Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 PM

Smile Christmas traditions in your household?

Thought it might be neat to hear about different things we all do when celebrating Christmas.

I'll go first.
Since I was born, we have always celebrated Christmas on the 24th. Once we outgrew the "santa" stuff we no longer do anything on the 25th.
We also don't eat Turkey. We cook up 2 oven baked whole chickens.

What about you?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:33 PM

Christmas supper with the Ukrainskies dishes, should be a good supper
Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 PM

Default Christmas traditions

Perogy's Christmas Eve and off to church for Christmas Eve service and back home to reminisce around the fire place. Christmas Day, eggnog with favorite beverage and a few snacks or resemblance of brekky and then turkey dinner, movies or games after that with turkey buns and favorite beverage and maybe a long snooze. Boxing Day off fishing and then come what may, it's all good with family and friends 😄
Old 12-22-2015, 10:19 PM

Go to Work.......
Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Banned

Default still good

Until my aunt passed away it was always family and more.

It is still good, but no one in the circle could maintain.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 PM

Usual turkey dinner with the family. We take turns every year as to who with. This year it's the in laws.
Christmas eve is my family(wife,daughter) and father in law where we usually spoil ourselves with rib eye steak and seafood.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 PM

My wife and I have a big Christmas dinner every year and invite several close friends and our kids,
During the holidays we make venison pies and pheasant pies .
New Year's Day tradition for sdvc and I is to go throw some clays with sone vintage guns!
Cat
Old 12-22-2015, 11:11 PM

Church with the kids on Christmas Eve.
Open presents when we get home.
Put out a snack for santa and Rudolf (santa likes a bit of rum in his eggnog).
Kids get new PJ's and off to bed so Santa and his helpers can show up.
Kids wake up crazy early, dad goes downstairs to see if santa came
Throw Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in oven while we check out what Santa bought
FaceTime with grandparents to show what the kids got
Throw turkey in over, everything else for dinner is prepped the day before.
Eat too much turkey, drink too much Port, fall asleep on couch with kids watching a movie.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:34 PM

Me and the wife have a contest on who can buy the tackiest Christmas ornament.
Contest is judged by all the guests at Christmas dinner.

Started the year before we were married while buying our first ornaments in the cheapie section and started joking who could find the worst one. Been married 15 years so tree has 30 absolutely terrible ornaments.

Past winners include Gene Simmons in full Kiss reagalia, Santa riding a salmon, Santa riding a ***** fish wearing makeup, A santa with male pattern baldness preying to the baby jesus, Santa driving a tank, an outboard motor that says have a mariner Christmas, a reindeer in Saturday Night Fever disco clothes, real moose poop with googly eyes and angel wings, mr hankey the Christmas poo. Bluto from Animal House that shouts TOGA TOGA TOGA when you push a button.

I have already started shopping for next year. This year I have bigfoot with Christmas lights on him and the wife has a Darrell Dixon Walking Dead one.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 PM

The men do the dishes, bottle of tequila is placed out, if a dish goes into clean area that still has food on it, the washer takes a shot,,if dryer leaves plates still wet,,yup...u win a shot....the younger ladies of the family want in, but no way its the guys only.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-22-2015, 11:44 PM

Typical meals around Christmas Day
But Christmas Eve and Boxing Day was always fire up in the woods, smoked mackerel and hotdogs. Followed by a few boxes of 22 in a friendly game of "Top Gun". Lil sis won it one year. Me and dad were .... Ahem... Well... Haven't lived it down yet...
Old 12-22-2015, 11:58 PM

I spend Christmas eve shopping at 7-11. Yay! Slurpees and beef jerky for everyone.
Christmas day I get chastised for yet again giving everyone Slurpees and beef jerky for the 11th year.
Next year, no one gets beef jerky. They don't appreciate the thought.
Melted goddam slurpees for everyone!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:30 AM

