Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 PM

Default True Winter Truck Tires

Anyone have any suggestions on a True winter truck tire? I was looking at Hercules Avalanche Xtreme but haven’t heard of them.anybody else? And I don’t care for All seasons at the moment so no need to bring them up. Thanks
Old 11-02-2017, 11:34 PM

nokian hakkapeliitta Pricey$$$ but its worth it
Old 11-03-2017, 12:30 AM

just get something studdable and be sure to actually stud them ....... something like the 10 ply hankook ipike if you're on the roadways, or some wrangler duratracs if you insist on playing in the (frozen) mud
Old 11-03-2017, 12:34 AM

I've had Nokian Hakk's and loved them. One tire that catches my eye (though admittedly I've not driven) is the General Grabber Artic LT, I might well give those a whirl for my next set. I'm always running load range 'E' rubber. General Tire is owned by Continental Tire.

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/p...rverName=ATLAS

I was going to post 'in before someone mentions duratracs' , but it didn't happen...
Old 11-03-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I've had Nokian Hakk's and loved them. One tire that catches my eye (though admittedly I've not driven) is the General Grabber Artic LT, I might well give those a whirl for my next set. I'm always running load range 'E' rubber. General Tire is owned by Continental Tire.

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/p...rverName=ATLAS

I was going to post 'in before someone mentions duratracs' , but it didn't happen...

agreed on the high proliferation of duratracs. i honestly don't have strong feelings for them one way or the other. i do think that they perform well on lighter trucks; however, i find that they don't hold up quite as well on full sized units. i got quite good life out of a set of 10 plys on my old Mazda B4000.

i brought them up straight away since they came to mind as a somewhat aggressive tread pattern which accepts studs.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:11 AM

On my last 2500HD I was about 100K avg on Duratracs. I had about 40k on my third set prior to my new truck. I have a set on my new truck with just over 4200km and have a set studded to have for a winter tire on my factory wheels. The performance I had previously with out being studded was great in winter should now be even better studded
Price was good too
Old 11-03-2017, 01:11 AM

I know the Duratracs meet the snow on the mountain requirement, my only beef with them is they're not a winter rubber compound, they're more of an all-season compound so they are not a true dedicated winter tire as the OP requested. I didn't even mention the all-weather tires I've currently got on my work vehicle as they are not dedicated winters, even though they do bridge the gap between all-season tires and winter tires.

Tread life should be given a zero factor when choosing tires, I don't care to get extra mileage from a set if I don't survive long enough to realize the savings from the tires whose lack of traction killed me.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I know the Duratracs meet the snow on the mountain requirement, my only beef with them is they're not a winter rubber compound, they're more of an all-season compound so they are not a true dedicated winter tire as the OP requested. I didn't even mention the all-weather tires I've currently got on my work vehicle as they are not dedicated winters, even though they do bridge the gap between all-season tires and winter tires.

Tread life should be given a zero factor when choosing tires, I don't care to get extra mileage from a set if I don't survive long enough to realize the savings from the tires whose lack of traction killed me.
Stud the duratracks and your good to go.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 AM

I have a set of studded avalanches on a jeep.Fantastic tires in ice and snow conditions
Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Stud the duratracks and your good to go.
No don't. you'll regret it..

Get proper winter tires..

There was just a thread about this Last week..

hakkas (if money is no object, and you want the best).
Winterforce Studded (which Is what I would go with, seem to clear snow better than hakkas).
General Artics are getting great reviews in the states.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Banned

Toyo open country.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
No don't. you'll regret it..

Get proper winter tires..

There was just a thread about this Last week..

hakkas (if money is no object, and you want the best).
Winterforce Studded (which Is what I would go with, seem to clear snow better than hakkas).
General Artics are getting great reviews in the states.
This!!!
I had the studded Hak's on my previous F-350 and went with the studded duratracs on my current one. The hak's were definitely a true winter tire and had better traction on city roads.
The duratracs are ok but when the temperatures get colder than -15 is where you really feel the difference.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Pretty hard to beat hakkepelitta's, my second choice is the hankook ipikes.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:49 AM

I've heard nothing but good things about them and watched a video a year ago where the guy was talking about them being made by Cooper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on a True winter truck tire? I was looking at Hercules Avalanche Xtreme but haven’t heard of them.anybody else? And I don’t care for All seasons at the moment so no need to bring them up. Thanks
Old 11-03-2017, 08:50 AM

http://www.hankooktire.com/ca-en/pas...pike-rw11.html
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 AM

Just got a set of the Winterforce for the F-150 no complaints as of yet.

LC
Old 11-03-2017, 08:57 AM

Default Tires

I run Firestone Wintertorce, on mine, and they work great. No studs.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 AM

I run toyo winters on steel rims for winters , I’ll never not run a true winter tire again. This setup has paid for itself over n over again, ran them with my last truck, this will be the 2nd winter on the new truck, they still look new and got lots of life . They will probably out last this truck(till I trade it in)
Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM

had a set of avalanche xtrem on a f350 that were studded. im convinced the only thing that made them worth spit is the studding as a true winter tire i still found them 2 hard. if your trying to save a buck like me, look at the suilun brand tire will the the second season on mine pulling 28' sled trailer to the mountains, approx 7 to 10000 km a season, they have worked flawlessly. duratrac are nice but supper noisy, wear bad and are not a true winter tires even with the sipping they have. IMO
Old 11-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Cooper discovery m&s they are a dedicated winter tire that can be studded, i have a set and they are awsome.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Toyo open country.

Toyo makes nice winter tires, the Open Country WLT1 look alright but their standard A/T Open Country's are not true winter tires. I had some Toyo Garit HT's that were fantastic, though those were on a passenger car. I've bought some used Garits but have to get some wheels for them yet, it's not a huge issue as I have to rebuild that cars cylinder head first before it will run again anyways!

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-03-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:18 AM

I have the i*Pikes (unstudded) on my midsize truck. Have ran them for the past 5 winters and they are still in great shape (gotta be getting close to 40k em). For general city driving and highway, I have zero complaints. Perhaps if I was off the beaten path a little more I might have opted for something more aggressive, but that would have likely added at least a few hundred dollars to the price tag.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Thumbs up Good Quality Winter Tires

Studs are just so Yesterday (your grandfather's technology).

Get good quality proper Winter tires, with modern rubber compound, specifically made for winter.
Anything else is just a cheap-out band-aid remedy.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
I had them on my Silverado and they were fine (mine were studded). Honestly, a pickup truck in 2WD, even with awesome tires, is still pretty bad to drive on icy streets. In 4WD, with those tires, it was pretty much unstoppable. I didn't usually drive around in 4WD unless it was bad, though (and occasionally when starting to move at an icy intersection). Mine wore very lightly - they lasted for years and I was nowhere near worn through them (I had something like 9/32nds left after 3 winters).
Old 11-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

Get good quality proper Winter tires, with modern rubber compound, specifically made for winter.
I've never run studs, but I'd still have to say nothing without will beat them on ice. So maybe not Grandpappy's technology. We have more ice in Alberta now then we used to with all the freeze thaw, and winter rains. I'd say there's just as good a case for them now, then the old days even though rubber compounds have changed so much.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

There's a reason Nokian (& most other tire manufacturers) still offers studded tires... You're a fool if you think otherwise.

I've owned Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokian Hakka 7's with studs, Michelin X-Ice, and another one I can't remember.

Hands down, the Nokian Hakka 7's with studs were the BEST winter tire I've ever driven on... Period.

YMMV
Old 11-03-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I've never run studs, but I'd still have to say nothing without will beat them on ice. So maybe not Grandpappy's technology. We have more ice in Alberta now then we used to with all the freeze thaw, and winter rains. I'd say there's just as good a case for them now, then the old days even though rubber compounds have changed so much.
Completely agree

It'll cost me $100ish to stud my tires. If I use it twice a season during freezing rain, it's money well spent.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:59 PM

A little off topic… but can you stud a set off gently used tires? Is it worth it.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl170 View Post
A little off topic… but can you stud a set off gently used tires? Is it worth it.
Most tire shops will only stud brand new tires, as the "pockets" the studs go into, may contain rocks once they are driven on. Alot of labor to basically clean out each pocket.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:09 PM

I've been running Toyo's on my Silverado and think they are great. The truck stops like its on bare pavement.

I can't remember the specific model but the tread looks similar to thishttp://www.toyotires.ca/tires/open-country-wlt1.