Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Default NEW SHOW AIRING ON HISTORY ON THE 7 called Klondike Trappers

I love all the trapping shows that are sure becoming a hit on tv but my thoughts are its gonna make every joe in the country wanna become a trapper and go get their course, and then want a trapline when competition for traplines is already high. And im glad F&W is cracking down on the people who own traplines for " recreational properties" and build these big exspensive cabins on them making resale prices of them insanely high, when they are just using them for hunting properties for them and their wealthy friends.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralalbertasongdogslay View Post
I love all the trapping shows that are sure becoming a hit on tv but my thoughts are its gonna make every joe in the country wanna become a trapper and go get their course, and then want a trapline when competition for traplines is already high. And im glad F&W is cracking down on the people who own traplines for " recreational properties" and build these big exspensive cabins on them making resale prices of them insanely high, when they are just using them for hunting properties for them and their wealthy friends.
Jeesh relax, as soon as the average wanna be trapper gets off the couch and steps outside, feels the minus 30 bite and all the work that is put in they will retire to the couch and watch their shows.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2015, 07:07 AM

Haha true enough just felt like having a rant session
Old 10-02-2015, 07:30 AM

If you're a YouTuber I believe the guy from TheWildNorth is on that show. If you haven't watched his channel, you don't know what you're missing!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:11 AM

I have watched everyone of his videos so many times hes hilarious, so much more swearing on his channel on youtube then his show on wild tv. My fav quote from him on youtube is " shut the f@ck up charlie" haha
Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralalbertasongdogslay View Post
I have watched everyone of his videos so many times hes hilarious, so much more swearing on his channel on youtube then his show on wild tv. My fav quote from him on youtube is " shut the f@ck up charlie" haha
Now I got to check this out!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-03-2015, 10:47 AM

His channel is thewildnorth and charlie is his black lab he brags that he has the only beaver retriever in the nwt lol and when hes beaver hunting and charlie whines when hes tied to the quad he says the quote its one of the best trapping channels on youtube thats forsure
Old 10-03-2015, 02:13 PM

My favorite line is when he got that big beaver under the ice. "Holy f*** now that's a big f*****in beaver.
The wild north is his channel on you tube and I believe his TV show is called fur harvesters on wild TV.
http://youtu.be/qEpTuyBArWM

I hope the link works
Also WARNING bad language in video.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Banned

It certainly seems like trapping has turned the corner. What was once taboo certainly seems to more accepted now. Could you imagine all of these trapping shows being aired 20 years ago.....I can't. There'd be a huge public outcry and networks would be pressured to take the shows off of the air. Now, there are a variety of trapping shows like Trapping Inc, Yukon Men, Mountain Men, etc. I like it, in fact I think that it is outstanding and acceptance is great for trapping as a whole!

Thanks for mentioning this show, I will definitely be watching it October 7th!

http://www.history.ca/klondike-trappers/
Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM

It definatly looks like a good show, have you been watching the new season of yukon men dave where "charlie" puts two foot holds right on the moose and covers them with moose hair and doubles up and then he is followed by the alpha and uses his own scent for lure. Thats a genius set and one ill be putting in my arsenal if i ever find a wolf kill the only problem i see would be catching eagles if its in open coutry thats visible to the air so it would have to be in the thick bush and your pan tension would have to be spot on. And i think some of the antis are maybe realising that us trappers are conservationists and only doing all the species both predators and preyy favors but keeping the carrying capacity at optimum levels or atleast doing are best. I definatly think these shows are gonna inspire a new trapping trend.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:17 AM

trapping inc and furharvesters are both good shows from the few i've seen.

mountain men,yukon men are the worst thing to happen to the wild fur industry in the past 20 years.

setting traps on a carcass,,,

too bad.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Banned

Yeah, I watched the first two of this year's Yukon Man and I thought that they were great! Charlie caught those 3 wolves in one day....Pretty hard to argue with success. There may be some that would say, oh, he's shouldn't do this and he shouldn't do that, or, they shouldn't show them using a branch to dispatch a wolverine, or whatever. Hiding, being secretive or keeping low on the radar about trapping does absolutely nothing for the lifestyle whatsoever and I think that these guys do a great job of bring trapping out into the open.

