Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Default Hoping to find some cool stuff

So here’s the deal .. my grandfather owns a couple hundred acres on the north sask..I was out there today doing some haying and he told me there used to be a coal mine there .. he’s not real sure how big the shaft was but he had found old box carts and track so it must have been fairly large I would think ... anyways I was telling a friend this and he said I should get a metal detector and look around .. and since I’m a coal miner I’m sure a guy could find some pretty cool artifacts ... buuuttt I know absolutely zero when it comes to metal detectors ..I don’t want to spend a ton of money on one but if somebody could point me in a good direction I would greatly appreciate it ... or if anybody has one for sale I would be interested ... thanks everyone
Old 07-17-2018, 08:25 PM

Not sure if this helps but boss of the swamp on youtube has a video of one not to buy.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 PM

Well that’s a start anyways .. thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 PM

I come across lots of artifacts when wondering the vast prairie of our province. Old cars, wagons, farm implements, hardware, household items, you name it. A lot of stuff abandoned when times got tough in the early 1900s.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 PM

I'd likely go with a Garrett model metal detector if I wanted anything good.

http://www.mrmetaldetector.com/
Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 PM

Here is an interesting interactive map of all the coal mines past and present. Zoom in on the map to your location. Once you find your mine number on the map click on the "Locate coal mine" button and enter the mine number. It will tell you who when and where and might even give a drawing of how big the cavern is where they mined.

http://mapviewer.aer.ca/Html5/Index....er=aercoalmine

As far as a metal detector get a good quality one and you will enjoy it a lot more. For 700 you can buy a Garret ATpro. Great detector and submersible to a few feet. Hobby Wholesale on Calgary trail northbound in Edmonton has them. With a good detector you can actually get paid by people to find lost things.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-17-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here is an interesting interactive map of all the coal mines past and present. Zoom in on the map to your location. Once you find your mine number on the map click on the "Locate coal mine" button and enter the mine number. It will tell you who when and where and might even give a drawing of how big the cavern is where they mined.

http://mapviewer.aer.ca/Html5/Index....er=aercoalmine

As far as a metal detector get a good quality one and you will enjoy it a lot more. For 700 you can buy a Garret ATpro. Great detector and submersible to a few feet. Hobby Wholesale on Calgary trail northbound in Edmonton has them. With a good detector you can actually get paid by people to find lost things.
What he said.... Get an AT PRO and it will serve you well. Nice thing about that machine is it has "iron audio" so you'll know if it's an iron object as opposed to lead, copper, silver, gold. Iron gets in the way of finding precious metals although in your case you'll be mostly finding all iron objects.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Thanks everyone ... some really good info that I would have never found without you ... I’m going shopping ..
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM

And I did find the mine ... pretty interesting ... thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Looking forward to a thread of your finds! Good luck.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:15 AM

Garrett metal detector is all good ya

https://metalhunting.org/
Old 09-29-2020, 02:07 AM

GPS Central has a good selection. Minelab and Garrett detectors.

B.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
And I did find the mine ... pretty interesting ... thanks
Give us some details. How big is it? How old? Etc.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:03 AM

I’ve been metal detecting for years, go buy yourself a used “AT pro” and you’ll be away.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:08 PM

I’m honestly curious - what are you planning on finding there? It’s not a diamond or gold mine, it’s a coal mine! What are you looking for? An old equipment? I doubt you will need a metal detector for that...
Old 09-29-2020, 02:45 PM

Treasure hunting is cool! However I can’t see any reason to go top quality detector at top dollar. This was coal mining.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:50 PM

Here’s what you’ll find... old buttons, lots,of,cans and bottles, no money, little bits of broken stuff and some, implement pieces.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Here’s what you’ll find... old buttons, lots,of,cans and bottles, no money, little bits of broken stuff and some, implement pieces.
Don't forget the rusty nut's & bolts, pieces of wire, bottle cap's, nails, Matchbook car's & truck's, coins, jewelry. This is what I've found so far, down to 8-10 inches or so. I have a Garrett Ace 250, very simple to use. But I would recommend the AT Pro, a big step up from my 250.
My wife has an old Bounty Hunter Pioneer that I bought used for her and she finds more coins than I do.
Just a hobby for us, as it gets us out of the house, lot's of beaches just outside the city, parks in the city. Big Plus is it's a natural social distancing. Don't forget to get head phones. Make sure it's waterproof.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Don't forget the rusty nut's & bolts, pieces of wire, bottle cap's, nails, Matchbook car's & truck's, coins, jewelry. This is what I've found so far, down to 8-10 inches or so. I have a Garrett Ace 250, very simple to use. But I would recommend the AT Pro, a big step up from my 250.
My wife has an old Bounty Hunter Pioneer that I bought used for her and she finds more coins than I do.
Just a hobby for us, as it gets us out of the house, lot's of beaches just outside the city, parks in the city. Big Plus is it's a natural social distancing. Don't forget to get head phones. Make sure it's waterproof.
Don’t forget it’s a mine, so coins, jewelry, toys...all pretty much out.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:36 AM

On the different note...
Taking the course this morning, and half way in i realized it would be applicable to your situation. Which course I'm taking?
Confined space. And i renewed my H2S yesterday.

Mine is and has been abandoned for a while, I'm guessing? I don't know much about mining 😁 but i do know mines usually have downward slope. Possible some water entered the shaft over the years. Possibly...

Bottom line - be mindful of possible dangers of confined spaces, don't go there by yourself, and it would be great idea to have hazardous atmosphere monitor on you, and, in perfect world - at least 5-10 min air tank.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Don’t forget it’s a mine, so coins, jewelry, toys...all pretty much out.
Once he finds out how interesting the hobby is I'm sure him or his family will find other uses for it and if not, then he can alway's resell it as they do hold their value. Plus my reply was also for other's that might be thinking of getting one.