Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 AM

Default Edmonton City Chief of Police makes accusions against law abiding gun owners.

Was perusing MSN Sympatico this morning and saw this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...e3b?li=AAggNb9

I dislike very much that the Edmonton city police chief is alleging that law abiding, legal gun owners are selling newly banned firearms to criminals.

This is his opinion and he offers no proof of any such illegal transactions. He shouldn't be allowed to spout crap like this without proof as it's very damaging to all law abiding gun owners.

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Time to start writing the Mayors, your MLAs and MPs everyone, unfortunately this is how a lot of police chiefs and elites are going to spin the crime problem and in fairness that likely is happening to some degree.

At the same time police departments (read the carpet-cops wearing out their office chairs, not the line officers) are going to push for the low hanging fruit. Easier investigations, less overtime, better stats, than going after real criminals, makes them look better.

Start putting heat on the actual decision makers at the political level, until then nothing has any hope of changing. Demand they push the courts to stop releasing maggots and impose real sentences. Demand they support the police and punish criminals not law abiding citizens. Push Lorne Gunter and other columnists to write about the failures of the courts and government generally.

As firearms owners we whine and moan but how many actually 'do something'? Even writing or calling your MLA and MP?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:09 AM
Suspended User

He's not saying law abiding gun owners. He's saying pieces of crap gun owners are selling their guns to pieces of street crap Like poachers are different than hunters
Old 11-20-2020, 09:14 AM

Every now and then cities go through a "drug war" for turf or goods. Sounds like this is happening again. This would be the 3rd time I can recall such a rash of shootings here. And once again, the drug trade and the scum who deal in it are mentioned but the blame goes to the easy target instead of actually trying to do something about the drugs gangs.

Do we really think the gun enthusiasts are filing off the serial numbers and selling off their prized black guns to drug gangs? That's a stretch Mcphee.

I did like this new police chief, seemed like a straight to the point guy. I really liked how he called a spade a spade with all these homeless camps ole Donny couldn't control, saying that crime in the surrounding areas goes up over 100 % but his comments on this have me shaking my head.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:30 AM

A mandatory 15 year sentence for anyone partaking in crime with a firearm would clear up this problem in short order.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
He's not saying law abiding gun owners. He's saying pieces of crap gun owners are selling their guns to pieces of street crap Like poachers are different than hunters
Yes, exactly what he is saying...straw firearms sales is increasing in Canada
https://www.cbc.ca/news/national-gun...arms-1.5126228
If law abiding firearms owners want to keep their firearms rights they should be supporting all initiatives to get all guns out of the hands of criminals.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
What the Deputy Chief said was, that they have evidence that people are stuck with newly prohibited firearms and that there is no buy-back money. No wizardry there.
He followed that up with the fact that he believes that they are being sold to gangs for profit.
Basically he's saying "I know nothing and am speaking to hear my own voice".

Deputy police chief Kevin Brezinski made a presentation to the commission on efforts the service is taking to tackle gun crime Thursday afternoon. When asked by a commissioner whether there might be more illicit long guns on Edmonton’s streets as a result of the federal government’s ban on more than 1,500 assault-style firearm models and variants, Brezinksi said there is evidence to suggest so.

“We have noticed that with some intelligence that we do have is that … when they went from restricted to prohibited there is a proposed buyback program that has not been initiated by the federal government, so people are stuck with these firearms,” Brezinski said.

“And I think what we’re seeing is that some of these firearms are being sold to the criminal element and they are making a profit through these firearms. So certainly that’s a concern.”

The Chief has said nothing.
Be careful where you point your pitchforks gents.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
“We have noticed that with some intelligence that we do have is that … when they went from restricted to prohibited there is a proposed buyback program that has not been initiated by the federal government, so people are stuck with these firearms,” Brezinski said.

“And I think what we’re seeing is that some of these firearms are being sold to the criminal element and they are making a profit through these firearms. So certainly that’s a concern.”
Focusing on the red section of the quote from the article.
How would someone sell a firearm that was formerly restricted ( and now prohibited ) ?
I would think that there is going to be some sort of process to account for all of these guns that our gov't has banned. I don't think that telling them 'it fell out of my boat' is gonna fly.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
If law abiding firearms owners want to keep their firearms rights they should be supporting all initiatives to get all guns out of the hands of criminals.
Not going to lie here, in my opinion you are not an outdoorsmen and have a negative role that you play here on this forum.
I am only basing that on the posts that you make, so don't mind me for being extremely suspect when I read a line like what I have bolded.

What exactly are you ok with when you say "all initiatives"?
Old 11-20-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Well guess what, according to our government, banning firearms is an initiative to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. And the way rhe RCMP keep adding firearms to the banned list, they are doing their part to support this initiative.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
We'll, I must be feeling better Bob, as once again I'm disagreeing with you.

Would banning all firearms help get guns out of the hands of criminals? Should I jump on board?

I'd personally leave the guns out of it, they are inanimate objects after all. Lets start going after the people that use them in a crime, mandatory sentences when not used in self defense would be a nice start.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
Time to start writing the Mayors, your MLAs and MPs everyone, unfortunately this is how a lot of police chiefs and elites are going to spin the crime problem and in fairness that likely is happening to some degree.

At the same time police departments (read the carpet-cops wearing out their office chairs, not the line officers) are going to push for the low hanging fruit. Easier investigations, less overtime, better stats, than going after real criminals, makes them look better.

Start putting heat on the actual decision makers at the political level, until then nothing has any hope of changing. Demand they push the courts to stop releasing maggots and impose real sentences. Demand they support the police and punish criminals not law abiding citizens. Push Lorne Gunter and other columnists to write about the failures of the courts and government generally.

As firearms owners we whine and moan but how many actually 'do something'? Even writing or calling your MLA and MP?
That’s what elections are for and there still enough gullible people to vote for these people. From mayors all the way up to the Turd
Old 11-20-2020, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Not going to lie here, in my opinion you are not an outdoorsmen
That’s been obvious for a long time...
Old 11-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not going to lie here, in my opinion you are not an outdoorsmen and have a negative role that you play here on this forum.
I am only basing that on the posts that you make, so don't mind me for being extremely suspect when I read a line like what I have bolded.

Good grief, how idiotic. So you are saying we as the gun community should have no issue with someone 'legally' purchasing a firearm to then turn around and sell it to...say a gang member because what...we all have right to do own firearms?
Didn't realize that to be an 'outdoorsman' you need to support criminal activity.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Is there any initiatives to really get guns out of the hands of criminals? All I see is a focus on getting the guns out of legal gun owners hands.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:23 PM

Wrong quote, I was responding to the one you responded to
Old 11-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Is there any initiatives to really get guns out of the hands of criminals? All I see is a focus on getting the guns out of legal gun owners hands.

You know, all it take to make a law abiding gun owner a criminal, is some idiot in Ottawa getting a few e mails from Torontonians and there are no limits to that, it will continue until we're totally disarmed. A lot of us have been made that way by administrative action, that's the way it's done in dictatorships.

Grizz
Old 11-20-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Exactly!
Old 11-20-2020, 12:37 PM

You sell a gun

The buyer resells it

How in hell are you responsible for what happens?

Its like suing Ruger for making the mini14.

Sue God for making rocks and Taliban then
Old 11-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
A mandatory 15 year sentence for anyone partaking in crime with a firearm would clear up this problem in short order.
This has been my thought for a long time. I would include the following on top of the 15 year sentence:
- Sentence to be served fully, no time off for good behavior or time served. You serve every second of the 15 years
- To be served BEFORE any other sentences received for the crime you committed.

Simple, straightforward and does not affect us law abiding gun owners.......only affects criminals who use a firearm in the commission of a crime.

But, that's logical and makes sense and we all know how the liberals feel about logic and sense.

