Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Default Anyone like the NOKIAN TYRES HAKKAPELIITTA 9 SUV STUDDED

https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...raitingReviews

Curious to see what folks think. I need a new set.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 PM

We just put a set of them on my son's 2009 Toyota Venza, to replace the Hak 4s I put on for winter when I bought it new. Haven't had a chance to test them on snow or ice, as it warmed right up here after we put them on. I expect them to be fantastic though, we have had Haks on 8 different vehicles since 2009 (still use them on 6 that we have as family), versions 4 thru 9. All purchased through Kal coincidentally.

The one thing I can say is, on dry pavement they are LOUD! When my son rolls in to the 'hood, sounds like he is chewing up pavement. Once it's snow and ice though I'm sure we will be happy with them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-29-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Had studded Hak#5 on 09 Subaru. Drove ice roads, Near Maxhamish lake (Fort liard, NWT). Studded tire like cheating on a calculus exam. Fantastic gripping tire. A little noisy with studs. (80K on them now), good for another 20k.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:28 PM

I have the Hakka 9's on three of our vehicles. Put them on several weeks back.
We have had no snow to speak of to test their traction but given how incredibly soft the rubber compound seems to be I have no doubt they will provide great grip.
They are known to be noisy but I dont have an issue with that.
I am concerned about how long I will get out of them in terms of life span given the soft nature of the rubber.
I definitely will be quick to change them over once spring comes as driving in the shoulder season when temps can spike to 10-12 degrees on some days probably won't help their longevity.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:33 PM

Even though it is a soft rubber compound, they wear surprisingly good. We have two sets with +80K km on them, and will get a last season on them. We put them on usually end of October, take them off early April depending on actual conditions. Usually a month a year ends up being warm weather driving, but I like to keep them on for those late spring storms.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Banned

I’ve been researching the advantage to studded tires and it seems the only real advantage is on ice. They don’t stop as fast on wet or dry pavement and slip out a bit when cornering dry. Chewing up the garage floor and drive way was the other disadvantage. I didn’t get Nokians but I’m studded this winter😁
Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 PM

Deadly
Old 10-29-2017, 09:55 PM

These are great winter tires, even without studs.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:00 PM

I've had a set of Hak LT2s for one season. Best snows ever, like velcro. No studs, as snow mostly doesn't build up on pavement here; it just makes a nice thin ice polish from traffic driving over it. On thick hard-packed, iced-over snow I'd get studs.

Great thru the drifts too. Haven't had a chance to use my chains for awhile.

No info on the Hak 9's .
Old 10-29-2017, 10:58 PM

Smile Hakka 7

Studded....for my driving pleasure lol bought the Hakka 7 for my subey in 2010. Just changed them over and the wear indicator is at 6...put about 10000km per season. That car is a godamn snowmobile so much fun when applicable. Best control winter tires on the market IMO.

**edit I bought the tires in 2010
Old 10-30-2017, 04:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Yup, love mine, third winter coming up for them, I was going to get new ones but these still have over 60% left. Next fall I`ll get another set and use these for summer. I plow snow in winter in town and have driven through a foot of wet crap to get to work, no problems. No studs either.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 AM

You guys should try the Nokian Entyre 2.0 as your summer tires. They are quiet and roll more efficiently than the true summer Michelins I was running. The wet road handling is very impressive and as an all season you don't need to panic putting on the winters too early or switching too late in spring.

I love the Nokian Hakkapeliitta but cant remember which number I have. In a front wheel drive car they remove all stress out of winter driving. I can get special deals on Michelin X-Ice and Bridgestone Blizzack but prefer to pay full pop for the Nokian.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 AM

Best winter tires money can buy imho. I've had 3 or 4 sets now. Other than the fact that Kaltire ****ed me off and I won't do business with them anymore, these would be on every vehicle in my driveway.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:49 AM

There won't be any reviews for a couple months, as they are a new model.

Supposedly the only difference between the 8's & 9's is that they are using multiple types of studs to "quiet them down".

Being that they are hakkas.. They'll be great. I've got brand new 8's on my forester. Can't wait to hit up ghost lake..
Old 10-30-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Had them on my Explorer. It's when I finally admitted winter tires are better than all seasons Great tire, studs would be like 4x4. Looking to put a set on my Sedan, first winter in a long time without a SUV.