We always go to my parents house for Xmas eve. Exchange gifts between us, my folks and my sister and her husband. Because my sister goes to her Inlaws Xmas day my mother does the turkey dinner Xmas eve. We always end up back home by 10ish if not earlier. 2 years ago we did just that and got up Christmas morning with no gifts left. We were too busy buying gifts the week before so we didn't stock up on groceries, which led us to McDonald's at 11am. Both agreeing Xmas isn't the same as it was and after 10 years of trying and finally actually being told we will never have kids we decided to go south the next year for the holidays.
Then in January we found out we were having a baby. Last Christmas was awesome! The entire family came to our place Xmas eve. Even though the little guy just slept in his swing it breathed new life into it for everyone. Xmas day we flew east to be with my wife's family and it did the same there. 50 plus people piled in her moms house Boxing Day just to be with our little guy. So excited for this year as he can rip open his own presents, he gets really excited when people come to visit, and we are still doing my folks with turkey dinner Xmas eve but a bunch of family are coming over Xmas day to see my son. So to get to the point we are making our own traditions now and figuring things out. I purchased a train set we are going to set up tomorrow night around the tree and I hope to do it with my son every year! So there's one and there are no plans to spend Xmas down south anytime soon lol
Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
We always go to my parents house for Xmas eve. Exchange gifts between us, my folks and my sister and her husband. Because my sister goes to her Inlaws Xmas day my mother does the turkey dinner Xmas eve. We always end up back home by 10ish if not earlier. 2 years ago we did just that and got up Christmas morning with no gifts left. We were too busy buying gifts the week before so we didn't stock up on groceries, which led us to McDonald's at 11am. Both agreeing Xmas isn't the same as it was and after 10 years of trying and finally actually being told we will never have kids we decided to go south the next year for the holidays.
Then in January we found out we were having a baby. Last Christmas was awesome! The entire family came to our place Xmas eve. Even though the little guy just slept in his swing it breathed new life into it for everyone. Xmas day we flew east to be with my wife's family and it did the same there. 50 plus people piled in her moms house Boxing Day just to be with our little guy. So excited for this year as he can rip open his own presents, he gets really excited when people come to visit, and we are still doing my folks with turkey dinner Xmas eve but a bunch of family are coming over Xmas day to see my son. So to get to the point we are making our own traditions now and figuring things out. I purchased a train set we are going to set up tomorrow night around the tree and I hope to do it with my son every year! So there's one and there are no plans to spend Xmas down south anytime soon lol
Old 12-23-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
Me and the wife have a contest on who can buy the tackiest Christmas ornament.
Contest is judged by all the guests at Christmas dinner.

Started the year before we were married while buying our first ornaments in the cheapie section and started joking who could find the worst one. Been married 15 years so tree has 30 absolutely terrible ornaments.

Past winners include Gene Simmons in full Kiss reagalia, Santa riding a salmon, Santa riding a ***** fish wearing makeup, A santa with male pattern baldness preying to the baby jesus, Santa driving a tank, an outboard motor that says have a mariner Christmas, a reindeer in Saturday Night Fever disco clothes, real moose poop with googly eyes and angel wings, mr hankey the Christmas poo. Bluto from Animal House that shouts TOGA TOGA TOGA when you push a button.

I have already started shopping for next year. This year I have bigfoot with Christmas lights on him and the wife has a Darrell Dixon Walking Dead one.
That's awesome. If you need help I have a Paul Sr. riding a chopper with a Santa hat on.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:36 AM

We go looking at lights on the eve and have cabbage rolls and ham for supper. Then big breakfast Xmas morning with the bird going in soon after. Always a platter of homemade sausage with cheese and crackers on the go too.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:00 AM

Christmas eve afternoon at the Hungarian MIL in her 80's making and eating Langos(Hungarian Fry Bread) and some Palinka

Then over to a buddies house who lost his wife to cancer around Xmas a few years ago for a Tiramisu making contest/ party.
Tuff time of year for him so we like to do something lite hearted and fun with him

Last edited by omega50; 12-23-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Christmas eve us when we all get together
and christmas day we have a lobster boil ..

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM

incrediGirl's family all live in the same general area, so we all take turns having Christmas Eve at each other's houses.

Usually we head to church, then a light supper and then the kids get to open the presents from the grandparents, uncles and aunties (if the in-laws aren't at their in-law's).

Christmas Day, our kids open their "Santa" presents (they do the "quote marks" with their fingers when they say "Santa" nowadays) and we have a lazy morning breakfast, and then those of us who aren't at an in-law's place get together for a turkey dinner.

Eventually we roll out of the house and go do some sledding, skating, or a nice walk.
Always enjoyable.