Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM

Default 2006 Suzuki King Quad 700 Question

Was looking a zuki 700 a guy had for sale. Did not like black, but the price was OK. Did not like Rad Locate or all the snorkels, but the price was OK.
Guy had a battery tender on it, but that's common when bikes sit...

Then he fires it up, it runs a bit, I checked the stator output with a multi meter, and he hits the 4 x 4 button, AND IT STOPS DEAD??? We try it again, and after a few cycles, IT STOPS DEAD???

I know that there is an issue with the ECM on the first few years that keeps the speedo display powered, and it kills batteries in a matter of a week. The ECM change out once was a recall item, now its just a $400 fix. But the fact that a fully charged battery could not keep power going when the 4 x 4 lock up servo engaged was a head scratcher.

I thought I needed a $1,000 discount to make sure the fix did not get out of hand, and maybe I was lucky to walk away.

Any thoughts on what has bewitched this Quad? The 06 still has a pull start, which is nice on an EFI machine, but who wants to be pull starting a 700???

Drewski
Old 10-30-2017, 09:43 PM

Can't help you too much, but yes the King quads definitely had battery drain issues, even after the update. They are better, but not perfect. Mine may not be the best example as I put so few miles on it, so that may be a part of the problem. Last battery went a year and a half, and it barely got used. I think I'll put a disconnect on the battery.

Mine is an 07 and has the pull start. I've used it and it's worked, but I'll tell you it's a bit of a hog to pull over. Maybe I'm just getting too old

Other wise an awesome quad that runs, and rides great, although mines pretty much stock. I'm not a big fan of buying modded gear set up to run hard, and deep in the mud. If it's a smoking deal ok, but otherwise I much prefer stock, and no booger pickers dickin around with factory design.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 PM

Is there an atv out there that doesn't have a battery drain issue?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 PM

any chance that the battery terminal connections could be loose on it? I have seen that in the past with a poor connection at one of the battery terminals.
when A higher amp draw is added, that causes everything to shut down due to the voltage dropping at the end devices.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Default New Battery!!

No, the bike had a new battery. I took my multi meter to test the stator output so I did look at the battery.

I am looking to go EFI, but I have seen the fun of a dead battery on an EFI machine. My brother's 07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 had the Stator fry, the battery go dead, and the bike stop dead after a few hours of driving.

No power, no fuel pump, no go.

That is why a rope start backup, no matter how hard to pull over, is intriguing. Arctic Cat made a rope start EFI sled, with electric start as well. When you pull the sled over, it charges a Capacitor, that give the initial power for the fuel injector pump. Once running, the stator takes over and it keeps running. The system is not used any more, and for the life of me, I cannot understand why not.

Something as simple as the key left on when the kill switch is used to shut the machine down, and having heated grips left on, will kill the battery pretty quick. Then what do you do.

Drewski
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 AM

I carry a NOCO 1000 AMP something like this in my EFI quad. Never needed it but will start the quad no problem and is small enough it takes up no room at all.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...1906p.html#srp
Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I carry a NOCO 1000 AMP something like this in my EFI quad. Never needed it but will start the quad no problem and is small enough it takes up no room at all.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...1906p.html#srp
I like. Will pick one up for the quad box when I get back into a atv.