The point is that trapping is growing in acceptance because they are showing those kind of things. The general public doesn't know the finer details of set placement or what happened when Charlie lost a wolf from the snare, they just see someone trapping. I haven't heard any huge public outcry about any of these shows.

I would like to see a part time Trapper go up there where these substance hunters and Trappers do it to survive and tell them that they are doing it wrong because that is not what is in the manual. Now that would be a great episode to watch.....LOL!
Old 10-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Keep in mind like all the reality shows out there they are made for TV...take most with a grain of salt filter through the BS and enjoy
Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 AM

I enjoy the shows. Only concern I have is the Americans are still using old leg hold traps while we need to buy expensive certified traps. They probably buy
all our old traps at firesale prices.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Yeah i think using a #1 long spring for marten is ridiculous us i way behind canada for humane trapping thats forsure
Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 PM

This show stars in a half hour
Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 PM

So far they have shown what not to do

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Banned

I pvr'd Klondike Trappers and I'll watch it a bit later. What are the reviews so far?
Old 10-07-2015, 09:22 PM

This show is a joke. More scripted crap
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 PM

x2 Hollywood all the way

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:58 AM

Pvr'd it also, just finished watching....
$1000 for a Lynx?
$700 for a single marten?
Am I wrong in assuming these are way off? (Rhetorical)
This among a couple other things kind of make it seem bogus. Trap setter anyone?
Just my inexperienced opinion.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
trapping inc and furharvesters are both good shows from the few i've seen.

mountain men,yukon men are the worst thing to happen to the wild fur industry in the past 20 years.

setting traps on a carcass,,,

too bad.
X2. Setting on a carcass? How did that go for him
Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yeah, I watched the first two of this year's Yukon Man and I thought that they were great! Charlie caught those 3 wolves in one day....Pretty hard to argue with success. There may be some that would say, oh, he's shouldn't do this and he shouldn't do that, or, they shouldn't show them using a branch to dispatch a wolverine, or whatever. Hiding, being secretive or keeping low on the radar about trapping does absolutely nothing for the lifestyle whatsoever and I think that these guys do a great job of bring trapping out into the open.

The point is that trapping is growing in acceptance because they are showing those kind of things. The general public doesn't know the finer details of set placement or what happened when Charlie lost a wolf from the snare, they just see someone trapping. I haven't heard any huge public outcry about any of these shows.

I would like to see a part time Trapper go up there where these substance hunters and Trappers do it to survive and tell them that they are doing it wrong because that is not what is in the manual. Now that would be a great episode to watch.....LOL!
The growing acceptance is a great thing, but clubbing a wolverine to death for a TV show? A lost snare is no big deal? You're a fool to think this is an accepted practise. These reality TV shows have contacted a lot of trapping organizations to do shows and they are turned down, one is the Yukon trappers association. They only want people to watch the shows, so they find the most dramatic person to star in the show, who takes risks and does stuff people would like to watch. Would you watch the rodeo if no one got bucked off. We have no worries? Has anyone drove from Calgary to Edmonton an seen the huge billboards with the wolf pup on it? Wolf matters ?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Banned

You missed the point entirely. These show are becoming more and more popular and more of them are springing up all of the time because people want to see them. The end result is that people are becoming de-sensitized by them and trapping is gaining more acceptance as a result of it. It wasn't too long ago that there'd be protests and public pressure to stop airing them. Attitudes in the general public are changing and this is a time when trapping organizations should be taking advantage by promoting our lifestyle, not being quiet and secretive to fly low under the radar and spreading paranoia and fear about the screaming hoards set on destroying the trapping lifestyle. That simply is not the situation that we are in right now.

When trapping associations start denouncing these shows and start lobbying against them, who needs Fur Defenders, PETA and the multitude of vegan organizations? That's their job for goodness sakes, not Trappers.....it's ridiculous! Not participating in the production of these shows is one thing but holy cow, saying that they are the worst thing to happen to trapping in twenty years is quite another.

