Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur1005 View Post
Never work for government unless you have to - most people that you will meet who work in government are incapable of doing anything else in their lives. This applies to enforcement work of any kind and especially to those who serve in executive capacities in any level of government. Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet.
Wow how can you say "out to lunch"...sorry you need a sandwich with that coffee! Seem a little hangry....

I say go for it, if this is your dream...and listen to Steve W and Mr Conservation they been there and done it. PM those people for insight to this career path and good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The F&W conservation officers are our frontlines in the battle for conservation and protection of our wildlife.

My hat is off to all the officers efforts, past and present, involved in this noble cause. Even though there are not many of you, I can't imagine what our wilds would be like without people like yourselves. Thank you for your unwavering diligence.
VERY WELL SAID.

I have nothing but respect for F&W officers and what they deal with.

To the OP - Go for it! Good luck!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 PM

Read the Western Canadian Game Warden Magazine, meet your local officers, go to school and try to get summer jobs in the field of study. Fish and Wildlife Officers are not allowed to take people out on ride-a-longs any more but most are approachable and generally happy to chat.

It used to be very difficult to get a job as an officer due to few positions and lots of competition, not so these days. Every agency is hiring and competing for qualified people. Alberta has held an academy every year for the past 3 or 4 years, including this year and have had more positions then qualified applicants.

A degree from Lethbridge is accepted everywhere and there are lots of opportunities in this field.

You have to pass a medical, psychological exam, eye exams, pass their fitness test and rigorous internal training but if successful it is a great job, very rewarding (except financially, you won't get rich being a Game Warden unlike what you might read in the media LOL) huge variety in duties and you never know what the next call will bring.

It requires working weekends and varied shifts, some politics that can be an irritant but a great job with lots of variety, an awesome career choice.

Good Luck!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Never work for government unless you have to - most people that you will meet who work in government are incapable of doing anything else in their lives. This applies to enforcement work of any kind and especially to those who serve in executive capacities in any level of government. Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet.
Could not agree more....I think you nailed it!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
I retired in May of 2014 after 29 years as a Conservation Officer in BC - very similar to the Alberta F&W officers. I started LCC in 1982 and heard all the same stories about competition for jobs and no positions available etc. Things change radially with gov't and there will be lean times in the hiring of officers, but there is also many time where positions are filled in significant numbers all at once.

Make sure you keep you options open and don't just focus on one career path. There are several agencies that have jobs in the same field worth considering, Fisheries and Oceans, National Parks, other provinces F&W programs. You may have to take a few different career paths to get you where you want to be.

I am glad I did it and highly recommend it as a career. Please feel free to send me a private message and I can try to answer questions you may have. I was involved in recruiting for BC for several years as well.

Good Luck!

Steve,

Miss your columns in Western Canadian Game Warden !!

Mr. Conservation
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM

Right out of high school I attended LCC with he same goal in mind. Jobs were tight (this was 20-22 years ago). 6 of roughly 60 grads got a job at that time. I was not one of them.

I transferred to University and completed my Biology degree, again hoping to "have an advantage" and end up in role in this field. Dis a few years in what used to be STEP program ( student temporary employment program ). It was awesome. Had a great time and learned quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I went on to do other things (and even more University) ..... Engineering/Business and am working in the private sector ..... the work is rewarding, and pays well, but I'm not outdoors or in the woods like I'd prefer to be.

Best wishes .... go for it ..... if it's something you want to do ..... pursue it.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Hey folks, new to the forum!
I’m 31 now and although I feel hesitant because of my age, I’m still highly considering dropping my tool belt as a carpenter and heading for a degree to pursue a career in fish and wildlife enforcement. It’s a dream job and I kick myself daily for not getting a degree when I was younger. Here’s my main question:

I keep seeing all signs pointing to Lethbridge college, but I live in Edmonton. I was told by U of A that they offer a course that would provide a degree like the one offered at Lethbridge but I’m wondering why all I see is recommendations for Lethbridge if other colleges apparently offer it. Anyone hear if the U of A is a good direction to go and if there is much success in graduates from the program actually getting into the line of work?

Any info would be great! Also, if there’s anyone here who is a conservation officer/F&W officer, I’d love to hear what you think!

Thanks very much in advance.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I also read there is a high rate of depression in govt employees.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:36 PM

This website is great for those who are searching for careers.

https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occu...ation-officer/
Old 10-30-2017, 03:56 PM

Province just hired 5 in the spring and are hiring 10 more members right now.

WC
Old 10-30-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Wow, good way to encourage our youth to go in to a stable career. I currently work in the government with enforcement and am quite capable of doing many other things but chose my path for my own reasons. Really just because you may not be qualified for the position is no reason to discourage someone looking to go into a field that is in need of up and coming officers.