Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2017, 11:15 AM

Default kindle

Does anyone use a kindle for reading a book. Buddy lent me his to read a book he likes and I thought the kindle was o.k. I wonder if some are better than others or what to look out for?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:27 AM
AO Sponsor

I have used the e-books and they definitely offer some features that can be appealing. Obviously being able to compress a huge library into a one small unit is a plus for many, and you can increase or decrease font sizes which is great for eyes that do not work as well reading anymore, but that said, I still much prefer holding a book and reading off of paper. I like having a library in my home as a collection. I have also had to replace e-readers because of stupid things like dropping it or getting crushed in luggage while traveling once. The only place I find I actually prefer an e-reader is for traveling as I do not need to pack a bunch of books.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

Mine is 10 years old, the newer ones are smaller and lighter. Well over 500 books on it. I can read anywhere, as mine has a cover with a built in light. Easy to adjust print size, and works well in bright sunlight, unlike some tablets.

I'd buy another .

I also have a new Samsung Tablet , that I use for other purposes. Having the Kindle saves space on the Tablet.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:41 AM

Wife is a big fan of her Kobo
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM

I have the kindle Paper White (?) I think it is called, about 2 years old. Has the adjustable light setting which I like. Use mine every day, great for travel. I subscribe to Kindle unlimited, for $10 a month I can plow through as many books as I like. Absolutely recommend them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-31-2017, 12:57 PM

They are great in my opinion. Take all of your books with you wherever you want. There is some limitations, mainly for refence type books. Far better to have a physical book if you are using it to look up information and not reading it cover to cover. Personally I can't read off the backlit screens for extended periods. The static text or electronic paper screens are fine however. Reading in the dark does require a light for the screen then or a built in one (e-paper screen).

Edit: currently using a Kobo Mini (now discontinued). I do not mind the small screen size, and like the convince of the small device. Most prefer a larger screen however.

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 10-31-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I have the kindle Paper White (?) I think it is called, about 2 years old. Has the adjustable light setting which I like. Use mine every day, great for travel. I subscribe to Kindle unlimited, for $10 a month I can plow through as many books as I like. Absolutely recommend them.
I have the same one and the lighting is perfect on it... like reading a newspaper, whether it be on the deck in the sun or on the couch in the dark... very easy on the eyes
Old 10-31-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Bought the same for my GF 2 years ago and sdhe loves hers.