Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 08:47 PM

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
A pellet sized dab of silicone on a 46 year old window vs putting the screws to a single mom who is unemployed. Hmmm. Not much of a decision.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be miffed, as I would be, but you wanna know what would be better than getting justice? Taking the boy for a bite to eat and talking to him about responsibility and owning up to a stupid act. Kid has it hard enough without a father around and a mom who likely has very little spare change.

You never know what an act of kindness will do.

My thoughts as well. I’m with SNS and Keg River on this one, It would’t make me feel any better or happier about the situation to take what little this family is getting by on.
Ken
Old 10-29-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

She has a point, there's no proof of who did it. I realize that in all likelihood it was the young lad with the BB gun but if it ever went to court, and the boy doesn't admit to it, I don't think you'd get anything. The fact she's offering to pay anything is a bonus, I'd suggest you take the money she's offering. With your window being a 1971 it's just a matter of time before the seal fails, at least this way your getting a little help with the cost. Might be a good time to consider putting in a new PVC window that's broken into 3 (a 5x5 picture window with a 2x5 casement on either side) so next time it's only $400 to replace one.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
So the neighbor boy who lives across the street was toting his pellet gun around. I saw him a few times after he got home from school pointing at things. I now have a perfect conical hole in my 9x5 picture window. His mother happened to walk by a couple days later and I let her see the hole. She felt very sorry, said she has the same hole in her kitchen window. She will have a talk with him . We discussed who would pay for replacement and she offered to pay my deductible. I didn't fully agree to that. Now a few weeks have past and I met with her again. I suggest she use her insurance to cover it but no dice. She said she will pay a couple hundred to the new window but that's it. She basically said it's my word against hers. She said we don't even know if it was him who shot the window. She is divorced and hasn't worked in about a year, good luck getting anymore out of me and left it at that. This window was new in 1971. It is (was) perfectly sealed, no fogging or moisture. I put some silicone on the hole. What options do I have? Other than shelling out $$$$ of my pocket to replace the whole thing?
Why vent on an outdoorsman forum for something like this....Come on...deal with it and move on.....1971 window....
Old 10-29-2017, 09:16 PM

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-home-outdoor...ens/1264275625

Cheap like borscht.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:25 PM

"It takes a village."

Which one are you?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 PM

A new one might be $1000 plus install. I certainly wouldn't bother with an insurance claim for under $1500. However, helping them out with a little firearms safety does sound like a great use if time.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
So the neighbor boy who lives across the street was toting his pellet gun around. I saw him a few times after he got home from school pointing at things. I now have a perfect conical hole in my 9x5 picture window. His mother happened to walk by a couple days later and I let her see the hole. She felt very sorry, said she has the same hole in her kitchen window. She will have a talk with him . We discussed who would pay for replacement and she offered to pay my deductible. I didn't fully agree to that. Now a few weeks have past and I met with her again. I suggest she use her insurance to cover it but no dice. She said she will pay a couple hundred to the new window but that's it. She basically said it's my word against hers. She said we don't even know if it was him who shot the window. She is divorced and hasn't worked in about a year, good luck getting anymore out of me and left it at that. This window was new in 1971. It is (was) perfectly sealed, no fogging or moisture. I put some silicone on the hole. What options do I have? Other than shelling out $$$$ of my pocket to replace the whole thing?

And that right there is the cause of most of our societies problems. Crappy parenting.

She has no money?
I bet she has a iphone. Believe it or not, you don't need a iphone IF you need a cell phone at all.

Where'd she get the money for the pellet gun? Someone who is completely broke doesn't get their kid a pellet gun.

I bet she gets child support.

