Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 PM

Default Average Trapline Size?

I wanted to know what the average size of Trapper's lines are? Also, how much of that line do you trap? I am looking at different sized traplines and I'm unsure if the size and prices are worth it? Thanks for the advice
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 AM

That is very hard to answer. Some traplines are a couple of miles squared to townships. If you get your hands on a trapline map it will kind of show you. Prices are to purchase the trapping gear and cabins not to purchase the line. The line is property of the AB government. It is also what the market will bare.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM

There really no ave size, up north the lines can be up to 20+ townships and down south they can be 1 township or even less. If you look at the map you see the further south you go, the smaller the lines. Prob more demand for the southern lines as very tough access to these lines up north.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Default trapline

A good rule of thumb for trapline value in todays market is a unlogged township probably worth $10K, 50% logged down to $5K per township. The more logging on line then more townships required to be a decent productive line. However you only lease the line from province and buy equipment, cabins etc directly from the previous trapper.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 AM

I think your prices are off a bit unless it is super far north. Most lines I am seeing are a being bought for 40-50K and usually only one or 2 townships.
I know a guy who bought one last year for 30K for a township with nothing with it just a township and a few traps.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:51 PM

I would say one of the biggest influence on price besides size would be proximity to larger cities. The closer to Edmonton, Calgary or Grande Prairie, the more you will pay.
My line is just over 3 townships. At 10K per township plus 20K for the cabin that would be pretty close to what I paid. But I have been offered more for it since I bought it 4 years ago, and if one day I get offered what I want I'll be looking for another one
Old 09-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Thanks for your help and your input....Murray