Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 PM

Default Is there any way to patch vinyl siding?

Got hit last Friday night with golf ball sized hail. Some holes in the siding on two side of the house. Problem is we can't get that color any more. Only a close match.

Haven't seen an adjuster yet, but lady at insurance office ran an estimate on insurance increase. Based on a previous claim 2 years ago it would add 1800 a year to insurance.

One idea is to re-arrange siding pieces and possibly put newer, slightly lighter siding along the bottom two or three courses.

Another problem is outside corner pieces ( a couple of them are damaged), we're probably not going be able to match the color.

Other than re wrapping the house and taking the insurance hit, anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Vinyl is popular cause it's cheap, it's only virtue. Replacement is the only option. Even if you find the same color, it won't match because of sun bleaching.

Grizz
Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 PM

Had the same thing happen to us years ago and we just swapped the broken pieces for one's around the back of the house and then replaced those with close color match we could find. Since the ones we took off the back were from behind a tree it was easy.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 PM

The neighbours kid bounced some pucks off our house and broke some of the siding. Ispnsura ce company offered someone to plastic weld it, it's just a couple small spots. So it can be fixed, Google is your friend
Old 07-17-2018, 08:03 PM

I had some hail damage to my vinyl siding in summer of 2014. Luckily, the builder left some spares in my garage trusses. I installed the spares on my garage where they would not be noticeable, and, used the weathered pieces donated from my garage on the damaged portions of my house. This swap was very close to the naked eye.

I also took the opportunity to purchase more spares as I was able to match to current product runs as brand and color were printed on back-side of the vinyl pieces.

-Willy
Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 PM

It can be painted not sure how it holds up I've never tried it myself.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 PM

We had guy from Red Deer fix our place last year after a hail storm. I think it was the Vinyl Doctor? It was a claim through Great Canadian Roofing. You can tell the spots that he repaired and that was on a corner and some flat sides. He took the pieces off and back to his shop. I was skeptical, but it very well done. he didn't have any issue travelling either.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM

100% It can be fixed and if done by someone who knows what they’re doing it can be fixed so you likely wouldn’t know it was ever damaged unless you knew where to look...

We have had siding, acrylic and fibreglass tubs/showers, vinyl windows... They can fix and colour match just about anything. But like everything the fix is only as good as the person doing it.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 AM

Or you could just stucco the house and be done with it.. That way when the next hail hits in two years you won't have to fix the siding again.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the input. Gives me some ideas to work with. Haha, I knew the stucco idea would come up. I also googled steel siding for houses, some interesting ideas there, but wife wasn't too thrilled with it.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogger View Post
Thanks for the input. Gives me some ideas to work with. Haha, I knew the stucco idea would come up. I also googled steel siding for houses, some interesting ideas there, but wife wasn't too thrilled with it.
I was thinking about this for my place one day... The install guide is written in plain language and they rent the one specialized tool you would need. Maybe worth a look? It's made in Edmonton so that's a plus.

http://luxpanel.ca/
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Got hit last Friday night with golf ball sized hail. Some holes in the siding on two side of the house. Problem is we can't get that color any more. Only a close match.

Haven't seen an adjuster yet, but lady at insurance office ran an estimate on insurance increase. Based on a previous claim 2 years ago it would add 1800 a year to insurance.

One idea is to re-arrange siding pieces and possibly put newer, slightly lighter siding along the bottom two or three courses.

Another problem is outside corner pieces ( a couple of them are damaged), we're probably not going be able to match the color.

Other than re wrapping the house and taking the insurance hit, anyone have any ideas?
You could at the front take of half the siding and replace with a vertical siding of another color and use the pieces to fix the other breaks or holes,corners would be tricky.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:37 AM

If you are going to go through the hassle of residing, why not reside with hardyboard or something similar. The insurance companies give discounts for hail resistant siding. The reality of living in hail prone regions means that it could happen again and I would imagine that the cost of fixing it once with a better siding product would be less than paying increased insurance premiums everytime.

If insurance companies were smart they would encourage people the option to pay to upgrade their siding after a claim and offer reduced premiums as an incentive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 01:58 PM

Default Or

Duct Tape now comes in many different colors (?).
Old 07-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Just fix the broken parts and paint the house. Just be carful that the colour isn't darker than what you have now. the siding will warp and pucker with the extra heat it absorbs. my in-laws painted their summer place in Florida quite a few years ago and they haven't had any complaints. My neighbour down the street painted his 2 summers ago and still looks great.

One house further down the street painted a really dark colour over a lighter blue and they had lots of puckers all the way across.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
Duct Tape now comes in many different colors (?).
Once glued patches, cut from some removed siding, over holes, with ABS glue. Not obvious if you didn't look too hard. Trick is not to have exposed glue.

Griss
Old 08-01-2018, 08:21 AM

I just went to Home Depot/ Silicon section & eyed up the closest color to match the hole after my
lawn mower sent rocks flying, this patch repair was over 6yrs ago now (three- 1/2" holes in pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180801_075925.jpg (37.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by tri777; 08-01-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Go under the deck

If you have a deck pull all the siding off the house from underneath it and use that to patch in the bad spots because it will match the rest of the house perfectly....buy the new siding that is the closest color match and fill in the spot under the deck so its a solid wall of the new stuff and no one will ever know about it except you and your wife....

Since 2014 I've had to replace siding on my house THREE times...2 times from hail and last summer from extreme BBQ'ing....lol
Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 PM

On my moms house I just put in the same color siding. At first it looked different but after a few years in the sun it has blended right in. You can hardly tell now that it was once different.
But the problem I am having with the vinyl siding is at the corners the installer left some gaps where bumble bees made there way in. I might have to rip it all off after some cold weather to get them all out of there.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:

You may wish to check however a buddy who once worked in insurance said as soon as you call the insurance company to report a claimable issue they log it and it functions the same whether they pay you are not. Goes to probabilities I believe. Also if others in the neighbourhood claim you go up also as the area assessed risk.

I know it works for cars if you say you had an accident but did not claim...but I am unsure about home insurance and hail. You could ask a broker a hypothetical question.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin