Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Lots of McGregor haters on here. Diaz is cocky to, these guys are all good fighters. Don't forget someone jumped 2 weight classes.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Lots of McGregor haters on here. Diaz is cocky to, these guys are all good fighters. Don't forget someone jumped 2 weight classes.
Diaz also jumped up a weight class. 170 seemed to be a more natural weight for both of them, I don't buy that as an excuse at all. If anything, he should have been better without the stress of that weight cut. Top picture is at a 145 weigh in, bottom is from Friday night at 170.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Not making excuses. I know Diaz moved to, was just making a point. Everyone loses eventually. It was a good fight, it only takes 1 shot either way.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 PM

Dana's post-fight interview hilarious. Edgar asks him what's next for Nate, instantly replies 'who knows, Nate's got money now. Anybody asks me to accurately predict the Diaz boys, got another think coming'
Old 03-06-2016, 09:33 PM

Good post fight interview, I seen the 2 of them.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Not unlike the other high dollar PPVs I've paid for, which involve little clothing and much physical contact, I ain't paying for personality!😉
Old 03-06-2016, 10:06 PM

Mcgregor called Aldo and Dos Anjos pu$$ies today on Facebook.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
That's because he found out what happens when he picks on someone his own size. Much safer to pick on them.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
I think if Rousey took her a little more seriously next time, she'd have no problem. Rousey should have dominated Holm on the ground, but she tried to prove to everyone how much her stand up had improved. It's good that she lost though, now she knows she has to bust her ass to get the title back, instead if just being lazy and assuming she'll keep it.

When a person is too dominant a champ for too long, it gets to their head. They think they're invincible (Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, now Rousey and McGregor to a lesser extent- He just got that arrogance sooner than most would have), and when a decent match finally comes along, they're not prepared for it.
For Rousey to dominate Holm on the ground she would have to take her down and keep her there which she could not I do t think a rematch would have a different conclusion.

Mack
Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That's because he found out what happens when he picks on someone his own size. Much safer to pick on them.
I think Dos Anjos would school Connor too. RDA is a beast and big for the division too which will give CM big problems. In fact probably he would get destroyed by Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov? too.

I think Connor has potential but like I've said before hasn't been really tested. No one has taken him down and pushed him on the mat before, Mendes might have been able to but he took the fight on short notice and was too out of shape to impose a wrestlers game plan on him.

I also said after is last fight that Aldo KO may have been a fluke in the sense that yes he did KO Aldo but he might not be able to replicate those results consistently. He might be able to do it but 13 seconds wasn't a long enough fight to show case Connor's skills or lack of whichever the case may be. I honestly think Edgar would be a tough fight for him too, as Edgar has never ending cardio, great mobility, excellent wrestling and durability all of which could give McGregor fits.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-07-2016, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
For Rousey to dominate Holm on the ground she would have to take her down and keep her there which she could not I do t think a rematch would have a different conclusion.

Mack
I think Rhonda has the skills to do it but she would have to implement a much smarter and more cautious game plan like Meisha did. She rushed in over confident in her striking, after having success with Betch Corriea (sp?) and got rocked early, got mad, frustrated and tried to bum rush a very good counter puncher. Bad mistake, obviously. I think if RR wasn't already rocked she probably could've gotten and kept the take down, I also think HH was very prepared for the clinch game of Rhonda. Tate's takedowns came off a trip and double leg if I remember correctly, and Rhonda can do the trip but I'm not sure if she has a good double leg.

Also her corner should've told her to avoid Holly in the second round and try and give her a chance to recover from her beating in the first. This would allow Rhonda to calm down, get her wind and head back and have a chance of winning in the later rounds. In betweeen rounds they told her something like, "keep it up, you're doing great and your striking is fine" lol thatwas atrocious advice.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-07-2016, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Yep mouthpiece still jawing,

I called him the woodpecker, tap tap tap ... Tap tap tap is all you hear....

Rich bugger though!

