Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Powerweld at Princess auto flux core mig wire

So in P Auto they sell a Powerweld brand name spool that comes in 0.30". This is about $20 cheaper than the Hobart name wire of roughly the same weight. Is this stuff any good or have you used it?

I dont want to fool around with gas as i use it outside and we dont have calm days anymore.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 PM

No. Do not use it even if it's free. Hobart flux core wire is OK but Lincoln flux wire is better.
P.A. wire is horrible and will only lead to frustration.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
No. Do not use it even if it's free. Hobart flux core wire is OK but Lincoln flux wire is better.
P.A. wire is horrible and will only lead to frustration.
Agreed! PA wire is garbage.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Saw a comparison done with the harbour freight (American version of PA?) verses the Lincon wire. Based on that and my own experience with the off brand stuff its ok for gob welding **** together that doesn't matter to much and that's about it. Lincon wire is worth the extra money if you care about what you are building
Old 06-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Did some mig with flux core & REALLY disliked it.

Switched to gas & will never go back.

Outside I use stick......unless it's thin, then use shields or wait for calm days.

FYI..... I have a 10lb spool of flux core you can have, if you are ever by Westlock......
Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Lincoln wire all the way. That goes for mig wire, and aluminum wire also. Canadian tire sells it so easy to find. When using the self shield flux wire remember to switch to straight polarity (ground clamp positive).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Did some mig with flux core & REALLY disliked it.

Switched to gas & will never go back.

Outside I use stick......unless it's thin, then use shields or wait for calm days.

FYI..... I have a 10lb spool of flux core you can have, if you are ever by Westlock......
I've got 5 welders. 2 MIG, a flux core wire welder, a small 70 amp stick welder and a 300 lb Forney buzz box.
I use the flux core wire welder all the time for tacking things or quick sticking things together.
I need to thin the herd and get me one of those multi task machines that do MIG, TIG, stick and plasma cut...
Old 08-18-2017, 08:01 AM

I am looking to buy a welder of some sort for small jobs around the acreage? Are those cheap 120 mig welders under 500 bucks any good for just doing some light repairs that don't need to be pretty? Any recommendations would be helpful please.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
I am looking to buy a welder of some sort for small jobs around the acreage? Are those cheap 120 mig welders under 500 bucks any good for just doing some light repairs that don't need to be pretty? Any recommendations would be helpful please.
I bought one for that reason. Don't. Can't get parts for mine. Found this out after
Internet parts hunting isn't fun.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 AM

OK thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Lincoln 140
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM

What are everyone's thoughts on the Lincoln SP125 Plus?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
OK thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Lincoln 140
From what I understand, the 140 is actually Lincoln while the 120 is branded as Lincoln. I bought the 120 and haven't had any issues with it over 5 years, wish I'd purchased the 140 though as the 120 and MIG kit cost more than the 140.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM

So i finally used up the 10 lb Hobart flux core wire that was in my machine. I had bought the Lincoln FCwire back when i posted as it was in waiting to be used till now and was quite impressed with it. The wire sizzled like frying bacon like its supposed to. Not popping like popcorn. I like it better than the Hobart wire and was cheaper.

I may have got lucky with what i was welding but dont think so.

Thanks again for your guys' comments.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 PM

I'd get the the Lincoln 180 if you're looking. Or look at one of the Linde machines. Go to an actual Linde store.

Blue demon makes a really nice wire. I like it a bit better than the Lincoln.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

I recommend some lubematic wire lubercant and wire cleaner along with the lube pads for your wire. It will aid in feeding the wire more smoothly. A good solid ground is also often over looked and more often than not the less expensive machines run a crappy ground clamp. Symptoms of a bad ground are a hot ground clamp followed by popping and spuddering. A guy can clean the surface of the clamp too with a wire brush. If you find the new ground clamp still doesn’t help cut a good four inches off the ground cable, usually burnt and reattach the clamp. 😁
Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 PM

Can you guys recommend a decent welder for the money that will be good for aluminum welding?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

How much welding are you doing? What type of aluminum? Thick or thin gauge. If you are doing a lot of welding a push pull setup is the way to go. If just odds and ends you'll be better off buying a spool gun. Do you want the ability to have pulse control?
Old 10-31-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Can you guys recommend a decent welder for the money that will be good for aluminum welding?

Mig or tig? If tig take a look a the Lincoln 200 tig/stick welder. I bought one and it’s been great! It’s one of the nicest ac tig welders I used. I like it better then the big $10000 plus miller welders we have at work

Old 10-31-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you get tig or mig if you could only have one of the two?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:40 AM
Banned

Tig for sure but like I said it depends on what you're welding. If I was building a boat or trailers and need high production I would go mig. Everything else I would do tig. It also depends on your skill level. Have you ever done tig before? Or is running a caulking gun more you're speed?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:46 AM
Banned

Oh also do you need it to be portable or is a plug in welder ok?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Tig for sure but like I said it depends on what you're welding. If I was building a boat or trailers and need high production I would go mig. Everything else I would do tig. It also depends on your skill level. Have you ever done tig before? Or is running a caulking gun more you're speed?
No experience. I will be taking a welding course at Nait and want to ultimately make a sled deck, bumper, metal art and transom repair. I don’t think I would need portable except to haul out from my garage to driveway.
Thanks for the help
Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
No experience. I will be taking a welding course at Nait and want to ultimately make a sled deck, bumper, metal art and transom repair. I don’t think I would need portable except to haul out from my garage to driveway.
Thanks for the help
I have never seen flux core aluminum welding wire, but to be honest ive never looked for it, I use argon gas when I do it. I use a miller 210 with a miller 100 gun. the wire is too soft to push up the normal feed and you will need to buy a gun that holds the spool in the gun and your welder will need to be set up for that gun. the gas does not like the wind.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the help
Start with a mug machine then. You'll need a separate spool gun as I mentioned earlier for aluminum. Pretty much any Lincoln or Miller info your price range with the features you need will do what you want. I would start out with mild steel you develop hand skills before moving on to aluminum. The biggest thing with welding aluminium is your prep work. It needs to be spotless. No dust, no paint, no oil and sufficient gas flow.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:59 AM

Have a look at the Linde line of welders, or ESAB.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 AM

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned

Oh also don't be afraid to buy an old machine either especially plug in ones. Just be sure to test it first and make sure all functions work as they should. If you can't test it don't buy it. Lots of used machines out there at a good price.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I have never seen flux core aluminum welding wire, but to be honest ive never looked for it, I use argon gas when I do it. I use a miller 210 with a miller 100 gun. the wire is too soft to push up the normal feed and you will need to buy a gun that holds the spool in the gun and your welder will need to be set up for that gun. the gas does not like the wind.

No such thing as flux cored aluminum wire. And there shouldn’t be suck thing as stick aluminum rods! You need argon to weld aluminum. I have the same Hobart mig welder as you with the spool gun and it works really nice also!