Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Default F and W

Another great post about F and W. My buddy just went in to get his trapping license 20 min before lunch and wouldn't let him write the test because it is too close to lunch. WTF.
That with the botched job of taking 4 months to get the paperwork done and a lot of BS for my tramline purchase it makes me shake my head lol
Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Snivel servants.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Another great post about F and W. My buddy just went in to get his trapping license 20 min before lunch and wouldn't let him write the test because it is too close to lunch. WTF.
That with the botched job of taking 4 months to get the paperwork done and a lot of BS for my tramline purchase it makes me shake my head lol
So buddy expected civil servant to give up lunch for him, or taxpayers to pay overtime so he could write his exam when he wanted to? Why didn't he just come in 5 minutes before closing and ask to write his test? If I was going to have to write a test for something, I'd ask when i should come to write the test.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 PM

HAHA you guys rock. I expected a comment like that from you Okie. If it were me I would have let the guy write the test and asked my boss if it went into the lunch hour that it would be okay to extend my lunch. Why would you turn a guy around that drove across town or out of town to come do a 30 min test?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Twenty minutes before lunch isn't exactly the best time to drop in, Nube. I've had good luck with my dealings with F&W regarding trapping issues but I scheduled a specific time to write my test in Barrhead.

I had some questions about trapping in the Stony Plain district so I dropped into the office one day. There were no Officers there so I wrote a note and that afternoon I had an email with my answers and attached documents. When I thanked the Officer and commended him on how fast he got back to me he said that he wanted to get my note off of his desk asap so he could tackle more pressing matters. Cudos to him!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
HAHA you guys rock. I expected a comment like that from you Okie. If it were me I would have let the guy write the test and asked my boss if it went into the lunch hour that it would be okay to extend my lunch. Why would you turn a guy around that drove across town or out of town to come do a 30 min test?
You don't know what the other person had planned. Maybe he had other things to do beside babysit your buddy. Trapping Regs and the ATA website both advise to "Call to make an appointment to take the exam". If I chose not to do that, I wouldn't go around complaining that I wasn't acommodated and blame someone else. I guess you're right, that's just me.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Ya I guess I am too old fashioned and would got he extra mile or take one for the team kinda guy. There were 2 officers and one front desk lady from what my buddy saw in the office. I just thought it wouldn't take much for one of them to pend an extra 10 or 15 min in the office and delay the lunch a bit is all.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Ya I guess I am too old fashioned and would got he extra mile or take one for the team kinda guy. There were 2 officers and one front desk lady from what my buddy saw in the office. I just thought it wouldn't take much for one of them to pend an extra 10 or 15 min in the office and delay the lunch a bit is all.
Union / civil servant - the clock hits 12 and you hear the pinging of the wrenches hitting the floor. I'm old school too and would agree one of them could have delayed their feeding for 15 minutes to help a guy out.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 PM

Nube is a union civil servant! But his occupation is a duty to the public, sometimes in life threatening situations.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM

That is probably why this is hard for me to understand. Heck I can't count how many times my lunch or dinners have been wrecked in the middle of cooking them because I get to go help someone. I know if this situation came up a lot then I imagine it would get frustrating for the staff but I can't see this type of thing happening all the time.
No big deal guys. This must be my usual rant for the day Carry on
Old 07-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Gone Hunting

The dude in the office must have been a bone rack if he couldn't wait a few more minutes to get to his lunch.
Why would an office close at lunch anyway? Does the whole world shut down for lunch.
And don't even start whining about some poor slob who is entitled to a lunch break. I know lots of guys who work through lunch or coffeee break and we should be dang glad they do.
I can imagine a house fire where Nube would say hold that thought I'll be back in an hour. It's my lunch time you know.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The dude in the office must have been a bone rack if he couldn't wait a few more minutes to get to his lunch.
Why would an office close at lunch anyway? Does the whole world shut down for lunch.
And don't even start whining about some poor slob who is entitled to a lunch break. I know lots of guys who work through lunch or coffeee break and we should be dang glad they do.
I can imagine a house fire where Nube would say hold that thought I'll be back in an hour. It's my lunch time you know.
Naw, he just gets overtime if he has to work beyond his shift.

Seriously, how dumb does a person have to be to walk in unannounced and demand a test when everywhere you look it says "Call to schedule a test" and then complain that someone won't take care of them. Take some freakin responsibility for yourself. Your mommy doesn't work there. Sheesh.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

20 minutes before lunch to write a 30 minutes test....If the day was slack and I was not hungry maybe but if the day was the poops and I was starving well see ya later cuz I am going to eat! A little better planning and preparation would have avoided this all together.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Actually Okie I get no overtime. I worked 0 hrs of overtime last year bud we don't get any and haven't had much for about 5 years now. lol
The time my buddy said when he walked out of the building said 11:35 on his watch. The gal said they have up to an hr but most people do it in 20-30 min.

