Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM

Default Mice and other critters in my garden

Last year i lost almost all of my beets as well as my beans to the local varmints. I was using a live trap and catching lots. I also used a snap trap. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? I don't want poison in my yard.

This is what I'm working with.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:54 PM

a cat ?? i think there are some plant/herb that repel them .
Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 AM

I'll be using a galvanized wire mesh to keep out birds & squirrels in a 24' x 12' raised bed I'm building, but I don't think I'll use one with a mesh small enough to keep out mice. I'm considering some type of translucent roof over it for hail protection, but with mesh walls it would not really be a greenhouse.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:14 AM

What kind of varmints were you catching? Different critters could entail different approaches.

If you are talking about varmints taking your seeds it could be birds too. Try putting a netting over the bed when it is first seeded. Maybe try adding planks or panels for height, on the top of the bed sides, removable when the plants get bigger.

Or you could move the hotbed away from the fence and dig a moat around it.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'll be using a galvanized wire mesh to keep out birds & squirrels in a 24' x 12' raised bed I'm building, but I don't think I'll use one with a mesh small enough to keep out mice. I'm considering some type of translucent roof over it for hail protection, but with mesh walls it would not really be a greenhouse.
A see thru roof can cook a garden too. Try a netting with mesh that would catch bigger hailstones. Netting breathes and lets the sun and rain get through too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-10-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
Last year i lost almost all of my beets as well as my beans to the local varmints. I was using a live trap and catching lots. I also used a snap trap. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? I don't want poison in my yard.

This is what I'm working with.
I'm in the same boat, last 2 years the mice have been chowing my beans, zucchini Etc.. Last fall I was a day or 2 away from harvesting a great bunch of cucumbers & then only too have 90% of the bottoms chewed off the night before.
I've put a ton of traps out but doesn't seem to really slow them down?
Cat time I guess.
Also what a ton of wasps, I put these little traps with holes in the lids with a mix of sugar, water & can't remember the last part & every one was absolutely heaving with them.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 AM

It's probably not a good idea to use pressure treated wood where you grow vegatables.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Nice set-up.

Last year we lost as many vegetables to thieves as we did to varmints (community garden).

I've been using this in my raised garden at home. So far it appears to be working.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL View Post
It's probably not a good idea to use pressure treated wood where you grow vegatables.
I had the same concern for my raised bed, but I came up with a novel solution that would still let me use treated lumber for longevity. I bought a narrow roll of 24" wide Delta MS plastic foundation wrap and am lining the entire garden with it, this will keep the soil out of contact with the entirety of the wall structures benefitting both the wall and the soil. I built them 20" high and had a pile of surplus t&g pine and t&g cedar that I'd scavenged and attached all of that to some treated 2x6's + 2x4's assemblies at the top and bottom plates.

I've seen veggie gardens built with old railroad ties and can't imagine that's a good idea.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM

My guess it is the voles that are eating your veggies. They look like mice but have a shorter tail. Get a half dozen victor/regular mouse traps at around 1$ each,then bait them with a piece of apple, should have a few of the suckers in 1-2 days.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:34 AM

^^^^^^^^^

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 03-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My guess it is the voles that are eating your veggies. They look like mice but have a shorter tail. Get a half dozen victor/regular mouse traps at around 1$ each,then bait them with a piece of apple, should have a few of the suckers in 1-2 days.
X2 You should be able to find the hole they go into set the trap and you should be able to get control of them now before they start with the baby routine. Had way too many to count on my place and just stayed with the traps around the holes and you will also find tunnels under the grass they make, set the traps there too.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
X2 You should be able to find the hole they go into set the trap and you should be able to get control of them now before they start with the baby routine. Had way too many to count on my place and just stayed with the traps around the holes and you will also find tunnels under the grass they make, set the traps there too.
Had 1" holes going straight down around the raised beds that were connected, filled with water , took a ton of water to fill up & never flushed anything out. What's that green stick thing ? Some kind of sticky trap.
Voles like apples? I'll try that, been using peanut butter for the mice. A few caught had short tail, long nose . Voles ?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Nice set-up.

Last year we lost as many vegetables to thieves as we did to varmints (community garden).

I've been using this in my raised garden at home. So far it appears to be working.

^^^^ This is what I use... Seems to work.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
X2 UFA sells a version of them.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:56 AM

What is the neighbores yard like ? Mice coming from there ? Set some traps along the fence. Mine has a hot tub close to our gaeden and thats where they were coming from when I had a few visits.

I got a small dog now and he has the best of the best eyes, nose and ears. He has been guarding our yard all winter. Allways on the job and not a lazy bum. Funny watching him stick his whole head under the snow for a smell and listen for the critters. His nose is allways to the ground, almost works like a mini snowplow.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
What is it ?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
What is it ?
It's a solar pest repeller - it buzzes randomly and puts critters on edge. They just don't like being around it.

Here's the product description of the one in the photo:

Quote:
This solar pest repeller can help rid your lawn or garden of moles, voles, gophers and other rodents. It has a range of over 6000 square feet. It emits an intermittent combination of sound and vibration. Long-life NiCd solar charged rechargeable batteries are included.
  • Made of durable ABS plastic & corrosion proof aluminum for added durability
  • Solar powered pest repeller works day and night for superior protection
  • Easy installation: No main wiring or powering required
  • Weatherproofed
  • 6000 square foot range
  • Frequency: 400Hz to 1000Hz
  • Pet and child friendly
  • Includes long life NiCd solar charged rechargeable batteries
Old 03-11-2016, 07:59 AM

If your veggies are being nibbled off right at the base - it may be cutworms, and not rodents at all.