Now back to the show

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 AM

Once Rhonda gets her med's figured out she will be back and the champ again(if she wants it, she may have grown accustomed to the movie star lazy life).
Connor is a mouthpiece, but other than him the ufc is fairly vanilla. Aldo and Edgar for sure beat him(don't forget that Aldo had made Dana mad by ducking some fights, and Dana would not give him a warm up fight) Edgar will smother him. I think Diaz only took the fight at 170 because he wouldn't be able to make weight at anything less due to 11 notice for camp.
Connor does bring it, and anyone who throws caution to the wind like that gets a little respect. A lot of early fighters have this but then become champ and tend to fight a lot safer. It will be interesting to see how Connor bounces back. Once fighters get their first major injury or ko, they seem to dial it back alot.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Yeah after GSP got knocked out by Serra he dialed it back too. Too much at stake really and it is partly Dana's fault. He chastises fighters for not "going for it" but then releases fighters who may lose one or two close fights in a row. He has released fighters who have come off a fight of the night performance but on the losing end, how is that going to encourage fighters to go for broke?

With so much to lose by losing the fighters now realize that playing it safe is their best bet usually. Sure no bonuses but no pink slips either.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:00 PM

I said it before and I called that Nate Diaz would submit him in the second round. what I did not expect was seeing how ineffective the left hand of McGregor was. he panicked wrestle him to the ground to buy sometime eventhough he knew that Diaz has a black belt in BJJ which tells ya how bad he got hurt with that barrage of punches.

and to the people who are saying that he jumped 2 weight classes, you got it wrong. he jumped one class as Nate Diaz usually fight in 155 lbs. diaz weighed at 169 lbs and Connor at 168lbs. this was basically a fight between two guys who are in the same weight class but did not have to cut weight

I used to train in both kickboxing and BJJ during university for fun and I met and sparred with GSP at a seminar. all those fighters walk 25 to 35 pounds above their fighting weight. GSP walks around at 205 and fights in 170.

McGregor is a great fighter but he belongs in the 145 lbs division where he can cut weight and be the bigger man and bully the smaller fighters. Frankie Edgar will kill him next
Old 03-07-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I thought he was quite humble and respectful in the post fight interviews. He basically analyzed where it mostly went wrong and he was right. Nate can fight at this weight and go for a long time and Conor underestimated how much a guy like Nate can take. Rather than pick at him he tried to finish him and ended up gassing himself out. Basically lost because he was absolutely not "efficient with his energy", as he put it. I don't think he copped out at all.

I actually like watching both these guys. They are both mouthpieces and will talk trash all day. It is absolutely in both of their game plans. I am happy to see Nate win but not because I think Conor deserved a beating, but more just because Nate deserved a big win. Both will be back and I look forward to their future fights...

very well said.
100% agree
Old 03-07-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
I said it before and I called that Nate Diaz would submit him in the second round. what I did not expect was seeing how ineffective the left hand of McGregor was. he panicked wrestle him to the ground to buy sometime eventhough he knew that Diaz has a black belt in BJJ which tells ya how bad he got hurt with that barrage of punches.

and to the people who are saying that he jumped 2 weight classes, you got it wrong. he jumped one class as Nate Diaz usually fight in 155 lbs. diaz weighed at 169 lbs and Connor at 168lbs. this was basically a fight between two guys who are in the same weight class but did not have to cut weight

I used to train in both kickboxing and BJJ during university for fun and I met and sparred with GSP at a seminar. all those fighters walk 25 to 35 pounds above their fighting w7eight. GSP walks around at 205 and fights in 170.

McGregor is a great fighter but he belongs in the 145 lbs division where he can cut weight and be the bigger man and bully the smaller fighters. Frankie Edgar will kill him next

How can you say he did not jump 2 wieght classes when he normally fights at 145 and he fought at 168 which is 170 class?