My point is, she can afford a little money each month until the full deductable is paid off.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Why vent on an outdoorsman forum for something like this....Come on...deal with it and move on.....1971 window....
My thoughts exactly. With a hole in the window your insurance will cover it. If you'd taken her up on the deductible you would have been out nothing.
The window is 40 years old...it won't last forever and at some point the seals will fail due to age...then it's completely out of your pocket.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Take pictures of your and her window with the hole in it. Print them along with pictures of both her and your house. Go talk to her and give her the option to pay for replacement. If she gets snotty and there is no chance of amicable resolution go down to the court house with an estimate for the new window in hand, fill out the Statement of Claim for the exact amount, pay $100 to file it. Make sure you ask for costs.
Serve her in person, file the Affidavit of Service and wait for her to come give you the money to cancel the action. If she does not pay she likely won't show up for pretrial or even file a dispute and you will get judgement against her. Then you file your action in Court of Queens Bench and you can seize the money from her bank account, garnishee wages or seize assets through an Alberta Sheriff.
Total cost $100 anda couple trips to the court house. How much is the window? $5000? $7500?

Play the game to match the competition.
Or glue it and write it off as 'kids will be kids'.

The attitude would determine how I would handle it.

Then get ahold of Kurt on here and get him to install a new window.
unfortunately all this will do is cost the OP a hundred bucks plus time off work and he will still have a hole in his window.

mack
Old 10-30-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Total cost $100 anda couple trips to the court house. How much is the window? $5000? $7500?

Play the game to match the competition.
If you write off an old car you don’t get compensated with a brand new one.
I wonder what 1971 windows are going for these days? I would hope you don’t value a 45 year old window that will ultimately fail soon at today’s value. Probably couldn’t even give those windows away.
Correct me if I’m wrong but are you suggesting he try and make her buy a 5000 dollar window to replace a 10 dollar one? Perhaps I read that wrong. My bad if so.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:00 AM

I agree with sns2 and Kegriver on this one based on the info given.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Take pictures when you see the kid with the air rifle and file a report with bylaw. Perhaps this will prevent future repeats of this problem.
Yup build a case, still no proof he did it but when the law shows up he will rethink any future actions or break down and say he did it then pursue the mother to pay for damages...or if all else fails a .177 hole is just that...silicone and if it gets through the winter without cracking your good to go.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-30-2017, 05:59 AM

There are also window/windshield repair kits you can buy that may work better then just silicon.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup build a case, still no proof he did it but when the law shows up he will rethink any future actions or break down and say he did it then pursue the mother to pay for damages...or if all else fails a .177 hole is just that...silicone and if it gets through the winter without cracking your good to go.
I am thinking more of reducing the chances of future damage. The mother admitted that he already ruined a window in her home, and the OP has one as well, so if the kid is not stopped, what will he damage next, or who will he hurt? If the kid can't be responsible with a pellet gun, it should be taken away from him, before more damage is done.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:39 AM

It was 1971 window. Take the deductible payment and get a new window. Or get the kid to work the deductible off. That way you get a new energy efficient window and save money that way and the kid will learn a life lesson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
that way and the kid will learn a life lesson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was Trouble when I was a really young kid and I once took out my neighbors window with a sling shot and rock that my parents had to replace with the $$$ they didn't have...."You are going to get it and Never forget it", my dad said and Trust me I still Hav'nt forgot.....I think my arms are still sore from the yard work I did that year
Old 10-30-2017, 06:59 AM

Long story short!! Really depends on your gut feeling and what level of relation you want to have with your neighbor! Hopefully she has dealt with her kid and he realizes that it is a serious matter. You know best I would think
Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 AM

The attitude of the mother stinks. At first she was sorry, and said she will talk to her son, and offer to pay a deductible. Then she comes back with an offer of $200 and "no proof it was him". Firstly, she is failing as a parent for not holding her son accountable for his actions, and she is also not holding herself accountable for what her son is doing. If she had said "sorry neighbour, I will bring my son to come and apologize for breaking your window. I am short on cash right now but could I pay you a $100 a month to cover your cost to repair your window", then maybe the OP would have been more forgiving.
She and her son need to be held accountable for their actions. As a parent I am responsible for the actions of my kids. And my kids are responsible for their actions. A 5x9 window is not cheap. And what is to say the irresponsible kid will not shoot a hole in the new window.

