Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 07:53 AM

Default Big Game Hunting Survey Complaint process

Hello everyone,

I am following up on concerns over the "Game meat Survey" from January 10 & 17, 2024

I became concerned with this research, how it had been carried out and it integrity since receiveng this email and then looking at the survey (which is research).

I have reasearched the issues myself and come up with a 2-3 step prosses to register complaints about this research including a FOIP complaint; as our information was used to promote participation in a thrid party research program.

I emailed the researchers directly and got no reply. I talked to Todd Zimmerling of ACA and he did a group email with researchers and no reply. I've had dialogue with Mr Zimmerling, he addmitted "issues" but he had a willingness to outlook them because he wants ACA to have a "relationship" with the U of A. Mr Zimmerling has said he thinks I am searching for nefarious intentions; which I am not.

If have emailed the Research Ethics Board at U of A trying to get the research prosal, any registered conflicts of interest, or what exactly this data will be used for etc. I haven't gotten any tangible information from anyone.

Here are my issues
1. the Alberta government used my personal data outside its purposed intentions and for the purpose of 3rd party research
2. I can not get a clear answer on any possible conflicts of interest the researchers may have
3. I can not get an answer on exactly what the data will be used for as proposed by this research (the head reseacher of this projects main focus is acceptance of 3D (lab cultured/cell based) meat. Will it be used for that? I ask this because most of the questions are questions you would ask around marketing and testing of a product.
4. This Research was so poorly written and the interchangable use of terms that are meant to be percise gives me pause as to the accuaracy of the data it will produce. Just an example is that this research included fowl and small game which aren't Big game, this reasearch included farmed game meat and farmed meat is just farmed meat.

So i the next posts I will lay out the compliant prosess and for what institution.

1. Alberta Government FOIP
2. U of A Research and Ethics Board
3. ACA Funder of the project

If I left anything out please let me know. Also, it would be could to share here any feedback that we get.

Limina

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 03-12-2024 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-11-2024, 08:26 AM

Default Complaint 1- Alberta Government FOIP

This FOIP complaint is filed because our data that was collected by the Alberta government was used for something outside its intended purpose, which is a WIN cards and hunting licenses.

Further, to that FOIP also greatly restricts the use of personal data for research purposes and particularly third party.

There are three documents you must provide.
1. the OIPC complaint form (get document here https://oipc.ab.ca/request-a-review-file-a-complaint/ scroll to the bottom and hit the link button to download the form)
2. Copies of the two emails you receive January 10 and 17th, 2024 (you must provide your showning your email)
3. A letter detailing the misuse of your personal information (ATEMPLATE - FOIP Complaint.docttached)

I have attached the complaint form and a template of the letter detailing misuse of personal information that you could add your own information to. Please read the actual letter and familiarize yourself with the issues.

Once you have these 3 documents together you email them to
Complaint_Review@oipc.ab.ca This should take you under an hour and hopefully you think its worth your time.

If you would like more information about FOIP, use of personal data or OIPC please look here, Albertarelm has a really clear blurb on their site as to how they can use your information.

https://www.albertarelm.com/cust.privacy.page

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/8427.../foipguide.pdf

https://www.alberta.ca/file-a-compla...privacy-breach

https://oipc.ab.ca/request-a-review-file-a-complaint/

Please feel free to cut and past this- share it so others report it too.

It would be nice to get numbers on how many people followed through with this complaint.

thanks

L
Old 03-11-2024, 05:18 PM

Have you spoken with AlbertaRELM?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-11-2024, 07:17 PM

Default Relm

Relm is run by Alberta Enviornment and Parks, any privacy breaches by any part of the Alberta government are cover by FOIP which is handled by Office of Information and Privacy Commissioner.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:37 AM

Default Complaint #2 UofA

Hello All,

Here is the second step to the Complaints process which is to the University of Alberta's Research and Ethics Board.

I've attached and also copied and pasted it to the body of this message. You can write your own letter or use this one.

