Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2015, 02:37 PM

Default For those who transport their quads with a trailer, which trailer do you recommend?

I will be transporting only 1 quad and generally in dry conditions.

Bobby

Old 12-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I will be transporting only 1 quad and generally in dry conditions.

Bobby
Something with full size tires. I use an aluminum Triton tilt deck.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Default I only paid $800 for it in 1992

I have a snow cat 4x8 from Homedepot with removable sides I built my self.
I haul my 550 Artic cat without sides its easier to get on on and off for garbage or other hauling a I put the wooden sides on.
I drive the quad on, tie down the rear end then hook my winch cable to the trailer bed and suck it down some, tie down the front end down,relax the winch makes for a very solid tie-down and only takes a few minuets. slide my ramp under the quad and tie with the chains.
It has a fold down front that gives another 2' of deck on front and 12" tires I replace every 3 years just because I hate flat tires although I have never had one on this trailer. Its small and easy to move doesn't take up much storage room, the deck is only 18" off the ground making loading a moose really easy just unhook the truck, block the wheels hook the sling on the truck hitch and slide your critter up on the trailer much easier than "throwing" in the back of a truck.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 PM

Hi Bobby
Check stronghaul.ca.They are all aluminum, Canadian made.in Manitoba.If you want to see on I got one here 5x10 3500#.
Rod
Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 PM

get one big enough for 2
Old 12-23-2015, 01:08 AM

I have an aluma 8112 and got it for $2300 new. Worth the drive to get it out of the city, they wanted $3100 in Calgary. Some of the aluminum trailers have wood decks, I'd stick with all aluminum. The aluma has side rails that double as ramps, you can buy an extra one for $75 to close up the back. You can haul two quads with a trailer like this or one side by side and some gear. Getting a trailer a bit bigger so you can haul two quads or extra gear, etc is the way to go and the extra cost is not much ...
Old 12-23-2015, 01:35 AM
Banned

X2 on the full sized wheels.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Banned

I picked up this trailer from for my sled, hauling and goose hunting, but it would work for any ATV. I liked the sides, larger tires and full ramp on the back. I put plywood on the front and sides to cut down on the mud. Pretty happy with it so far, the only thing not the greatest on it was the paint. I steel brushed it off and primed and repainted it with the rubber/box liner paint. Picked it up at Onoway Custom Trailers, they had the best price for what I was looking for.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:15 AM

I have a Stronghaul 16' deck with a folding ramp tailgate and removable sides that allow drive on/drive off crossways loading for the front. Tandem #3500 axles. I can fit 4 quads on it crossways for hunting, or mine and the kids couple little ones straight on. I also use it for hauling water to my acreage, thus the tandem for weight capacity.

I used to have a big heavy steel flat deck tandem for hauling water and used it for my quads at times. I hated not having sides as we almost lost a quad when the strap popped off without us noticing. Caught it just in time. I would definitely go aluminum and something with sides to help hold things in place. Removable sides are even better.

SS
Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 PM

If you are looking for a utility style trailer with the rear ramp, I would suggest Big Tex. They are leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of other trailers and their price-point is pretty good. They have full size tires, bearing buddies, LED lighting, treated wood, harness shrouds, 3500# axles, jack with base, tie down points, chain storage mounts, robust hitch coupler, decent paint, welds look like welds not chicken crap, rear ramp is removable, spare tire mount included. . . . . I am very impressed with this trailer, especially for the price. I also found FOT.ca in High River well worth the drive as well.

I would also get a hold of PT trailers. They will custom fabricate a trailer for you at a very reasonable rate. When I was pricing them out they could custom build to your dimensions for about 5% more than their regularly produced models. They are also a very good trailer.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:28 PM

I have had several open trailers over the years and two years ago to enclosed. The enclosed option gives dry storage for gear, secure lock up and keeps the travelling road mud etc off the machine. I added a couple of cots to use it for the fall weekend trips away as sleeping quarters. I went single axle and regret not going with dual.