Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Walleye tags not sticking.

Filled my Walleye tags this morning and they would not stick when putting them on. They were sticky to the touch,but when placed together they just would not stick. Talked to another fishermen on shore later and he said same thing happened to him a few weeks back.
Any one else get faulty tags.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:37 PM

Yes , also with my general white tail tag last November as well , was very annoying.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

And that's why I carry a small stapler staple it together wrap a sandwich bag around it and then black tape the crap out of to the leg
Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 PM

Great tip ! Never thought of stapler !
Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 PM

Default same

Ya that's why I never put my walleye on the stringer and into the water. Always put them in bottom of boat or cooler. And yes have had same issue hunting, particularly when its cold. Once upon a time the tags where stencilled to a metal tag and run like a zip tie to the critter. Doesn't have to be metal could be plastic but hey we've progressed, things are cheap, disposal, mass produced and crap.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Banned

Using cheaper tags.............glue is basically useless. I told this to a F/W officer a few years back at Pigeon Lake. We were loading and he asked to see in the livewell. Tag was floating on the water. I told him they were junk.....I don't recall what he said but he never seemed to concerned. I see they still haven't bothered to do anything about it.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 AM

Got a warning from f&w last week for this. Told him they should fix the system and go back to the metal tags
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 AM

They are gonna leave them the same, just so they can collect a few fines here and there. We had three tags that came off over the past weekend. lost one but recovered two of them floating in the lake. Didn't bother putting them on after that. A plastic zip tie with the tag number on it would be great. Easy peasy to put on too ! It would never fall off !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:49 PM

My first year for tags, so good thing I saw this message. Lets say I keep a Wally, follow all the rules like a good guy. Then when the tag comes off and floats away, it's my fault and can get fined? And this has been going on for several years.....wow.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:48 PM

Take a cooler full of ice, bonk fish, put tag on, put fish in cooler. The fish stay cold and fresh until you get home. Just did this with 3 people and 9 tagged fish, no problems.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 PM

Had one of mine float away as well. Luckily we noticed and was able to retrieve it.

They should come up with something better.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post
Had one of mine float away as well. Luckily we noticed and was able to retrieve it.

They should come up with something better.
A plastic zip tie with the tag number on it would be great. Easy peasy to put on too ! It would never fall off !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:28 AM

It’s nothing to bring a small stapler with you in your tackle box in the mean time.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:23 PM

we had no problem, bonked em. tagged em. into bag of ice. tags were still on when son in law went to work on them about an hour later. yummy!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 05:20 PM

I agree they better come up with a better system ,because if they come apart when wet what stops someone from using it again !
This could could happen with walleye ,deer and moose tags.

For what we are paying for a moose tag ,you think they could go back to the old metal tags .
Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I agree they better come up with a better system ,because if they come apart when wet what stops someone from using it again !
This could could happen with walleye ,deer and moose tags.

For what we are paying for a moose tag ,you think they could go back to the old metal tags .
But the fishing regs don't actually say the tags are single use, its only implied. Cant say about the hunting regs because I never looked it up. I had a chat with an officer a few years ago about it and basically if there was a tag on the fish there is little they could do about it unless you were over your possession limits.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-27-2018, 11:26 AM

Filled all 6 class B tags at Pigeon on Wednesday evening. Put them all on ice. Staying perfectly fine in the cooler on top of ice. Tags were fine.

Great fish fry tonight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (58.9 KB, 282 views)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 PM

I had the same problem, one of mine even floated away but we noticed before it got too far! The stapler idea should work well. I definitely do not recommend keeping them on a stringer though, either a livewell or bucket or something
Old 08-05-2018, 04:14 PM

i got checked at gull at the launch by the conversation officers. we showed him how my tags were barely still attached in the livewell. his solution was to poke a hole in it with a pen and then attempt to write on a soaking wet tag.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Default Walleye tags not sticking.

Usually 2 or 3 of us get together one day every year to go out and fill tags. Makes me laugh every time I open the well and see a bunch of “tagged” walleye inside. At least half the tags are floating, most still have a wire hanging from their mouth, some don’t even have that anymore, and to make things even more confusing for a potential FnW check is when you have three different class sizes in the mix.

I don’t really sweat it. A reasonable person would be able to see that there are a bunch of destroyed tags floating in the livewell and will check the sizes and you’ll be on your way. And if all else fails, a reasonable Judge will take your side.

The system isn’t perfect and FnW knows the problems.

I’ve always thought a thick plastic band, with an embossed tag number, that could be clipped together through the tail with a pair of pliers would be fool proof. Or the kind of wrist band you get at an all inclusive resort that is impossible to get off. But who am I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Horrible system to begin with and to have tags that dont stick just seems to sum the whole fiasco up to a tee.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:55 PM

No problem as in the pic above putting then in a cooler on ice. Pretty simple really. Why throw them in water or get them wet? Besides, the ice keeps them nice and cool along with keeping the tags perfect.

Yeah...that was tough.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 AM

They could at the very least have notched dates on the tags that way once notched pretty hard to re use
Old 08-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Trust me, I would rather not have to tag a walleye at all but I do so because I like to have a nice walleye fry. I would recommend to get your cooler, ice and fill out your tags before even getting to the lake. That way the only time spent at the lake is focused on getting a walleye in the slot, killing it, putting the tag in and putting on ice.

Easy peasy...well, easier than trying to do it all at on the lake.

Just my .2 cents.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:13 PM

Off topic slightly but still a relevant friendly comment about Snapfishers pic.

Have you tried bleeding your walleyes? I’ve recently become a firm believer in bleeding them. Part of the reason was learning where precisely to cut them which made it simple to ensure they bled out. Your pic is a perfect one to point it out.

See that rice shaped piece of bone just below where the gills come together of the one that is upside down? A slice just behind that missing the bone severs the arteries off the top of the heart. On a perfect slice you see the heart and arteries and there will be zero bone to cut. I do it immediately after unhooking the fish while holding it over the side of the boat and give it a minute to bleed out. Then onto ice. The difference in the colour of the meat is surprising. It’s a much cleaner job filleting them as well.

I was happy to learn it and thought someone else might appreciate it also.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Off topic slightly but still a relevant friendly comment about Snapfishers pic.

Have you tried bleeding your walleyes? I’ve recently become a firm believer in bleeding them. Part of the reason was learning where precisely to cut them which made it simple to ensure they bled out. Your pic is a perfect one to point it out.

See that rice shaped piece of bone just below where the gills come together of the one that is upside down? A slice just behind that missing the bone severs the arteries off the top of the heart. On a perfect slice you see the heart and arteries and there will be zero bone to cut. I do it immediately after unhooking the fish while holding it over the side of the boat and give it a minute to bleed out. Then onto ice. The difference in the colour of the meat is surprising. It’s a much cleaner job filleting them as well.

I was happy to learn it and thought someone else might appreciate it also.
For what it's worth I bonk my fish on the head or Ikejime them. They will still bleed out fine as the heart in a cold blooded animal will keep pumping long after brain death. I just think it might be more humane.