Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 12:49 PM

Default New North Truck and Equipment Whitehorse

Has anybody ever worked for these guys? What's the economy like up there? Is there enough business around for a new independent shop in Whitehorse?

I realize this is an Alberta based forum but I won't be surprised if some of our members know what's going on up there. I mentioned to my wife yesterday we should move up there and see if we like it. I sure didn't get a no so now I'm curious.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:09 PM

The more I got up there the less of appeal it has. Most people work for the govt up there. Then there are allot of migrants like Germans/Austrians and such which for the most part are anti hunting and they usually open up tours or B&B's. Nothing wrong with that. Then every year in the spring there is a flood of hippies. Basically it's BC hippie overflow. Now it is nice country but just not worth it as I was looking at going up there in the past. I figure the move would really limit my earnings and the kids would be hampered in personal endeavours later in there teens regarding school and sports. Driving around Whitehorse or around that area it really looks like a dump as everyone who lives there is caught in the competition to pile as much junk in their yards as possible. Like parts of BC. Majority of houses in the countryside around Whitehorse are unfinished and I believe tyvek is an acceptable siding for homes up there.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:18 AM

No idea on New North. I'm an automotive tech instead of heavy duty.

I've worked and lived all across the country and I choose to be up here. It is a great place to be and raise a family.

The economy is steady. Transfers from the Feds keep the lights on and keep the place recession proof - a total false economy. When commodity prices rise then we see an influx in mining exploration - it's a bit of the icing on the cake. There are a couple mines due to open in the coming years and there should be some good opportunities for HD techs. I could see an independent mobile maintenance guy doing quite well.

Steady gov jobs keep the Whitehorse housing market high. Wages are okay, but they're not quite as good as AB. Alberta does have a lower cost of living (primarily due to cheaper housing and natural gas heating). My time spent working in Peace River and living on a nearby acreage was more lucrative than my action up here.

The interests of the hippies vs natives vs locals vs tourists is quite the show. There is a lot of NIMBY to go around here, and Whitehorse is truly become a miniature version of Vancouver. The past 10 years have brought big changes, and a liberal mindset is quickly creeping in. Whitehorse is a 'young' town. I expect this mindset to change in ~20 years as the demographic ages.

I was lucky enough to grab a water-access cabin out of town - it is the only thing that allows me to live in town during the week and not go completely crazy. The gov'y campgrounds within a 2 hour drive of Whitehorse fill completely every summer weekend. For a big place with a sparse population the southern end of the Territory can sure feel busy at times.

Overall the Yukon is turning into the south at a rapid pace. Common sense is in short supply. Conversely, I've always had good luck up here. The Yukon is the sort of place where good, hard work is rewarded. Work with your nose to the ground and good fortune is usually pretty close behind.

Also, it doesn't hurt that the fishing and scenery is world class.

My cousin and I grabbed some autumn lakers at the camp a week or two ago ...

Wifey and I enjoying the view from the camp ...

Last edited by Peace Meal Farm; 11-03-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the input mgvande and Peace Meal Farm.

That looks like a great cabin location!

I'll admit I was surprised to hear how busy it is in summer. Whitehorse would be a bit bigger than the city I currently live in so it doesn't seem all that appealing to fight for a camping spot. I'd think there would be some places for random camping? Part of the appeal for me would be endless crown land. I'm quite sick of looking at fences and fields with a house every mile or two.

I've lived in the same town for 16 years and feel like I've explored most of the local area as well as Northern Sask.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 PM

There is a ton of crown land, and also a bunch of native land. Hunting the native land is not out of the question - just need permission.

The problem is access. Anywhere there is a road there tends to be at least a few folks in the summer season. On the shoulders or in the winter you often wont hear a soul for days.

Your best bet for random camping is a tent, a canoe and your river of choice : ) That, or hit one of the gov'y campgrounds on a lake with a launch and boat over to the other side. Just need to be a little creative.