I also will add he asked for an appointment and she denied it as well. This is the second time he has gone in to write it. The first time she said there was no officer to give the test.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Actually Okie I get no overtime. I worked 0 hrs of overtime last year bud we don't get any and haven't had much for about 5 years now. lol
The time my buddy said when he walked out of the building said 11:35 on his watch. The gal said they have up to an hr but most people do it in 20-30 min.

I also will add he asked for an appointment and she denied it as well. This is the second time he has gone in to write it. The first time she said there was no officer to give the test.
Thats Bs an officer does not have to be there to write the test.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 PM

Default Civil Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammer View Post
Union / civil servant - the clock hits 12 and you hear the pinging of the wrenches hitting the floor. I'm old school too and would agree one of them could have delayed their feeding for 15 minutes to help a guy out.
My 2 cents worth for what it's worth,i to am a UNION CIVIL SERVANT,and sorry lunch comes when the floor is finished,where I work any ways,CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY,IMO I would take the time to accomidate,,but that's just the way I am. Peter
Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
You would think that with that much staff they would alternate time they take for lunch....after all a lot of people try to do business at this time! Don't see the other business like post office or banks closing!!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:56 AM

Default test

Nube, if I were F & W I would install a trappers redneck doorbell. Please press if you want to write trappers exam 20 minutes before closing time. The test must be supervised and marked, takes at least 1 hour.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM

They should have let him write it, snatched it up at the time needed to mark it before lunch, and failed him for not answering all the questions..
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM

The office in Edmonton closes their doors for lunch.

Many ppl do business over the lunch break.

I have a hard time believing that they can't rotate someone through to answer questions and do other tasks while one is on lunch break.

I was also basically told that only one person in all of Alberta had the information that I wanted on a specific draw.
Hard to believe that.
In this computer age, the info should be at the press of a button.

No one operates in a vacumm when you're in that line of work.

I've noticed some doctor offices shutting down for lunch as well.
They won't answer the phones at all.
Hmph.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM

How about he actually takes a trapping course? No issues then
Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post

Yup.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Government office. Doors are locked at 12:00 and opened back up at 1:00. So yes government is shut down everyday for an hour. They do not think that maybe the only time some people can get down to do some official business is on their own lunch breaks.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Hunters Ed $100.....Trappers Ed $700

I want to take the course.....but......

Last edited by drake; 07-21-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post

Boy the price is terrible. When I was teaching the trapping courses only 15 years ago the cost was 40 bucks with the manual. What the heck happened that it became so expensive? Why does greed enter everything?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Boy the price is terrible. When I was teaching the trapping courses only 15 years ago the cost was 40 bucks with the manual. What the heck happened that it became so expensive? Why does greed enter everything?
I notice that the PeaceRiver local is getting sponsorship from the ACA. Cost is $170. This is great. Unfortunatly I'm in edmonton
Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Its Alberta!

Greed driven and me first!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM

I can see both sides of this rant/story.....

It clearly states call to make an appt. What was the harm in coming back at 1:00 and writing it....

It takes up to an hour and with any test there are protocols to accomodate everyone.

Now if someone decided to give him the test and stay into their lunch would have there been a post about how somebody went above the call of duty?

The oilfield mentality of wanting everything now is one reason why our quality of life has actually gotten worse.

In past there used to be signs for when people would close early when business was slow to go look after their quality of live and it is something i thought we would support...

The singn said Simply..... GONE FISHING!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post

I think that you might be getting the $700 quote from somewhere that you have to stay and pay room and board. Local courses cost a little over $300 if you don't include the $50 cost of the manual. Keep your eye on this link to find where they are running.

http://www.albertatrappers.com/trapper-courses.html

"The Alberta Trappers’ Association conducts several training courses every year throughout the province. The courses are 28 hours in length and can be delivered through several designs: evenings Monday to Friday and all day Saturday; or, 10-hour days Friday to Sunday (approximately). Depending on class size, either one or two instructors are tasked to the course. If there is no course scheduled for your area and you would like to arrange one and act as a contact person, please contact our office for details. Cost is $373.00, includes Education Manual."
Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 PM

Thanks Dave for clarifying the real cost.

I pay $300 a year for all my hunting tags so a one time expense of $375 for a trapping license for life seems pretty reasonable.