even though they are firing a wood stove.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:07 PM

we (me, wife and 2 daughters) are heading out after christmas. Building a primitive shelter from some blow down trees, putting a wood stove in and spending 2 nights out south of GP. Do some shooting, sitting around the campfire and the odd adult beverage. Looking more forward to this trip than Christmas
Old 12-21-2015, 10:18 PM

I'm hoping to finally put a hammock sleep system together, with top and bottom quilts and all the extras! Gotta wait til spring though 😭
Old 12-21-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadNuke View Post
I'm hoping to finally put a hammock sleep system together, with top and bottom quilts and all the extras! Gotta wait til spring though 😭
Why wait?
Quite a few guys have setups for hammock camping that work well down to -30.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:42 PM

What hydro said about the buddy heater. Use for a few mins to take the edge off when getting in and out of your sleeping bag. I've done the tent thing in winter a couple times and it was cold. Did the lean-to thing a few times in my late teens and that was colder lol. Look up some info on putting a tarp over your tent(aside from the fly). The last few years my winter camping has been in my trailer nice and toasty. Sure I'm wimping out, but I wake up nice and refreshed to go about doing out doors activities during the day I'd offer to go with you but I have very limited time lately, none the less if your having trouble finding someone send me a pm and maybe we meet up for a coffee and figure something out. No guarantees but I do hope to get out at least once anyways.
Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Could you explain this type of stove design as opposed to the more traditional style that are being made?
Thanks
There are differences that can be easily seen. A difference not so easy to see is that my stoves have vertically sliding feed doors which control combustion air draft that is directed to the front of the fire. The more the feed door is open at the bottom the less draft pressure coming in under the fire at the bottom grate. This regulates the temperature of the burn.
More open, cooler fire, more closed, causes draft to all come in under the grate for the hottest fastest possible burn. A vertical sliding door opens at the bottom first directing draft air at the fire.
When the swinging front door of a conventional stove leaks or is open even a crack it lets air go up the chimney above the fire making the fire burn cooler.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks
Another big difference is that traditional low, horizontal, sitting in the corner, tent stoves ignore the most important type of heat for an tent with no insulation.
That is radiant heat, like the type of heat we get from the sun. Radiant heat shines from a hot wood stove, so that is why I get my stove up of the floor. Stand it up vertical so the most area of the hot stove is shinning on the occupants of the tent.
Radiant heat is the same regardless of the size or height of tent. Like an outside gas patio heater where the heater is above your head with a reflector sending the sun like heat down.

If you want to try to heat the air in an un insulated fabric tent the roof should be as low as possible and the space to be heated as small as possible.

It is fresh out there this morning like -24C. Is there anyone that has a shelter they would use on a morning like this in which to cook and eat their breakfast in comfort. I set up my tarp and stove to make breakfast just for fun. It took about 5 min set up time, that is to drive 4 pegs and put in the stove. For wood to burn I pulled some dry branches off the wood pile in the yard ( about 1 lbs.)

http://www.wintertrekking.com/commun...?topic=3182.45
post 59

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1124514139

Last edited by chimpac; 12-26-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned

Default camp on the ice

Maybe when the holiday relatives go home we can do some winter camping on Chestermere lake.

You are welcome to light a fire in a stove to make tea, cook a meal and stay over night in one of the shelters I will pitch.
Here is a suggested list of things to bring if you want to do any or all of the above.
1. Dress in clothes and boots warm enough to be outside all day without a fire. Top coat should have a hood. All clothes made with wool is good for cold weather.
2. A closed cell foam pad to sit on or lay on with a strap or belt for tying the pad to your back.
3. If you want to light a fire bring, lighter or matches, one pound of dry fire wood for every hour of fire. The stoves like wood near 1/2" in diameter. Old butcher knife and baton is good for splitting wood. A small folding saw is handy for large long pieces that need splitting.
4. Bring your firewood in waxed cardboard boxes ( grocers throw these boxes away every day). The cardboard is used for fire starter and as a mat on the snow. Waterproof bags are best for your gear when camping on snow.
5. Cook pots under 7" in diameter with lids. My favorite meal uses 3 kettles, one pot for tea or coffee, a pot for meat seared and boiled in a small amount of water with some montreal steak seasoning, The same for a pot of vegetables. Cheese and or butter. Chocolate or other sweets.
6. For sleep overnight, sleep pads for comfort and warmth, a bivy or waterproof tarp or poncho. Sleep in your outer warm clothes (just a suggestion) + Quilt or sleep bag.
7. Headlamp if you camp after dark.

