Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 01:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Winter tires are all liked and disliked for various reasons, but the basics is that they will all improve real winter driving. The key is zoning in on the characteristics that are important to you because no tire is the best in every aspect as there are always trade offs. Soft and sticky is better on ice but wears faster. Gnarly lugs dig in snow better but are noisier and handle worse. etc etc...

One thing that warrants mentioning on this thread especially is that there are very big differences in the winter tires for trucks specifically when you are comparing standard load (P rated) winter tires to heavy duty (10ply LRE) winter tires. This is because the tires are are rated for extra heavy loads (3/4 and 1 ton vs 1/2 ton) are not built with the extra soft compounds that the standard loads versions are as the heavy duty applications would destroy these compounds when used in heavy duty service...
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Toyo open country.
Oh god NO!!!
Old 11-03-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on a True winter truck tire? I was looking at Hercules Avalanche Xtreme but haven’t heard of them.anybody else? And I don’t care for All seasons at the moment so no need to bring them up. Thanks
I ran studded Nokian Hakks for years on my dsl 1 ton and they are the best but last year i couldnt get them so i went to the Hercs on advice of my wife's mechanic, i was very sceptical being made in Austaralia (no much snow there) but they are well worth the money and seem to wear very well, 10ply load, range E, still very sticky, good in mud too.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff

Last edited by Snowdog; 11-03-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 PM

I run general Altimax arctic in a 10 ply. This is my 4th winter on them and I’m now pushing a 7.5’ snow plow with them. So far I can’t say enough good about them. Price was right they wear good and I have never wished I got them studded. If I need extra traction I just pop it into 4x4 drop a gear and slow down.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Thanks guys

Awesome feedback guys. I found Wards tires to be the best price on the Hercules and Looks liken kal tire for the Nokian Hakkas but they don’t last as long according to most of my findings. I’m stuck between getting these studded or buying some Blizzaks.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:05 AM

Check out Cooper xt4's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 06:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
No don't. you'll regret it..

Get proper winter tires..

There was just a thread about this Last week..

hakkas (if money is no object, and you want the best).
Winterforce Studded (which Is what I would go with, seem to clear snow better than hakkas).
General Artics are getting great reviews in the states.
Please explain....my perspective is if you have a so called great winter tire and then stud them now you got a better all around tire for grip on ice etc...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Stud the duratracks and your good to go.
Duratracks suck. Compound is far to firm and big lugs do nothing for snow or ice traction. You'll add a few MPG with duratracks also. Many better tire options out there either all season or dedicate winter.

If you stud racing slicks they make a world of difference.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Duratracks suck. Compound is far to firm and big lugs do nothing for snow or ice traction. You'll add a few MPG with duratracks also. Many better tire options out there either all season or dedicate winter.

If you stud racing slicks they make a world of difference.
Well ran 8 crew trucks out in the patch, real crappy environment, first three years of pure hell with flats, juggling crews to get into serviceable trucks etc and then we switch over to duratracks well six years and not a single flat nor issue at all...tried, tested and true in all crappy conditions. Just saying.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Well ran 8 crew trucks out in the patch, real crappy environment, first three years of pure hell with flats, juggling crews to get into serviceable trucks etc and then we switch over to duratracks well six years and not a single flat nor issue at all...tried, tested and true in all crappy conditions. Just saying.
I believe they may be the ideal compromise for mud/snow/gravel oil field work but far from the best overall for everyone. The reviews from everyday folks speak of excessive road noise and excessive fuel consumption.

You are right that oilfield work can chew right through some soft winter tires especially if the side walls are soft. For everyone else they provide a better ride and better cold weather traction.

90% of my driving for example is high way to and from my hunting and fishing spots. A few MPG add up quickly and unlike an oilfield worker I can choose to not go places if I don't absolutely have too. I save enough on fuel running a less aggressive tire in the summer to pay for the extra cost of a change out to a true winter tire come fall. I also enjoy a smooth quiet ride when cruising in the summer.

What I can't avoid is snow covered high ways or icy streets where traffic is still moving along but there is real danger of a spin out or a need to quickly avoid someone else. Big lug tires that are AT hard like a Duratrac are far from ideal in these situations. A true winter tire like a Hakkapeliitta will blow away a snow rated AT on the high way or around town where many of us live.

Having said all that, I have snow rated Nokian Rotiiva ATs on my truck right now and I can't get over how good these are. They are reasonable quiet, extremely reasonably priced, excellent in mud and much better than expected in snow and ice. They are not as sticky as my Hakkapeliitta but very close. They blow away Michelin LTX AT and the Bridgestone ATs I have run before.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

I have Wrangler All terrains that came with my truck.

http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/w...75807957200000

Truck seems sure footed enough.

It has the mountain snowflake symbol.

I've been watching this thread and I like those Nokians
Old 11-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Please explain....my perspective is if you have a so called great winter tire and then stud them now you got a better all around tire for grip on ice etc...
It's already been answered. But basically the compound, lack of sipes.. duratrac is not a proper winter tire.. it may work decent in deep snow, but that is only because of the voids.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Winters

Looks like Nokians have the biggest hit and next to that is the Blizzaks but I still don’t hear much about those Hercules tires. Hmmm that might be a review in itself. Lol.
Not sure yet what I’m getting but I will update you guys and give my two cents after some KMs.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:09 AM

Default Tires

I’ve been running studded Hakks on my 3500 GMC for about 7 years. Changed over from studded Arctic Claws. They’re a bit more money, but offer far better traction on ice/compact.
CranePete
Old 11-05-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I don’t judge a tire on how many flats I get, I judge it on does it stop me before smashing into the guy in front, ride, noise, handling, longevity, impact on fuel economy. Most tire shops these days will repair flats free of charge if you buy from them so no worries there.

Numbers of plys have a significant impact on durability and flats. For a truck running in the patch or running gravel roads daily something “beefy” makes total sense. Running a soft winter 4ply tire would not in this situation.

For the average joe running city, highway, ice fishing on weekends, driving the the big black dodge down a cut-line once in a while road hunting....much better rubber choices than Duratracks in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
It's already been answered. But basically the compound, lack of sipes.. duratrac is not a proper winter tire.. it may work decent in deep snow, but that is only because of the voids.
Stud'em and the ice is no issue...one tire to run all year...no farting around taking tires on/off, making appointments for flat repairs, storing the other tires etc
As for noise, a slight increase, as for wear 90k,did not even notice an increase on gas as the tires where exact same size they replaced, no increase in size etc...

Old 11-05-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Stud'em and the ice is no issue...one tire to run all year...no farting around taking tires on/off, making appointments for flat repairs, storing the other tires etc
As for noise, a slight increase, as for wear 90k,did not even notice an increase on gas as the tires where exact same size they replaced, no increase in size etc...
You continue doing what you want.. I prefer to have the best tool for the job (the duratrac is NOT it), my family's safety is my #1 priority.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You continue doing what you want.. I prefer to have the best tool for the job (the duratrac is NOT it), my family's safety is my #1 priority.
I would hope so, anything less would be selfish.

As for tires I guess in a nut shell there is no true perfect tire because our road conditions change daily,weekly, monthly throughout the year.