Last edited by Immigrant; 10-30-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:25 AM
Banned

I'd like to know how anyone knows it was the neighbors kid and not one of his friends? I have no doubt it was the bob gun but nobody on the forum was there.

Maybe after her initial conversation with the op she had a discussion with her son and he claimed it was his friend? Too many possibilities and not enough proof. Take the cash and be happy imo.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:38 AM

Lots of interesting replies regarding payment, forget payment, she can't afford it, she can afford it, old window, replace it and move on etc.

I suspect it is a BB gun more so than a pellet gun. Unless pellets have changed considerably over the years the lead just flattens and doesn't penetrate the window. BB's are made of copper and usually make a nice little conical puncture in glass. ( Don't bother asking how I know that).

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is the fact that a young man is actually discharging an air rifle in town. Yes, I know it's just a BB/pellet gun But..... lets just say the O P goes ahead replaces the window on his own nickle and a month later there is another hole in the new one? Who pays for this??
Point being, regardless of who pays for the window this young man needs to learn shooting any type of firearm has consequences! The BB gun needs to be handed over to someone with a whole lot more responsibility.

Case in point; A few years back in S W Calgary, there was a young man discharging a 22 from his second floor bedroom window in a condo into a school yard. Police were called on multiple occasions, no proof, no search warrant, bla bla bla. The nice young man turned 18, dropped into a local pub a couple blocks from home, got into some sort of scuffle and was tossed from pub. About a half hour later this nice young man returned with his trusty 22 and ended up killing the owner of the pub.

This person with the BB gun needs discipline!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Lots of interesting replies regarding payment, forget payment, she can't afford it, she can afford it, old window, replace it and move on etc.

I suspect it is a BB gun more so than a pellet gun. Unless pellets have changed considerably over the years the lead just flattens and doesn't penetrate the window. BB's are made of copper and usually make a nice little conical puncture in glass. ( Don't bother asking how I know that).

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is the fact that a young man is actually discharging an air rifle in town. Yes, I know it's just a BB/pellet gun But..... lets just say the O P goes ahead replaces the window on his own nickle and a month later there is another hole in the new one? Who pays for this??
Point being, regardless of who pays for the window this young man needs to learn shooting any type of firearm has consequences! The BB gun needs to be handed over to someone with a whole lot more responsibility.

Case in point; A few years back in S W Calgary, there was a young man discharging a 22 from his second floor bedroom window in a condo into a school yard. Police were called on multiple occasions, no proof, no search warrant, bla bla bla. The nice young man turned 18, dropped into a local pub a couple blocks from home, got into some sort of scuffle and was tossed from pub. About a half hour later this nice young man returned with his trusty 22 and ended up killing the owner of the pub.

This person with the BB gun needs discipline!

Just my 2 cents.
And my concern is also preventing future issues due to the air rifle. The next time it could be someone's new window, or a vehicle, or a pet, or some other kid. Two windows have already been damaged, and the OP mentions that the kid was walking around outside several times with the air rifle. The mother obviously isn't concerned or this would not have gone this far, so someone else needs to deal with this. Given that there is a bylaw to prevent the discharge of air rifles in the city, take pictures or videos of the kid outside with the air rifle and let bylaw deal with this. If they confiscate the air rifle, future problems could be avoided.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Banned

I guess the old days of putting a bend in the barrel don’t work so well anymore so more than likely grabbing the kid by the ear while you boot his ass won’t work either. She might need a wake up call as well. Don’t know what the answer is to resolve this but you’ll figure it out.

I’m not so sure calling the cops are the answer. Probably only teach the kid that the justice system is inept.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:07 AM

No proof in which to make a legit stink.

