Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2016, 09:06 PM

Default Curious about wild pigs

Anyone got some info/stories about wild pigs, where to find them, what their tracks look like, how to hunt them. I live in Peace Country but interested in all info Txs all.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 PM

They're probably the most elusive of all our huntable animals here in Alberta, there aren't too many around and the people that know where they are like to hold on to their spots I think. That being said, the wild boars that would be running around here are European Wild Boars, their trotters are sharper and more curved than the feral hogs down in the states. Here's a picture:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--1tPfp-Xgt...0/IMG_1754.JPG

I've never been lucky enough to see any sign of them, but if I really wanted to do a hunt I would probably try Texas or someplace like that
Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
there aren't too many around and the people that know where they are like to hold on to their spots I think.

Very true let them keep their spots I think give it time the population should explode
Old 03-09-2016, 04:49 AM

If your in the peace country, there was and probably still is a population of them just south of the Deadwood corner. Seen them a few times in the mid 2000's.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 AM

If you do a search on this site you'll find 50 or more threads regarding wild pigs, including one in the hunting discussion that's only a day old.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-09-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If you do a search on this site you'll find 50 or more threads regarding wild pigs, including one in the hunting discussion that's only a day old.
Yes i just found the search function and read them, sorry about starting a new thread on an old topic that has been gone over lots. Not asking anyone to give up their hunting spots on here, i know by experiance that it takes alot of time , effort and experiance to find productive areas. And once you give them up and word gets out then it becomes a free for all and these little pockets get hunted out by people who dont respect nature. I make my living of the land farming and ranching so i understand how to live with nature and love it, and am finding lots of like minded people on this site.
But getting back to wild pigs, wild boars, feral pigs whatever we have in alberta just looking for some made in alberta knowledge about them.
Is their a resident breeding population?
Are all that are wild just escapees from farms?
This winter was very warm, but when we get normal cold and snow conditions i cant understand how they would survive our winters.
What kind of habitat do they thrive in?
Are their tracks easily identifiable, or easy to confuse with deer etc.?
Any other info would be welcome, just interested in learning about them.
Again not looking for your hunting spots just curious about them and not out to hunt them to extinction unless they put a bounty on em... Txs All...
Old 03-09-2016, 01:50 PM

U wont get any real info on wild hogs on this forum only chance u have of seeing one or getting info is get out and talk to farmers other then that gl easier to find Booner whitey then a hog in this province.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM

i've been on the forum for over 3 years. i'd say every 3 months or so someone starts new discussion about wild pigs. It always goes same way. OP states he's new to the province, would like to kill some wildlings because he so liked them home. People say there aren't any around, then someone mentions Meyerthorpe. Then someone gives the link or information to guy who lets you hunt them in his enclosed area for $650/head. Then everything goes away.

I am guessing you already read most if not all topics regarding your questions.
If not, some of them can be answered by googling them. The picture of their tracks is in the second answer to your question. Also, I wouldn't worry about hunting them to extinction. They are considered pests cost to cost in any direction - south to north and west to east. And there is a bounty on them (still afaik).

Check out the following:
http://wildboarcanada.ca/index.php#sthash.WPYBTRs9.dpbs
Especially "Legal Info" section.
There is also a facebook group about the wild pigs, more from the research point of view, but nonetheless some info can be picked up.

Bottom line, you have better chance finding the unicorn or pro-oil liberal than wild boar in alberta
Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM

Used to be some feral hogs running wild out in the Rosebud area. We killed a few of them but that was back in the mid 80's.

Have not heard of any in the so. for years now. Most I know of are in someone's fenced off quarter section and as pointed out cost around 600 bucks to hunt.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:17 PM

About 3 years ago, I was moose hunting up towards Keg River. A couple guys came into our camp and showed us a wild boar. They said it was hit by a vehicle along the highway and left there. It was still alive when they saw it. So they dispatched it and threw it in the back of their truck. How and why the wild boar was in that area, who knows?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Very true let them keep their spots I think give it time the population should explode
Don't bet the farm on it.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM

On the east side of the peace River east of manning. There was a guy that used to turn them loose across the river back in the early 90's they would haul then across in the winter. I haven't lived up there for quite some time but I'm sure they are still there.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordegg2 View Post
On the east side of the peace River east of manning. There was a guy that used to turn them loose across the river back in the early 90's they would haul then across in the winter. I haven't lived up there for quite some time but I'm sure they are still there.
t
That was one place the fc told me about. Just interested in their habits thats all. Just want to know when i see some sign thats all
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 PM

Don't mind the grumps that feel the need to chime in, if they were really so annoyed they would have just scrolled past the thread- best of luck to you in hunting them and if you bag one, be sure to let us know!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

I have a friend that hunted a bunch in the central region of bc last year. I'm jelous
Old 03-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Banned

It's not to hard to find wild pigs in alberta, I've woken up with a few in my time, it's amazing what you can be talked into when your in the bag lol
Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 AM

I've heard that there are alot of them out there, have only ever seen one out near crownest pass.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Alberta Ag has been trying to exterminate them for years, considered a pest so every farmer shoots them on sight. Some were raised around Keg river a few years back but most were shot. A few escape from wild pig farm by Mayerthorpe but locals shot them on sight.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Don't bet the farm on it.
i would bet on it

Tags
peace country, wild pigs