Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Neighbor damaged picture window.

So the neighbor boy who lives across the street was toting his pellet gun around. I saw him a few times after he got home from school pointing at things. I now have a perfect conical hole in my 9x5 picture window. His mother happened to walk by a couple days later and I let her see the hole. She felt very sorry, said she has the same hole in her kitchen window. She will have a talk with him . We discussed who would pay for replacement and she offered to pay my deductible. I didn't fully agree to that. Now a few weeks have past and I met with her again. I suggest she use her insurance to cover it but no dice. She said she will pay a couple hundred to the new window but that's it. She basically said it's my word against hers. She said we don't even know if it was him who shot the window. She is divorced and hasn't worked in about a year, good luck getting anymore out of me and left it at that. This window was new in 1971. It is (was) perfectly sealed, no fogging or moisture. I put some silicone on the hole. What options do I have? Other than shelling out $$$$ of my pocket to replace the whole thing?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Call the cops...let them sort it out if she won't cover a full repair.

LC
Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 PM

Get the kid to work it off. It'll probably take him 2 years of mowing and shovelling snow to pay for it, but he'll get more out of it than you.

Colin
Old 10-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Gone Hunting

the silicone should hold it

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Tell her you want any money she can afford and his pellet gun maybe he'll learn something.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:49 PM

Take pictures of your and her window with the hole in it. Print them along with pictures of both her and your house. Go talk to her and give her the option to pay for replacement. If she gets snotty and there is no chance of amicable resolution go down to the court house with an estimate for the new window in hand, fill out the Statement of Claim for the exact amount, pay $100 to file it. Make sure you ask for costs.
Serve her in person, file the Affidavit of Service and wait for her to come give you the money to cancel the action. If she does not pay she likely won't show up for pretrial or even file a dispute and you will get judgement against her. Then you file your action in Court of Queens Bench and you can seize the money from her bank account, garnishee wages or seize assets through an Alberta Sheriff.
Total cost $100 anda couple trips to the court house. How much is the window? $5000? $7500?

Play the game to match the competition.
Or glue it and write it off as 'kids will be kids'.

The attitude would determine how I would handle it.

Then get ahold of Kurt on here and get him to install a new window.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-29-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:54 PM

She said she would pay for the deductible. Good for her. You should take advantage of that. Your insurance won't go up for this incident. You have no proof of who/what/when/why/where, I wouldn't say how the window was damaged to your ins co. Just tell them it was damaged.

Ask his Mother if you could talk to the boy about responsible use of an air rifle..........in the Mothers presence. Make a good lasting impression on the boy, I think he may need it.

I wouldn't involve anyone else on this matter.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Gone Hunting

"She is divorced and hasn't worked in about a year, good luck getting anymore out of me and left it at that. "

Anyone else see this?

call your insurance and move on.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"She is divorced and hasn't worked in about a year, good luck getting anymore out of me and left it at that. "

Anyone else see this?

call your insurance and move on.
If he is not to blame why should it cost him at all? Yes it will affect insurance, they don't just throw money out when you ask, you lose claim free discounts.
This is especially true when there is no party to go after. I am guessing she will hand over grocery bags of change, not give him a cheque with 'for window idiot son shot'.

Yes I saw that. I read the attitude. Possibly the reason she is divorced. If she was a happy go lucky mature sane responsible person there likely would not be a thread about it.
Judgement is good for 10 years.

The feedback forum is good on places like this because it shows others where risks are evident in dealing with someone.

Court and the Credit Bureau do the same thing.

'Good luck getting anymore out of me' sounds like a challenge, so challenge accepted!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If he is not to blame why should it cost him at all? Yes it will affect insurance, they don't just throw money out when you ask, you lose claim free discounts.
This is especially true when there is no party to go after. I am guessing she will hand over grocery bags of change, not give him a cheque with 'for window idiot son shot'.

Yes I saw that. I read the attitude. Possibly the reason she is divorced. If she was a happy go lucky mature sane responsible person there likely would not be a thread about it.
Judgement is good for 10 years.

The feedback forum is good on places like this because it shows others where risks are evident in dealing with someone.

Court and the Credit Bureau do the same thing.

'Good luck getting anymore out of me' sounds like a challenge, so challenge accepted!

If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't 'get it' anyway.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 PM

No proof it was the boy. Accept the deductible payment or risk nothing from her.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:54 PM

As you didn’t see him do it, and there are no witnesses I think you’re out of luck. Sucks but move on.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:00 PM

Take pictures when you see the kid with the air rifle and file a report with bylaw. Perhaps this will prevent future repeats of this problem.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-29-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Gone Hunting

A while back I drove over two hundred Km RT to pull a young fellow out of a hole he had gotten himself in to. He offered to pay, I declined the offer.