One thing I do disagree with though is it won't actually clear up the problem. While it would effectively stop some criminals, it wouldn't stop all of them. Death penaties have proven that some people, when they decide to commit a crime, will not be deterred by any punishment. The same has to be true for non-murder gun crimes.

The good news is, a sentence like that would certainly make the criminal, and not us, pay for the crime.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-20-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
This has been my thought for a long time. I would include the following on top of the 15 year sentence:
- Sentence to be served fully, no time off for good behavior or time served. You serve every second of the 15 years
- To be served BEFORE any other sentences received for the crime you committed.

Simple, straightforward and does not affect us law abiding gun owners.......only affects criminals who use a firearm in the commission of a crime.

But, that's logical and makes sense and we all know how the liberals feel about logic and sense.

One thing I do disagree with though is it won't actually clear up the problem. While it would effectively stop some criminals, it wouldn't stop all of them. Death penaties have proven that some people, when they decide to commit a crime, will not be deterred by any punishment. The same has to be true for non-murder gun crimes.

The good news is, a sentence like that would certainly make the criminal, and not us, pay for the crime.
Actually there were mandatory sentences for using a firearm while committing a crime, but the liberal courts struck them down. Death sentences do actually reduce crime somewhat, as dead people can't reoffend, which most criminals do.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Good grief, how idiotic. So you are saying we as the gun community should have no issue with someone 'legally' purchasing a firearm to then turn around and sell it to...say a gang member because what...we all have right to do own firearms?
Didn't realize that to be an 'outdoorsman' you need to support criminal activity.
If that's what you got out of my statement then you need to read it a few more times.

If someone sells something illegally, it is.....wait for it........illegal.

Now that I've cleared that up for you I'll ask again, what exactly are you ok with when you say "all initiatives"?

And as for your last sentence, how idiotic.

See what I did there?
Old 11-20-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Correct.
All politicians come out swinging and saying they are going to be "tough on criminals". Such a joke.
Our LEO's get to be tough on criminals. It's the politician's job to make laws and policies that keep criminals where they need to be.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
That’s my take on it.
However the scale may be minor. May be more being obtained through theft. (I imagine another problem with the rise in rural crime is an access to more guns to steal.)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:11 PM

And carding is now banned in Alberta, so that's going to make things even worse. Look how bad Toronto has gotten since TAVIS got shut down. Apparently it's racist to card people.....

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-policing-tool

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-20-2020, 02:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Was perusing MSN Sympatico this morning and saw this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...e3b?li=AAggNb9

I dislike very much that the Edmonton city police chief is alleging that law abiding, legal gun owners are selling newly banned firearms to criminals.

This is his opinion and he offers no proof of any such illegal transactions. He shouldn't be allowed to spout crap like this without proof as it's very damaging to all law abiding gun owners.

I just read the article and did not see that wording at all....

if your selling these to criminals then you are far from a legal, law abiding gun owner as you just became a criminal....

this will all play out in time....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2020, 04:24 PM

Bottom line is that more guns are getting into criminal hands and they are using them.

I have no idea how they’ll ever reverse this trend.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Bottom line is that more guns are getting into criminal hands and they are using them.

I have no idea how they’ll ever reverse this trend.
Have you ever noticed that most media releases for armed criminals that are arrested state that the criminals that were arrested had lengthy records, and already had firearms prohibitions? How about the courts implement meaningful sentences? If a criminal is in prison, he won't be out committing crimes with a firearm. And if convicted murderers are executed, they definitely won't reoffend. Our toothless legal system, and soft hearted judges, are a huge part of the problem.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly!

Yup. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on getting guns out of the average persons hands while gangs are shooting people like crazy the last while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-20-2020, 04:46 PM

Since there is registration for Restricted firearms, the police can undoubtedly trace the original owner of firearms sized from crime.
Show some proof of this happening.
I call his statement of the cuff BS.
Non-restricted changed to Prohib is a whole other level difficulty in tracking.