WRT to the wolf sign on hwy 2. I haven't seen it but I'm familiar with the Little Smoky caribou herd issue. It has NOTHING to do with trapping itself, it has everything to do with the wolf cull, whether it be trapping, poisoning or shooting from aircraft and it is NOT a group(s) attacking Trappers. How can anyone even twist that around to be an anti-trapping issue? The international fashion industry was promoting fur on the runways this year with no protests that I've heard about, and trapping related shows are booming on tv with no protests that I've heard about. Who do you guys think that we are under attack from, besides ourselves?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 AM

Right in there agenda is to stop snaring and that's the start. The guy Andrew in the nwt is a great thing to show he is the real deal. The others are absolute fools. If you think they are substance hunters an trappers they kinda are but they are more like subsidized hunters an trappers from the gov.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 AM

wasn't very long ago that the anti fur people nearly abolished the RCMP hat. they are very much still a factor. silly to think otherwise as a trapper.

as long they keep showing marten hanging in outdated leg holds on the discovery channel. all the progress in recent years with regards to humane trapping is lost.

these shows are great avenue to showcase modern trapping to the public. unfortanatly that is not happening with some.

god, i sure hope the old guy gets his truck started in the next episode!! riveting television.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 AM

Dave I think you should talk to some of the northern communities that not very long ago depended on the seal trade. They didn't even need a tv show on clubbing seals the antis did it for them. How did that turn out? they lost a way of life an now are hugely dependent on the gov check. I have heard that since the EU ban on seal products that suicide has become a real problem. They have nothing to live for now. The cemeteries are full of younger people who should be working a meaningful job that would provide self worth. I see where you are coming from Dave but there should be some class to the shows, the antis have allot more money an time. And there are allot of them.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Seems like it will be the same outcome as duck dynasty, Yukon men, and other outdoor based shows have had. Glamorize being a "redneck" causing a huge increase in uneducated unethical outdoor enthusiasts. Wonderful.

Why the drama? Why not the truth?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

I don't think that the seal HUNT has anything to do with trapping so why even mention it? The seal HUNT is a much more complex issue, a lot more complex than trapping. Are you suggesting that PETA is conducting the same anti-trapping campaign as the seal HUNT? No they aren't.

WRT the group that caught the RCMP's ear to ban the muskrat hats: How long did that last? Due to a large outcry from the general public who wanted the hats to remain, the Prime Minister stepped up and reversed the decision. You guys are so focuses on the perceived threats that you can't see the positives coming out. A large public outcry supporting keeping the muskrat hats is a good indicator of where trapping stands in the general public....can't you see that? A very large portion of the population supports Canadian traditions which also includes trapping. We need their support and we are getting it.

As far as using outdated traps, they are perfectly legal to use in some jurisdictions. Non Trappers wouldn't know the difference anyway, they just see someone trapping. This is another one of those, well that's not what we do so it's bad, type of thing. We should be focusing on issues in Alberta and stop trying to save the world. Instead of slagging other Trappers, the ATA should be capitalizing on the fact that rules governing trapping in Alberta are much stricter and Canada adheres to the legislation iaw AIHTS. Issues like this actually HELPS Alberta Trappers but it takes some outside the box thinking.

I recently had a similar online discussion with Alberta Trappers about these shows and out of numerous different people in the discussion only one voiced his concerns that Klondike Trappers made us look bad. Other than most trappers stating that it was scripted, phony, etc., no one voiced any concern about these shows being bad for trapping. Many didn't think about how these shows are actually helping to promote our lifestyle, which is a good thing, until I brought the subject up. I think that once it was brought up, the light went on for some people. Here's what one well know Alberta Trapper and Trapping instructor posted:

"Actually, Dave is correct. I'm noticing more and more people taking the trapping course in the past few years with a lot more youth showing up as well."

It's unfortunate that some Trappers have been in the fear and paranoia game for so long that they can't see all of the positives that are in play right now. Until they do, they will miss the opportunity to ride this wave of popularity and seriously promote our lifestyle. I guess that it comes down to whether you're a glass half full type of person or a glass half empty type of person.

Have a good day, I'm going trapping.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta View Post
Seems like it will be the same outcome as duck dynasty, Yukon men, and other outdoor based shows have had. Glamorize being a "redneck" causing a huge increase in uneducated unethical outdoor enthusiasts. Wonderful.

Why the drama? Why not the truth?
Isn't that why the powers that be decided to make the Trapping course mandatory?

The drama is there to attract viewers. These shows are not meant to be documentaries,and that's not the way that they should be viewed. Poking holes in techniques and equipment used is something that Trappers see but it's not something that non-Trappers would even notice. All that they see is someone trapping.