Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-09-2015, 03:32 PM

dave, with all do respect. your all over the place.

know one is saying klondike trappers is bad for trapping.

what is bad, is dispatching a wolverine with log on tv. showing outdated harvest methods. etc.

thats not paranoia, its common sense.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
mountain men,yukon men are the worst thing to happen to the wild fur industry in the past 20 years.
Quote:
dave, with all do respect. your all over the place.

know one is saying klondike trappers is bad for trapping.
I'm all over the place? Did I manage to help you to realize that these shows are not "the worst thing to happen to the wild fur industry in the past 20 years?" I hope so.....
Old 10-09-2015, 03:46 PM

i stand by my first statement. "mountain men and yukon men are the worst thing to happen to the wild fur industry in the last 20 years."
Old 10-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
i stand by my first statement. "mountain men and yukon men are the worst thing to happen to the wild fur industry in the last 20 years."
X2

As for the manditory trappers test if you had taken it Dave you would have a different understanding on this topic.

The seal trade is the exact same thing we are talking about now they started with the seals because it was eaisier to sway people. There agenda is trapping next. If you can't see this you should really open your eyes.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:40 PM

Not to start a huge ruckus but I do notice a difference of opinion here. What I find intresting is Dave I believe that you are in the northern half of AB and having met both brag and swt they are in the southern half. I do believe that the farmers and city folk in northern half also have a different perspective than southern half city folk.
It maybe that around where you are at Dave these shows have made it better for you to land owners. Where Calgary city folk are turned right off.

I personally like some of the shows. The ones I like the most are on the you tube. The tv shows can drop the drama any damn time that would be great. But they should not show any dispatching especially with a club or stick. The rise of the redneck in mainstream media just pushes the antis and people that believe they are higher class even farther from the redneck personna.
My 2 cents
Old 10-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
And the reason being......CUZ, it just is.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 PM

its been mentioned several times in this thread. you really would benefit from a trapper ed course. its not too late. good luck this season.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
As for the manditory trappers test if you had taken it Dave you would have a different understanding on this topic.

The seal trade is the exact same thing we are talking about now they started with the seals because it was eaisier to sway people. There agenda is trapping next. If you can't see this you should really open your eyes.
No, I absolutely would not have a different opinion if I had taken the now mandatory trapping course. I have attended workshops at the ATA where ethics and public opinion, etc were discussed and my instructors certainly did not take things to the level that you fellas do. If they had, I would have been very disappointed. Your arguments about seal hunts, one wolf sign on hwy II, trapping shows on tv, RCMP hats, which I have all addressed but you decided not to offer any follow up on after I did, would have sounded just as silly there as they do here. If you want to spread fear as a tool then you have to sell it and come up with REAL examples of the screaming hoards trying to knock down the gates of the city. You must be able to provide FACTS of this happening, not your opinion about what you think is going on. That tactic may work on young, easily persuaded minds however more critical thinking adults won't buy into it as easily.

You say that the anti-seal hunt activists went after those folks first because it was an easier sell to the public and now they are coming after Trappers. What do you offer as proof of this happening? You can't sell your fearmongering without FACTS because critical thinkers aren't going to go along with it just because you say so and offer no proof of it.

Did you go to the highly publicly advertised Rendezvous in LLB this year? How many protesters did you see there trying to draw attention to their campaign that you say they have against trapping? I couldn't make it this year but the year before, I did not see a single protester in RMH. Where are all of the activists if we are being attacked besides in some people's imagination?

Is there a reason to remain vigilant with groups against trapping.....Yes.
Is it important as Trappers to be ethical, humane and professional.....Yes.
Is it important to project a positive image of Trappers.....Yes.
Is it important to spread fear and paranoia in order to instill those traits in Trappers......NO!

Leadership 101 - Fear is the absolutely worst way to motivate people to act a certain way, you might as well use some form of a threat to try to motivate them. You have to present facts of any given situation and provide examples to justify your position on the issue. If you can't, or you have to create imaginary examples, or use your opinion instead of facts, then it's simply not there.

Give me concrete facts and examples of how the anti's are attacking our lifestyle and you may be able to convince me of the imminent threat that we are now facing. Something like an organized campaign of trap sabotage and/or theft or other malicious acts taken against Trappers. To me, your seal hunt theory/opinion, sounds a little over the top, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
its been mentioned several times in this thread. you really would benefit from a trapper ed course. its not too late. good luck this season.
Okay, I guess that I just have to settle with "CUZ" as an explanation then....lol.

