Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Why vent on an outdoorsman forum for something like this
Why not? Why click on it?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The horse ain't dead 'till the fat Mod sings.
Ohhh, good way to keep them quiet
Old 10-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Banned

Stick it to them, without consequences they will continue down the same street. I had the same issues with my neighbors kids and I came down hard on them...but guess what they are now better people.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM

I know nothing about glass price, took a wag. The big store here said likely not much over $2000, my apologies for guessing high.
I deal more with commercial than residential.
I thought the shear size of it would make it much higher.

I agree with others that people have to be held accountable for their actions, far too many Liberals on the forum have a 'oh well you didn't die so who cares' attitude.

Enjoy the decline

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Another guide breaking the law. I demand an apology from Apos and ....
To be clear...... We were NOT baiting.

OP, I could have that glass delivered to Calgary for about $500, if you can find someone to install it.

Last edited by Kurt505; 10-30-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I know nothing about glass price, took a wag. The big store here said likely not much over $2000, my apologies for guessing high.
I deal more with commercial than residential.
No worries the labour costs for install should get you a decent way closer to your estimate. Two man job for probably a quoted half day+, then install materials. Two thousand probably gets you a non coated seald unit as well (best to get a higher preforming window at that size). 3-4k likely wouldn't be to far off for a quote knowing little about the job.

(This is if you go to a glazing contractor and buy/install it at retail value)

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 10-30-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Get the kid to work it off. It'll probably take him 2 years of mowing and shovelling snow to pay for it, but he'll get more out of it than you.

Colin
This is a good idea, if the mom agrees too it, kids have to learn that their poor actions cost, and it's better to learn this young, and at the same time you won't have to push your own snow! This will make this kid think twice before causing damage to your property, or others at that!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

This thread is hilarious. How old is this child? And who's the adult here?

Single mother and you want to crucify her and the kid? Heck, put it through insurance and we'll all pay for it. I've done some stupid stuff in my lifetime, it's called being a kid.

Bunch of grumpy old men that have never done anything wrong in their lives here eh? I grew up without a father, and thankfully some adult men took me under their wings and showed me a life. Likely what the kid needs.

Sit down and talk to the boy, ask him if he did it and see if there's a way you can work things out fairly. Maybe he can do chores and such around your home.

Can you not replace a window yourself? It's not that hard. Look around and find a good used one.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Single mother and you want to crucify her and the kid? Heck, put it through insurance and we'll all pay for it. I've done some stupid stuff in my lifetime, it's called being a kid.

Bunch of grumpy old men that have never done anything wrong in their lives here eh? I grew up without a father, and thankfully some adult men took me under their wings and showed me a life. Likely what the kid needs.

Sit down and talk to the boy, ask him if he did it and see if there's a way you can work things out fairly. Maybe he can do chores and such around your home.

Can you not replace a window yourself? It's not that hard. Look around and find a good used one.
Surely you realize being reasonable doesn't cut it here.
You said it perfectly...can be summed up by the old adage...let he without sin cast the first stone.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default Access privada

Quote:

x2
Old 10-30-2017, 09:24 PM

What needs to happen is a BB / Pellet Gun Registry. A computer index of child owners that could be utilized by police throughout the county to aid in broken glass and dented can crime cases. I can't see it costing tax payers more than a few million.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

I appreciate and agree with what you're saying, but finding a good used window that will fit his opening would be like winning the lotto.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Take a picture of the boy with your phone

Get a 3”x5” picture made at London Drugs

Glue the pic to a milk carton

Leave it on her doorstep

Enjoy your new window

Oh, wear rubber gloves when you do all that. Then melt them....
Old 10-30-2017, 10:07 PM

Take the deductible payment and get a new window from insurance. A window from 1971 is about the same as just having mosquito screen in there. He'll learn his lesson from hearing it from her over and over again and your house will be much warmer in that room.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Lots of variability in the responses here. Almost all of them deal with a remedy for the result of the problem and not necessarily the cause.

What, pray tell happens if and when it occurs a second time, likely after the window has been replaced at someone's or someone's insurance companies expense?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 PM

Default Glass replacement

Call Myron at all window repair...I would estimate probably about 1k to put new sealed unit...
Old 10-30-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:

X3
Old 10-31-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:

I agree with this very much^

A lot of assumptions being made about the kid and the mother on here.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
"It takes a village."

Which one are you?
Ya but if the village is full of idiots then what?
Society in general....cattle....huh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am thinking more of reducing the chances of future damage. The mother admitted that he already ruined a window in her home, and the OP has one as well, so if the kid is not stopped, what will he damage next, or who will he hurt? If the kid can't be responsible with a pellet gun, it should be taken away from him, before more damage is done.
Or invite the young lad out to a range, do some "safe" plinking...and as asked earlier if mom is cute and your single.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2017, 07:36 AM
Banned

Is the Mom hot? Like 58 Cats little picture?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

So because she is a single mom she gets off free? Ya nothing wrong with that at all except breeding more entitlement. Next thing you know single mom's will be demanding a discount on other goods and services.

OP contact the ex husband and get some of her child support to fix the window lol.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:40 AM

Old 10-31-2017, 08:54 AM

I wonder how many people would have a different opinion if the OP was a single parent on a tight budget, and the neighbor with the air rifle belonged to a family with RVs, snowmobiles, and expensive vehicles?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
I wonder how many people would have a different opinion if the OP was a single parent on a tight budget, and the neighbor with the air rifle belonged to a family with RVs, snowmobiles, and expensive vehicles?
This. Especially if replacing the window was gonna blow his hunting budget.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I would make a decision on the course of action to proceed with after assessing each circumstance individually. There would be no blanket course of action.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:20 AM

So many assumptions towards the mother in this case. Child support, divorce settlement, milking the system, etc etc. None of you know her personal circumstances but are quick place labels based on one post in an internet forum. Says much more about some of the commentators than the woman herself.

Last year, we woke up to a broken window, could tell it was broken from the inside. There were 4 people in the house and 2 of us went to sleep together at the same time. That leaves 2 people. But, because we didn't see what happened and the other 2 claims to not know what happened, what did I do? Replaced the window and left it at that. It wasn't worth the hassle to start combating people over the window. What ever happened, it was an accident, not an on purpose.

Best advice here is to upgrade your window and approach the mother in a non combative and non judgmental way and offer to teach the boy about proper safety and go out target shooting.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
My thinking would still be the same...THE OP HAS NO PROOF.
But that seems to be lost on you.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
So many assumptions towards the mother in this case. Child support, divorce settlement, milking the system, etc etc. None of you know her personal circumstances but are quick place labels based on one post in an internet forum. Says much more about some of the commentators than the woman herself.

Last year, we woke up to a broken window, could tell it was broken from the inside. There were 4 people in the house and 2 of us went to sleep together at the same time. That leaves 2 people. But, because we didn't see what happened and the other 2 claims to not know what happened, what did I do? Replaced the window and left it at that. It wasn't worth the hassle to start combating people over the window. What ever happened, it was an accident, not an on purpose.

Best advice here is to upgrade your window and approach the mother in a non combative and non judgmental way and offer to teach the boy about proper safety and go out target shooting.
X2
Old 10-31-2017, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
get the kid to work it off. It'll probably take him 2 years of mowing and shovelling snow to pay for it, but he'll get more out of it than you.

Colin
yep