Last edited by chimpac; 12-28-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:23 PM

We should keep this thread going. My wife and I are getting out early Jan, 2016. Scoped out south west of keep hills along the north Saskatchewan river. Very quite but the area I was in had little poplar or white spruce so not the greatest for maintaining a fire or pine bows for insulation. I agree as well going further West is the best.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvan49 View Post
We should keep this thread going. My wife and I are getting out early Jan, 2016. Scoped out south west of keep hills along the north Saskatchewan river. Very quite but the area I was in had little poplar or white spruce so not the greatest for maintaining a fire or pine bows for insulation. I agree as well going further West is the best.
Usually a warm spell in January, good time to go.

Grizz
Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM

I do lots of winter sled trips just got back from a 2 day adventure yesterday I like wall tents myself and any good wood buring stove will work my friend uses a propane stove that works good to and a lot less work http://nuwaystove.com/product-category/propane-stove/
Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default gear weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconman View Post
I do lots of winter sled trips just got back from a 2 day adventure yesterday I like wall tents myself and any good wood buring stove will work my friend uses a propane stove that works good to and a lot less work http://nuwaystove.com/product-category/propane-stove/
How much does your total winter camp gear weigh. How much time does it take to find and cut the wood for a day and night if you keep a fire at night.

Last edited by chimpac; 12-30-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:05 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

I used to do a lot of winter camping and used to use a lean too for shelter and just cook etc with a campfire. Always had a nice time camping like that but it's been a very long time since I've gone out camping like that
Up until a year or so ago I used to use my small truck camper for my winter camping . Much easier and less work lol
Old 12-31-2015, 03:41 PM

Default 5 gallon pail

yup bigger. just about that size. whats the size of exhaust pipe would you use if you bring that into a tent or a 10x10 qazebo?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:47 PM

Default location

Seems like everyone who is going this year is north from me. Hmmm any calgarians or area?
lots of good ideas on what to bring too.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:02 PM

Just heading out west of Nordegg for a few days to ring in the new year. We have an old Holiday trailer with a wood stove in it. I'll post some pics in a specific thread I started.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfri View Post
yup bigger. just about that size. whats the size of exhaust pipe would you use if you bring that into a tent or a 10x10 qazebo?
I have used 3" and 4"pipe. 5 gallon stove is to big for me in a 10'x10' space.

I use a 5 gallon with a 20'x20' tarp as I posted #29, giving maybe floor space of 15'x15'. Sit on a chair height.

I use 2 stoves (6" coffee cans) or larger paint cans on a 3" chimney for a 15'x15' tarp sit on a mat height 36"
Old 01-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Banned

Default 3 ways to winter camp

The way I see it there is 3 ways to winter camp.
There is the hot tent, not so hot tent, and cold tent cook with gas stove.

Hot tent users try to keep their tent near 20C day time and some all night. They have to pay the price of carrying a bigger stove and time spent cutting enough wood to heat an un insulated space.

Not so hot tent is cooking with a wood stove big enough to do the cooking with a chimney inside a shelter. Keep the warm clothes on, take off the mitts, the hat, unzip the parka, take off the boots to get socks dry. Maybe get by burning 1 lbs. wood an hour.

The cold tent idea is just not much fun.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Default Winter camping location

Back a few years ago ( 20 0r 25), a few buddies and me went to Carson lake by whitcourt at least once per year, we would drive on the ice at the main spot then drive to the camper boat launch, drive back into the camp ground and stay for a weekend, most times it was late February or March, temps during the day nice, then -10 or -15 for nights, might try to do this again soon just need to figure out who is up to it from the old group

We would fish during the day and have a fire long into the night
Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Default members only?