BTW, I have the manual right here and I don't see a chapter with your opinion in it. Please don't tell me that you guys add your own opinions and theories to the course content in order to push a personal agenda.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM

I will be in Westlock on October 28 for a ATA directors meeting,that's not too far from you. I would love to show you real facts,an if you would like to speak on this topic with any of the other ten directors, president, or vise president I am sure I can arrange that too. The expert instructor and trapper you talked about earlier will be there too, he likes to have educated talks. All the issues presented are a real easy google. Hope to here from you Dave.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
I will be in Westlock on October 28 for a ATA directors meeting,that's not too far from you. I would love to show you real facts,an if you would like to speak on this topic with any of the other ten directors, president, or vise president I am sure I can arrange that too. The expert instructor and trapper you talked about earlier will be there too, he likes to have educated talks. All the issues presented are a real easy google. Hope to here from you Dave.
Why don't you want to present the FACTS publicly here on the forum? What are you afraid of?

If I want to talk to the President or anyone else in the ATA, as a member I will do exactly that. I was just thinking about that as it sounds to me like you fellas down south have your own version of what should be taught about ethics, etc that won't be found in the manual. I find that disturbing.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM

This is what I thought
Old 10-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well I watched it thought it was ok, boob tube entertainment, no more no less.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is what I thought
Actually, I do not do well in crowded, enclosed spaces something that I attribute to my service in the Military. That is why I'm best suited for something like trapping and is something that I enjoy doing.

Someone made me aware of the issues that you personally are having wrt your trapping in your area and you have my sympathizes with that. Although the fear and constant negativity may apply to you personally in your area, it does not apply to most of us that do not have to deal with that type of adversity. You can't look out your window, see it snowing and proclaim that it is snowing everywhere all over Alberta. That is exactly what you fellas are doing with your doom and gloom wrt to anti-trapping activists and it is not the case. You simply cannot take what's happening in your one small area and apply it to what is happening province wide.....or to a larger extent, all Trappers everywhere. Quite honestly, the fear mongering is getting a little long.

I'm going to start a thread just for you fellas titled, "Are there any anti-Trappers in your Area". Perhaps it is out of control like you would have people believe however I highly doubt it.....we'll see.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 PM

Check out Happy People on Netflix if you want to see an interesting trapping show
Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 PM

Dave this is total bull shat you speak of, this is country wide. I am just proposing us having a one to one in our ATA building so you can really realize what is really happening. I have provided you with my phone number an shuch before in private messages. No response, you sir just like to have the last word, one more post an you win. Congrats
Old 10-11-2015, 05:43 AM

just wanted to say "thank you!" too all the past/present/future folks at the ATA,FIC(and all the other pro trapping organizations). that have worked/work so hard for all of us.

i find some of the posts on this thread extremely embarrassing.

if any one has a spare copy of jim Mitchell's article "trapping licenses" from the 2014 winter issue. PLEASE forward it on to HD. in hopes of preventing the inevitable "train wreck".
Old 10-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Banned

Here are our hunting and trapping adversaries. This group was established in 1953 so they are not relatively new to the scene. They were the only anti hunting and trapping group to present their position in the House of Commons to the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development.

It is prudent to know who and what the threat to our lifestyle is however, I think that taking this threat to such extremes that some Trappers would disrupt trapping discussion on an open trapping forum and drive potential Trappers away, is taking things a little too far. There is strength in numbers and IMO, dissuading people from taking up trapping is detrimental to all of us. I am not suggesting that this group be ignored and written off as inconsequential, I merely feel that a rational balance between fear mongering and apathy must be achieved based on the actual threat.

I would have posted up links to other victories that this group claims as victories against us, but other than a couple of municipalities that banned trapping within their boundaries, there are none to post.

The following blog was written by the Fur Defenders. Please read the article and decide for yourself how much clout these folks have.

http://furbearerdefenders.com/blog/c...k-of-advocates

05/04/2015 - 11:24

On April 23, 2015, The Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals testified to a House of Commons committee via video conference. It was the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development. The topic? The licensing and regulations of hunting and trapping in Canada.

We expected to be one of many animal advocacy groups presenting at this committee; they may not like us, but we do represent a sizable portion of the voting public. It’s not uncommon for governments to listen to advocates, even if they don’t intend to take us seriously. It simply looks good to have had a true debate. But that wasn’t the case at this committee.

