Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Default to all you reloaders

Could one of you fine gentlemen direct a guy to a reliable site on line that might give a guy a few new recipes to try in a rifle or two or should i just go and buy a new book? thank you for any info.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM

What are you loading for.I am in Grande prairie I have some manuals you can check out if you want.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM

Try www.reloadersnest.com and www.nosler.com
Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 PM

handloads.com is also a respectable site just a reminder that these site have no liability always compare the maximum loads with a reliable manual.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

I like reloadersnest as well. Good forum there too; always willing to help out.

Post some of the guns your trying to load for and see what the Alberta Outdoorsmen crew have up their sleeves.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Default book

I'd suggest spending the money and buying a book. Hours spent poring over the ballistics charts can be very instructive. Plus, there's great info on all calibers. Additionally while most sites I've visited show loads for a couple powders, a book will show the same wt lead with maybe 8 or 10 powders. I've found different rifles shoot better with different powders/loads, even rifles of the same caliber, go figure.
I know they're ridiculously overpriced. My personal favorite is a hornady book from the 50's. I've also a speer and a sierra. One I paid big bucks for, the other 2 cost a couple bucks on ebay. Obviously the older one's won't have the newer calibers, or bullet mfgr's, but loads can be checked against their site for comparison.
Reloading's a nice hobby, and it's surprising how different loads/powders/bullet's really are.
Have fun.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 PM

Default reloading

thanks for the info guys and thanks for the offer lorne pm me and if your not busy this weekend I'll give you a call . i'm looking for something new in 270, 308, 3006, and 300win i currently have a speer , old winchester, hornady and a hodgdon manuals , maybe i'll get a sierra. again thanks guys
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 PM

Most powder manufacturers have an online manual.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Hodgdon's site is really good for recipes. Lots of other companies seem to limit the info they give out (ie Barnes). But Hogdon lists a tonne.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Reloading Data

http://www.realguns.com/

I've used the data on this site to develop a couple loads for my 7mm RM. I found it to be the very reliable for predicting accuracy and velocity. I just had to work out the optimum seating depth and everything came together.

For the guns you're interested in it only has data for the 270 win. Not everything you're looking for but a place to start.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 PM

I would not recommend using any of the load data quoted on reloadersnest. A lot of the loads quoted are way over safe pressures.

If you want good and safe info go to one of the powder or bullet manufacturers sites.

Or go here: www.accuratereloading.com IMO, this is the best forum on the net.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I would not recommend using any of the load data quoted on reloadersnest. A lot of the loads quoted are way over safe pressures.

If you want good and safe info go to one of the powder or bullet manufacturers sites.

Or go here: www.accuratereloading.com IMO, this is the best forum on the net.
I've used several loads off of reloadersnest for several diffeant rifles with no pressure issues. Like any source whether it be noslers reloading manual or an internet site you start low and work up.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
I've used several loads off of reloadersnest for several diffeant rifles with no pressure issues. Like any source whether it be noslers reloading manual or an internet site you start low and work up.
Of course you start low and work up - if you are an experienced reloader or a newby being guided by someone who knows how to read pressure signs or measure case head expansion properly.

What I am trying to say is that any beginner who looks on reloadersnest and takes one of the loads as gospel and tries it may end up with a serious injury or worse.

There are loads listed on that site that are 3-4 grains over any book maximum or any load I have ever heard of anyone using. IMO that is treading in the danger zone just to get a few extra fps of velocity.

Also, every rifle is an individual and what is a safe load in your rifle using your reloading components may be over pressure in another rifle.

Speed impresses friends and forums, accuracy kills.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Best place I've used

http://stevespages.com/page8.htm
Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM

FYI, Barnes is issuing a new manual in 2008.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ding-manual-4/
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 AM

You can send a request for a free reloading manual from both IMR and Hodgdon right on their websites. I got both this spring. The manuals showed up about a week after I emailed in my request.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM

Hodgdon has lots of data on thiere site

www.hodgdon.com
Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Reliable Loads

Grease Monkey,

My suggestion:
Spend the money and buy the most recent "Sierra" reloading book. They give the most accurate load, and best hunting load for all of the bullets they produce. The amount of time and expense they go to to find the Best Hunting and Most Accurate load, far surpass anything I ever plan to do!

* Go with either the most accurate or hunting load suggested.
* Identify where the bullet you plan to use, touches the lands in the particular rifle you will use it in.
* Load 18 primed cases with identical powder charge (using either the most accurate load or hunting load, suggested in the manual) DO NOT seat bullets yet.
* With 18 Identical bullets suggested for the load you plan to use: Seat 3 bullets just touching the lands of your rifle, 3 bullets .05 ths off the lands, 3 bullets .10 ths off the lands, 3 bullets .15 ths off the lands, 3 bullets .20 ths off the lands, and finally 3 bullets at .25 ths off the lands.
* Shoot 3 shot groups, with a specific seating depth, at a target identifying the specific seating depth. From a proper benchrest at 100 yards with as minimal wind as possible.
Im quite certain you will find a "Sweet Spot" or seating depth that your rifle likes.
* Done

Or the alternative, spend a bunch of money and time. Use different powders, bullets, and seating depths. Listen to every tom dick and harry about the incredible load they have developed. Shoot several hundred rounds through your rifle looking for that one great recipe. This way besides wasting a bunch of money and time, you can also work on burning out your barrel in the process

I know there will be some controversy with this. My point is Sierra, has won more comeptitions, supplies more bullets, and does more research and development than any other bullet manufacture that I am personally aware of. The research and development they do, far exceed's what your typical individual will ever do in a lifetime!

In saying this, the only difference to my belief is: Bullet manufactures and powder companies have greatly reduced load capacity and overall case pressure in regards to liability. So I do believe you can find a hotter load than they suggest that shoots accurately or more accurate in your rifle.

Last edited by Mike Rae; 10-19-2007 at 10:43 AM.