Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Spilled Diesel

I usually try to be on the positive side on all my posts but today I have to vent a bit and see if other forum members agree.I stopped today to fuel up with diesel and for about the 10th time in the last 3months i noticed the ground and all the area around the pump coated in fuel.Do people not know how to use the pumps or pay attention while they are filling.I understand that some fuel does not totally drain out of the hose so i always pay attention when placing the hose in my tank.There is nothing worse than climbing back into your vehicle reaking of diesel that you couldnt avoid.I have even driven to other fuel stations and waited in line because the last station was disgusting.Maybe im just a whiner but I think im not the only one that gets mad every time .
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Nah I once saw some doofus in front of me use the nozzle to select gas type and in the process spilled gas on the terminal/buttons. Friggin animals. My wife didn’t appreciate my reaction to him lol
Old 10-30-2017, 08:18 PM

I don’t know if it is operator error or the fact the equipment is defective.
Was at a 24 hour station the other night and the trigger to hold the handle open was nag.
It woulda continued to pump fuel once the 65L was reached.
‘‘Twas an unmanned station, so nobody to report it to at the time.
No spilled fuel to tip anyone off though either.
Rob
Old 10-30-2017, 08:23 PM

My buddy once said "makes me wonder if those guys even shake their ****s after they use the washroom or if they just shove it back in their pants". Thought that was funny.

But I hear you man, nearly impossible to find a diesel pump that isn't disgusting.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
I don’t know if it is operator error or the fact the equipment is defective.
Was at a 24 hour station the other night and the trigger to hold the handle open was nag.
It woulda continued to pump fuel once the 65L was reached.
‘‘Twas an unmanned station, so nobody to report it to at the time.
No spilled fuel to tip anyone off though either.
Rob
Yep. I've even been to a few diesel pumps where fuel is leaking out of the handle on the nozzle. Started wearing gloves nowadays to fill up.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Banned

#firstworldproblems
Old 10-30-2017, 09:00 PM

There is a reason that there is signs saying please don't leave pumps unattended.

At most all pumps like ufa etc, the driver starts the main pump, then walks around and gets the satellite on the other side of the truck in the tank and ready to go, waits for the main to kick off,then starts the satellite pump.

When the main doesn't kick off when full, buddy is still waiting or kicking tires while 50 or more litres are dumps on the ground...

Seen it a million times...and had it happen to me.

Keep an eye on your pump,and throw some spill cleaner upper down, makes it nicer for the next guy...spills happen sometimes, sometimes courtesy does not..

😊
Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 PM

I hear you. We fuel up at UFA all the time. I start the main pump, put in a couple of litres, stop and go to the satellite pump and when that tank is full shut off and go back to main side and fill that one. Pretty easy. No mess
Old 10-30-2017, 09:59 PM

It's mostly due to the fact that disel does not evaporate like gas does. One drop per person, with 30 to 100 people per day adds up. Just look at the number of diesel trucks (pickup and heavy duty) that have diesel fuel all arround the filler neck.

The bottom line is that it is nearly impossible to fill with out at least some spillage. If you don't like it then drive a gasser.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Banned

Buy an electric car or a pair of gloves. Diesel is oily and pumps suck. Diesel pumps are kinda like taking a leak no matter how much you shake it the last drop comes out on your pants/ ground.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandell View Post
It's mostly due to the fact that disel does not evaporate like gas does. One drop per person, with 30 to 100 people per day adds up. Just look at the number of diesel trucks (pickup and heavy duty) that have diesel fuel all arround the filler neck.

The bottom line is that it is nearly impossible to fill with out at least some spillage. If you don't like it then drive a gasser.
I have driven a diesel for a long time and havent ONCE spilled like I see it everyday.Maybe the slobs should clean up their act so I dont have to stand in it. P.S. most pumps have gas and diesel from the same pump so driving a gasser doesnt solve a thing.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 PM

I would sometimes accidentally spill gas by it coming out of my fill tube on my 1980 Sierra Grande 2500. Doesn't have a modern design that allowed you just to stick it in there. Well, it doesn't really matter anymore because it's now dead in the garage...
Old 10-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Banned

I love the smell of diesel so I purposely spray some around when I fill up. Sorry.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 AM

I'd especially like to find the tank topping dip**** who uses pump 5 at the Claresholm UFA Cardlock. SOB leaves the fill spout full when it's hung back on the pump as a surprise for the next guy.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 AM

I think some stations never clean their pumps. When you see diesel caked all around the pump you know no cleaning is taken place here. Also do not want to try the coffee at a station like that.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I think some stations never clean their pumps. When you see diesel caked all around the pump you know no cleaning is taken place here. Also do not want to try the coffee at a station like that.
When I see pumps like that the thing I wonder is how often the pump filters are changed. If they can't wipe down the pump housings I'm sure they could not change a filter.