After a round of presentations by the Fur Institute of Canada (three representatives), the International Fur Federation, the North America Fur Auction and, at the end of the meeting, The Fur-Bearers, MP Robert Sopuck made this statement:

“I want to make it perfectly clear that Mr. Howie and The Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals was not a witness suggested by the Conservatives. I think it's very important to get that on the record.”

It was, in fact, an MP from the NDP Caucus who added our names to the meeting list. The Fur-Bearers was the only animal advocacy group to present in any of the several meetings on this subject; the rest were hunters, trappers or those who earn their living from those practices (such as biologists funded by lobby groups).

Mr. Sopuck did state he would welcome a debate – the actual quote is “bring it on.” But he refused to allow our representative to speak. Actually, the only member of the committee who allowed The Fur-Bearers to speak during the question and answer period was Liberal member John McKay. At the end of the meeting, Mr. McKay summarized by stating “Poor old Mr. Howie has been like a skunk at a garden party; I dare say that some of my colleagues might want to see him in one of Mr. Cahill's auctions.”

It is clear to us, following this meeting (and you can read the full transcripts here), that our government – and many of our elected officials – do not care what the general public think. To fill in the gaps, here are a few highlights from various members:

Dennis Bevington (Northwest Territories, NDP)

I'm beginning to wonder whether trappers in Canada are getting the rough end of the stick from the government.
Trappers are environmentalists; they are dealing with environment in many cases. Are there any specific federal programs to enhance the work that they do to protect the environment?
Blaine Calkins (Alberta, Conservative)

I think there's been an entire generation missed to political correctness, much to the delight of folks like Mr. Howie who have tried very hard to end an industry, to end a traditional way of life. While they might seem on the surface, through “political-correct speak”, to have the best of intentions, they certainly, I think, end up creating through unintended consequences more problems than they solve.
John McKay (Ontario, Liberal)

Mr. Howie, I watched with amusement Mr. Sopuck's anxiety as you gave your testimony. Apparently your major sin is that you were not a witness recommended by the Conservative party and you are clearly not singing from the same song sheet as other witnesses. It's a strange concept that we should have debate in this country. Mr. Sopuck raised a couple of issues and then went on to question other members more favourable to his viewpoint.
Robert Sopuck (Manitoba, Conservative)

On your other point, where you talked about the “bias” of biologists who are funded by perhaps hunting and trapping organizations, most of those organizations have very small amounts of money. I think it's very important to point out that The Humane Society of the United States has a budget of $60 million a year. So when we talk about bias we need to be very clear about what the real story is.
An election is coming in Canada. And it’s up to all of us to speak up for the animals. The disrespect and disregard that many elected officials show for animal lovers – and the animals themselves – must be remembered come polling day. Get out there and vote. If you don’t want to do it to exercise your rights as a citizen, do it to protect the fur-bearing animals of our nation.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:59 AM

figured it would take about a month,,,,,,,,oh look.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ists-1.3305971

no problems here?there?any where??
ya,right
Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
figured it would take about a month,,,,,,,,oh look.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ists-1.3305971

no problems here?there?any where??
ya,right
Meh, gotta check the pvr to see how to trap

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2015, 06:04 AM

dwight rodtka probably loves tv educated trappers even more that internet trappers.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
dwight rodtka probably loves tv educated trappers even more that internet trappers.
That's one of your problems right there, Brag, you think that you are better than everyone else.

Dwight Rodtka = Ravenlunatic (as well as multiple other aliases) has been/is an anti-snaring advocate and he's lobbied against snaring for awhile now. He is but ONE individual, not a legion of anti-snaring individuals.

IMO, if you are offering this article about TWO biologist's opinions (out of how many?) that the Trapping community is under attack, it is a poor choice. The story is not even anti-trapping and it never even mentioned trapping, it is about bounties. If you read the article and perceive it as a blatant attack on the trapping community, I find that odd. Did you read the individual comments below the article? I don't think that you could ever consider this issue objectively so, there's really not much point I guess?

As far as Klondike Trappers goes, the show is an absolute joke IMO. For me, it's like watching a train wreck, you want to look away but you just can't! The point that I tried to make about these shows is that with every one that is created, regardless of how bad it is, it is desensitizing the general public and in turn, trapping is gaining greater acceptance. Not that long ago Canada in the Rough was taken off TV, arguably because some people didn't like it. Now look where we are with new trapping related shows popping up all of the time. There is no public outcry about these shows airing and no pressure on the networks to take them off of the air. This is a good thing for us.....Try to think BIG picture.