Then email it to
Research Ethics Office reoffice@ualberta.ca

the letter

March 12, 2024

University of Alberta
Research Ethic Office (REO)

Re: Research Project “Game Meat Consumption in Alberta “ or “Hunting Big Game Meat in Alberta”

To The Research Ethics Board of The University of Alberta,

I’m writing you today with concerns about a research project called “Game Meat Consumption survey” or “Hunting Big Game Meat in Alberta” through the University of Alberta.
I have tried to email the researchers directly and have not received a reply.

I would like to inform you this research project has not been received well within at least a portion of the hunting community for various reasons. The first of which is the inaccurate use of terms, ideas such as “small game” like rabbit, fowl and even fish were in the research when it’s supposed view was about “Big Game” . Terms like farmed game meat and wild game meat are used but there is no such thing as “farmed game meat”. The lack of knowledge in the area of hunting is apparent in this research and I am sure that will skew the data that it correlates.
Because of the lack of knowledge many possible participants felt that the survey was not worth it or didn’t make sense.

I’ve also been trying to ascertain both through Alberta Conservation Association (ACA) and the University of Alberta (U of A), whether any conflicts of interest have been identified with regards to this project. I think that many people/hunters wanted to know that any information generated by this project wouldn’t further the primary researcher, Dr Wendy Wismer’s other projects in 3-D printed/lab-cultured/lab-grown meat acceptance. Though I do think it’s possible that this hasn’t been identified as a conflict of interest, some of the human participants who have been asked to give their information in the survey clearly might think that it could be a conflict of interest. As such, they are looking for formal response as to how exactly how their information will be used, to my knowledge, no one has received a reply from the University of Alberta at any level, as to whether there has been a conflict of interest identified or where their data will be used exactly. It is likely, that at least some of the respondents of this research survey, would have strong negative feelings if they found out in the future that their data was used in the furtherance of 3D/lab-grown/cultured meats and that they would consider this a conflict of their interests.

Lastly, I received two emails through the Government of Alberta website called AlbertaRelm.com that is part of the Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) directing me to participate in this research project, one received January 10, 2024 and one received reminding me to participate in this research project dated January 17, 2024. I have filed a FOIP Complaint with the Office of Privacy and Information Commissioner (OIPC) about the misuse of my personal data (section 33c) and further to this, the misuse of my personal data for the purposes of directing participation into a third-party human research project (section 42).

Collection of Personal Information
“Information you provide to Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) is collected under the authority of Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act and is managed in accordance with Part 2 of the FOIP Act. Your personal information is being collected for the purpose of creating a WiN account and will be used for natural resource management and administration, which includes the enforcement of applicable laws. The personal information provided will be managed by Aspira, an agent of the Crown. It will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose by AEP without your consent, or unless required to do so by law. Should you wish to have your personal information removed, corrected, or have concerns pertaining to your WiN account, please contact the Help Desk at 1-888-944-5494 or visit AlbertaRelm.com” -https://www.albertarelm.com/cust.privacy.page

It appears that the UofA does have some best practices set out for the use of government email lists to recruit participation in Research Projects in this case it is the AHS but I could easily extrapolate that this could be a guideline for best practices in other research projects. In any case these best practices were not followed.

“4) Use of email to recruit potential participants: The REB has been informed that use of email to recruit a participant does not meet the standard outlined in the AHS email policy. As such, the REB is unlikely to approve of any email-based methods of contact with potential participants for recruitment purposes at this time. Scenarios will be considered on a case-by-case basis, ensuring compliance with AHS and University of Alberta policies.”
- Use of Email to Communicate with Study Participants Guidance https://cms.cloudfront.ualberta.ca/r...l-guidance.pdf

Please consider this letter a written formal complaint about the “Game Meat Consumption Survey” or “Hunting Big Game Meat in Alberta” Research Project through the University of Alberta, I am hoping the Research and Ethics Board will review this project and provide feedback.

If you require any further information you can contact me at ___________________________

Sincerely,

Tags
complaint, game meat, government, survey