Some times it is the right thing to do, because we are a community.

I could not accept money for a broken window from a single parent under such circumstances. Not even if she had broke it.

But that's just me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
No proof it was the boy. Accept the deductible payment or risk nothing from her.
Yup.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
A while back I drove over two hundred Km RT to pull a young fellow out of a hole he had gotten himself in to. He offered to pay, I declined the offer.

Some times it is the right thing to do, because we are a community.

I could not accept money for a broken window from a single parent under such circumstances. Not even if she had broke it.

But that's just me.
Keg gets it. lol

Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 PM

Lots of good replies coming in. I think she is working the system. She was working before, probably collecting EI now. With very low income she would be getting the max. amount for both her boys. Plus I think she would be getting something from her ex, they usually can't bypass those payments. Possibly has a divorce settlement payment stashed. I get what you guys are saying. Some saying forgive and forget move on. Others saying to stand up and work out what she is accountable for. What gets me is that she originally said she would pay my deductible, (which is $1000) but now saying only a couple hundred. Its frustrating
Old 10-29-2017, 07:07 PM

A pellet sized dab of silicone on a 46 year old window vs putting the screws to a single mom who is unemployed. Hmmm. Not much of a decision.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be miffed, as I would be, but you wanna know what would be better than getting justice? Taking the boy for a bite to eat and talking to him about responsibility and owning up to a stupid act. Kid has it hard enough without a father around and a mom who likely has very little spare change.

You never know what an act of kindness will do.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:19 PM

sns2, sooo if she was employed it would be ok? How about in the future when I go to sell this house? The prospective buyer is going to be thankful I forgave them about the window damage and they will look after it, lol.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:19 PM

Enroll him in a firearms course, take the course with him ....maybe take him to the range or out hunting.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't 'get it' anyway.
If you read my reply you would see my reasoning. Try from the 'snotty attitude' part.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
sns2, sooo if she was employed it would be ok? How about in the future when I go to sell this house? The prospective buyer is going to be thankful I forgave them about the window damage and they will look after it, lol.
Yes.

You selling your house?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
Lots of good replies coming in. I think she is working the system. She was working before, probably collecting EI now. With very low income she would be getting the max. amount for both her boys. Plus I think she would be getting something from her ex, they usually can't bypass those payments. Possibly has a divorce settlement payment stashed. I get what you guys are saying. Some saying forgive and forget move on. Others saying to stand up and work out what she is accountable for. What gets me is that she originally said she would pay my deductible, (which is $1000) but now saying only a couple hundred. Its frustrating

I know nothing about you, your age, wealth, health, nothing at all. I am betting everyone saying 'big deal let the poor single mom live her life' also know nothing about you either.
This little scenario does not affect anyone in this forum but you. If you don't mind throwing thousands of dollars out for a replacement window, as a few in here seem to think is immaterial, let her go.
Nobody minds anything that does not concern them personally apparently, and everyone wants to give advice when there is nothing on the line.
I just offered advice that includes 3rd party mediation.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-29-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
If you read my reply you would see my reasoning. Try from the 'snotty attitude' part.
I did read it, and dismissed your solution as being ridiculous and over reacting.

Like I said , you wouldn't "Get It' and whoops, you didn't.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I did read it, and dismissed your solution as being ridiculous and over reacting.

Like I said , you wouldn't "Get It' and whoops, you didn't.
Was it you saying Lawyers wont be needed soon?

Then be the big man and give the OP a few thousand to replace the window. Money means nothing to you right?

Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 PM

Talk to the kid and his mother. Maybe you could mentor the kid a bit in the safe use of a firearm. Teach him what he can and cannot shoot at, make some targets and spend some time with him. That may help him out in the future. Sounds to me like he is a bored kid with no father figure for guidance. Or you could choose to fight with her as a neighbor.

JMHO

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 10-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Banned

If the silicon solution works then go with that... least amount of skin off of everyones arse.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Banned

If the window is from the 70s it seems like a good time to upgrade to a good energy efficient window. Get the mother to pay the deductible as she offered then take the boy out and teach him proper gun safety only with real guns😁 and I don’t think it would hurt any for the young lad to give one years hard labor shoveling and mowing as already stated.

I also recommend for those readers who share the same opinion in regards to reading useless drivel 90% of the time. This message is hidden because Ken07AOVette is on your ignore list.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Was it you saying Lawyers wont be needed soon?

Then be the big man and give the OP a few thousand to replace the window. Money means nothing to you right?
Now you're just making stuff up

Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 PM

The seals been broken so the silicone repair won't work, the window will fog up on the inside over the winter. Start planning to replace it regardless of who's paying.