See if you can get a rebate from Alberta Government. Then everyone on AOF is paying a portion of a new window.

https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/hom...ement/windows/
Also the market is not in the best shape yet in Alberta. Call all the window guys up and say you are in the market for a window at a super price. When they get slow and want to help out with this lady's troubles...and you can get a deal then you will pay for the new window.

Get a Triple Pane Low E window...you will see a massive change in heat loss/gain and also noise. Get the vinyl and have no maintenance. As a picture window it will be a big home selling feature so you will see a benefit at sale.

I agree however with seeing if you can mentor the boy. Take him and his mom to range and sign the kid up for hunter training. Maybe even pay the fees to get him into Scouts.

Bored kids are trouble. Busy kids are fun.

Sometimes life sucks and a little turn of the cheek can make you feel better about yourself as well as forgive and forget and make two other people a little less miserable.

My thoughts.

SDF
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-30-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I guess the old days of putting a bend in the barrel don’t work so well anymore so more than likely grabbing the kid by the ear while you boot his ass won’t work either. She might need a wake up call as well. Don’t know what the answer is to resolve this but you’ll figure it out.

I’m not so sure calling the cops are the answer. Probably only teach the kid that the justice system is inept.
And as others have said...the kid was seen with a b.b. gun.
Show me definitive proof it was him.
Who here has not had something happen to them that they were sure was the result of something they knew for sure...and then found out they were entirely wrong
Old 10-30-2017, 08:13 AM

If the mom was a 100% sure it was not her son, whey then offer "a couple of hundred bucks" at all?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned

So. The other day I saw a drone flying over my house. Yesterday I noticed that one of my attic vents (new last autumn) is broken.

The only guy near here that flies these little helios is a guy from Paradise Hill.

Ergo, Ken Corvette owes me a roof vent. Right?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
If the mom was a 100% sure it was not her son, whey then offer "a couple of hundred bucks" at all?
As well as this statement.

Quote:
She felt very sorry, said she has the same hole in her kitchen window.
The OP can't prove that the kid did it, but it's obvious that the mother knows that the kid is shooting the air rifle in the neighborhood, and even she thinks/knows that he is responsible. Otherwise, why would someone short on cash offer any compensation? As it stands, the damage is done, but it likely can't be proven who did it, so the only recourse is to try and prevent future damage.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
And as others have said...the kid was seen with a b.b. gun.
Show me definitive proof it was him.
Who here has not had something happen to them that they were sure was the result of something they knew for sure...and then found out they were entirely wrong
Kids do what kids do. Chances are pretty good imo that the kid did it. I’m sure the op didn’t do it himself. If the kid is a truly good kid he’ll tell the truth but chances are he’ll lie as many good kids do. I find it laughable that many parents are blind and think their little Johnny would never do such a thing but they do. As a father of two boys and a girl I know this quite well. As well as I was a kid once and remember the shenanigans that I got up to.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Some pretty ridiculous replies. You can't get blood from a turnip and there is no proof. Thank God my neighbor is awesome and didn't call the cops on my kid when he broke his shed window with his BB gun (we live in the country). He let me know and we dealt with it ourselves starting with an apooogy and yes, some firm, lost privileges. A picture window is not $7500. A few hundred at worst for the replacement glass and it's good to go. I would take what she can afford and hope to work out some chores for him as a result.
Call the bylaw? Go to the courthouse? Take pictures? Gimme a break. He's a kid doing what kids do. They make mistakes. I say deal with it internally and have some common sense. I bet she would jump on the chance to teach him some discipline for his actions by making him work some of it off.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 AM

If there is a conical hole in the window from a pellet, there will be a pellet in the house somewhere. It won't prove that her boy did it, but it sure narrows it down if it's the same pellet type he has. It won't be enough proof for law enforcement, but it just might be enough for her.

If you have the means, perhaps replace the window and offer to put her on some type of payment plan of $100 per month or something like that. Or, maybe you could get her son to work it off by doing chores around your place like snow shoveling, paint fence, cut grass, etc.

Just my $0.02.