Hydro1,
what did you mean by members only?
and is there power available at chain lakes for winter camping?
Anyone know any spots north of calgary that have power available and close to some good ice fishing spots? Been thinking about heading out for a weekend with rv.
Depending on who is coming, me setting up a tent for a night or two might still happen but we will see. I've been camping up north by rocky mountain house when water froze on us overnight in one of those blue water jugs. That was years ago and at the end of August. That was a cold,cold night for sure.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Banned

Default camp

My daughter came to visit after Christmas and is staying a few more days. I might be able to get away for one night. Let us know where you decide to go.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't camp in the winter, even RV or trailer. Stay at home is the best idea.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekey View Post
I wouldn't camp in the winter, even RV or trailer. Stay at home is the best idea.
Best advice ever, for you.

Stay at home and give us more room.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

Thanks.
Nice to have the woods to yourself and you don't even have to camp.

Grizz
Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default tarp and stove

It is snapping cold out there this morning but going to get warmer by Sunday. I have tarps and stoves of various sizes to lend to those who want to try winter camping.
That is a tarp that is fully closed in tight to the ground and a stove with a hot cook top.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:48 PM

I wouldnt need anything else but what I got. dont have a tent stove but got a heater and a buddy heater. A nice sleeping bag would be nice for the wool blanket I got is a bit to small. Every time you switch position in your sleep, you let the cold air in. Which would be a positive thing coz you realize that you still alive and havent froze in sleep.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM

Enjoy entire room of the forest. I always happy to give others who can enjoy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:35 PM

We've been winter camping in the Crowsnest Pass for the last 8 years between Christmas and New Years, somewhat of a family tradition. We started out in a truck camper with our one month old daughter, migrated into and out of a motorhome, and then a tent, and now we're into a bumper pull trailer. (We're fortunate to be blessed with family with property in the mountains so we can just leave our rigs out there year 'round after we winterize them.)

When we were in the tent it did dip down to the minus 30 range with the wind, and we had a (well ventilated) old school Coleman propane heater mounted on a 20lb propane bottle. With four kids, two adults, and two dogs we were almost always roasty toasty in the tent.

Some great memories are made every year around the campfire, on the toboggan hills, and doing some light winter hikes with the kids (ages 8, 6, 5, and 4 now.) As with anything with kids, as long as they are warm they are happy. ;-)

Having said that, I should specify that we're raising our kids in a manner that being outside is expected and we don't give them tonnes of screen (TV/technology) time to rot their brains out... They love being outside and generally they are way happier camping, regardless of the season.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:55 PM

when we going hunting and ice fishing we builded tend with wood struc and isolated tarp and wood stove and few btl antifreeze cheerss
Old 01-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
Maybe when the holiday relatives go home we can do some winter camping on Chestermere lake.

You are welcome to light a fire in a stove to make tea, cook a meal and stay over night in one of the shelters I will pitch.
Here is a suggested list of things to bring if you want to do any or all of the above.
1. Dress in clothes and boots warm enough to be outside all day without a fire. Top coat should have a hood. All clothes made with wool is good for cold weather.
2. A closed cell foam pad to sit on or lay on with a strap or belt for tying the pad to your back.
3. If you want to light a fire bring, lighter or matches, one pound of dry fire wood for every hour of fire. The stoves like wood near 1/2" in diameter. Old butcher knife and baton is good for splitting wood. A small folding saw is handy for large long pieces that need splitting.
4. Bring your firewood in waxed cardboard boxes ( grocers throw these boxes away every day). The cardboard is used for fire starter and as a mat on the snow. Waterproof bags are best for your gear when camping on snow.
5. Cook pots under 7" in diameter with lids. My favorite meal uses 3 kettles, one pot for tea or coffee, a pot for meat seared and boiled in a small amount of water with some montreal steak seasoning, The same for a pot of vegetables. Cheese and or butter. Chocolate or other sweets.
6. For sleep overnight, sleep pads for comfort and warmth, a bivy or waterproof tarp or poncho. Sleep in your outer warm clothes (just a suggestion) + Quilt or sleep bag.
7. Headlamp if you camp after dark.
I will pitch 4, 2, and 1 man tarps today Jan. 16 on Chestermere lake west side, south of 17 ave. call or text me at 403 382 8112 Arlen. This is a
lethbridge # so I will not answer but will call you back.