Mack
Old 03-08-2016, 06:31 AM

I like Holm but I didn't think she was in the same shape Saturday night as she was when she fought Rousey.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
How can you say he did not jump 2 wieght classes when he normally fights at 145 and he fought at 168 which is 170 class?

Mack
Because he was training to fight at 155 before Dos Anjos pulled out. He also didn't weight in at 145 for this fight he weighed in within a pound of Diaz. Connor is Big for a 145 lb weight class fighter and will probably have trouble making that weight for much longer, probably part of the reason for wanting to test the waters at 155lbs.

I personally think they should weigh in on fight day and prevent this weight cutting crap. It's dangerous and doesn't prove who the best fighter at a weight usually is, just who the best fighter AND weight cutter is. Obviously Connor doesn't enjoy the power at advantage at 170 lbs that he does at 145 lbs.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:06 PM

Default Connors "natural" weight lol

The guys damn near dies making 145 !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Banned

Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Because he was training to fight at 155 before Dos Anjos pulled out. He also didn't weight in at 145 for this fight he weighed in within a pound of Daz. Connor is Big for a 145 lb weight class fighter and will probably have trouble making that weight for much longer, probably part of the reason for wanting to test the waters at 155lbs.

I personally think they should weigh in on fight day and prevent this weight cutting crap. It's dangerous and doesn't prove who the best fighter at a weight usually is, just who the best fighter AND weight cutter is. Obviously Connor doesn't enjoy the power at advantage at 170 lbs that he does at 145 lbs.
He is presently a feather weight fighter which is 145 he fought Nate at 168 which is 170 class which is jumping up two weight classes from what he fights no mater what.

Mack
Old 03-09-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
He is presently a feather weight fighter which is 145 he fought Nate at 168 which is 170 class which is jumping up two weight classes from what he fights no mater what.

Mack
Nate fights at 155 and Connor was training for a fight at 155, but they agreed to 170 so that neither of them had to cut weight. So Connor really only jumped up one division, and that may soon be permanent for him anyway, as he struggles to make 145. This was not really a welterweight fight, which makes it pretty silly that they're now talking about Diaz getting a shot at Robbie Lawler.

Anyways, as always, check out Jack Slack's article on Fightland for a highly technical striking analysis. Note this paragraph in particular:
Quote:
Combine that with the act of getting clipped with shots constantly while mid-swing. There are fans out there claiming that McGregor gassed as if the fact that he wasn't cutting weight meant he took a whole camp off of running. But those who have seen Nate Diaz and his brother Nick fight before know that this is what the Diaz's do and understand how quickly it exhausts a man to be slapped and punched off of rhythm while he is winging his own shots.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
Nate fights at 155 and Connor was training for a fight at 155, but they agreed to 170 so that neither of them had to cut weight. So Connor really only jumped up one division, and that may soon be permanent for him anyway, as he struggles to make 145. This was not really a welterweight fight, which makes it pretty silly that they're now talking about Diaz getting a shot at Robbie Lawler.

Anyways, as always, check out Jack Slack's article on Fightland for a highly technical striking analysis. Note this paragraph in particular:
It was a welterweight fight not a catchweight.

Mack
Old 03-09-2016, 09:56 AM

But Nate isn't a real welterweight either. I don't know how many more ways we can explain this.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Connor has already started training for his next fight, says he'll have no problem making weight.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:27 PM

The thing that really made me laugh out loud was watching mcgregor tap out right away. Holm went to sleep, no way she was tapping. She's gotten a bigger pair of squirrels than CM.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Because he was training to fight at 155 before Dos Anjos pulled out. He also didn't weight in at 145 for this fight he weighed in within a pound of Diaz. Connor is Big for a 145 lb weight class fighter and will probably have trouble making that weight for much longer, probably part of the reason for wanting to test the waters at 155lbs.

^ this

It's a relic of boxing and should be done away with. A true fight night weight class system would show who is really the better fighter.

This fight pretty much proved the point.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Gettin back to his natural weight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (10.1 KB, 16 views)