Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Cheap Wood Montana

Heading down to Montana for a couple weeks to do some camping and fly fishing.

Was wondering if anybody has any ideas on where to get a bunch of firewood for cheap, as I can’t bring mine from Canada? Don’t want to buy those $10 bags from the campground.

Going to be in the Yaak river area and east of Missoula over the 2 weeks. Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 AM

firewood Montana

DuckDuckGo is your friend. It lists a ton of options.

Transporting Firewood, from even one part o the province or state to another is a really bad idea. I either chop dead local depending on permits or buy from immediate area. I search to find them when I get there.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 AM

What route are you taking down and when are you heading down?
We have some raw land south of Eureka, and there’s so much deadfall, I’m having trouble getting rid of it all. We go down 1-2 weekends out of the month, and when get there, We start a fire in a big pit, and keep it burning all weekend just to try to get rid of all the dead wood. We’ve even considered hauling a bunch of it down to the Dickey Lake campground and giving it away to people camping down there. Would be great if we could bring it home by the truckload to sell - but the border people wouldn’t like that.
Anyway, If you’re going down that way at a time when we’re there, you can stop in and take as much as you can carry!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 AM

If you source some dimensional lumber for cheap or free that ought to be able to cross the border, dimensional lumber has been kiln-dried and has no bark so that eliminates the insect concerns that border agents would have, at least so far as I can guess.....

I recently passed on a great deal on some short 2"x6"'s, they had numerous fully stacked pallets that were only $10 at the Rona on Macleod Trail @ Southland. They were stacked to the full width and length of the standard pallets they were on and were easily 40" high. It was easily in excess of a cubic yard of firewood/ random project lumber (raised garden beds?) for only $10, more to that is that they were even all quite straight. As the store is undergoing its transition into a Lowes they are replacing all of the racking, these 2"x 6"'s used to bridge the racks front to back and were around 36" to 40" long as I recall. I imagine more of those pallets will be appearing as they take down more of the old Rona fixtures.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, think we got it figured out.

Unfortunately we're going down through Idaho Sage, but thanks for the gracious offer. The generosity of people on this forum never ceases to amaze me
Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 AM

Just like Caber said, get some lumber cutoffs.
I crossed the border with pieces of 2x4's and the border guard was really excited that he didn't have to help me unload it.
Usually I'd raid the garbage pile of a house under construction that I'd be working at. Lots of short pieces that pack well, and you don't have to split.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Right across the boarder in Eureka, in the Stein's grocery store parking lot, there are a couple old farmers that are selling full pick-up truck loads of cut fire wood for $40.