Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2021, 05:15 PM

Default Hunting boots

What do you guys wear for hunting? I normally put on 15km+ A day during hunting season, and my Muck boots are not the most ideal boots. Curious on what everyone uses. I hear Irish settlers are a good boot

Last edited by Bourbon Outdoorsman; 08-24-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:30 PM

Default hunting boots

Lots of great choices out there, if you can find them, and even better, in your size!
Lowa (on about my 4th pair) meindle, hanwag, to name a few. I tend to favor good European boots with leather lining as opposed to goretex. For me personally, goretex is hot and sweaty, and tends to rot about the second year.
I have tried on irish setter, but I find they lace a bit too close to the toes, creating a bit of discomfort while climbing hills.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:29 PM

The best boot is the one that fits you. Kennetrek mountain extreme happens to fit me well, expensive but worth every penny.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:42 PM

It’s ALL about fit and quality
Old 08-24-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The correct answer when it comes to stuff like boots
Old 08-24-2021, 08:59 PM

Irish setters are the best boot I have ever owned. I'm sure there's lots of better boots but I have zero complaints and somewhat easy on the wallet.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The best boot is the one that fits you. Kennetrek mountain extreme happens to fit me well, expensive but worth every penny.
Most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned. Just got them this spring best part was my union paid for them so I got them for free!
Old 08-25-2021, 09:30 PM

Le Chameau is what I have very comfy. Very tough. Had the same pair for 5 years now. They have seen all sorts of action.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Right here
Old 08-26-2021, 06:42 AM

Default Boots

If you have a narrow foot, AKU fits me good.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:50 AM

I’ll swing into cabelas the next time I’m in the city, try a couple different pairs on.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Outdoorsman View Post
I’ll swing into cabelas the next time I’m in the city, try a couple different pairs on.
Check out MEC and campers village too. Cabelas doesn’t come to mind when I think about quality boots. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:00 AM

Another vote here for Irish Setters, I have the Elk Trackers in 1000gr insulation, feels like wearing pillows on your feet but sturdy enough for anything I want to do.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:32 AM

Scarpa has been a treat for my feet while mountain & upland hunting.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:51 AM

I bought a set of Irish Setter elk trackers 10 years ago as my "in between" boot to get me by till I could afford a higher end pair.

I still have them and have not upgraded. They aren't the lightest option out there but when I wear these ones out I will likely just go buy another pair.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I bought a set of Irish Setter elk trackers 10 years ago as my "in between" boot to get me by till I could afford a higher end pair.

I still have them and have not upgraded. They aren't the lightest option out there but when I wear these ones out I will likely just go buy another pair.
You might want to reconsider that idea. Like a lot of other highly respected U.S. manufacturers with a long history of producing a superior product, Red Wing now manufactures those boots in China and relies on their reputation to maintain sales. They are no longer the same boot.

For top quality boots, stick with products manufactured in the U.S. and Europe. Brand name boots from China are substandard at best.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-26-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
You might want to reconsider that idea. Like a lot of other highly respected U.S. manufacturers with a long history of producing a superior product, Red Wing now manufactures those boots in China and relies on their reputation to maintain sales. They are no longer the same boot.

For top quality boots, stick with products manufactured in the U.S. and Europe. Brand name boots from China are substandard at best.
Good to know. My Elk Trackers are still the "old" ones, and like Jamie Black mentioned, they are a bit on the heavy side.

I Will likely be looking for something along the lines of what you are talking about if I find myself doing longer treks in early-season hunting.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 PM

Default Hanwag Alaska GTX

I live in my Hanwags 12-14 hrs. a day - My 5 year old pair are now at 50%. I work in the Arctic and lets just say they see the wicked extremes of the Arctic and haven't missed a beat. I agree with someone else's comment "the best boats are the ones that fit you best" If your anywhere near Edmonton go on in to Track and Trail and get correctly sized.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post

Good to know. I was going to buy another pair of Irish setters because they are warm hunting in November. Mine are probably 10 years old and are starting to leak. I had Hanwags and just found them awful narrow
Old 09-01-2021, 11:06 PM

Hanwags can be narrow - if you need a wider boot check out the Hanwag "Trappers" they are wider and taller. Bomb proof boot too.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:57 AM

Default Wide Hanwags

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1savagehunter View Post
Hanwags can be narrow - if you need a wider boot check out the Hanwag "Trappers" they are wider and taller. Bomb proof boot too.
I will offer another vote for Hanwags also. I have wide foot and most of Hanwags offerings are available in different width lasts to accommodate. Some models for various foot issues available also. A proper sizing of foot is needed to start though. I use both the Tatra GTX and Banks GTX models and have absolutely no negatives to offer on either. If ordering Hanwag on-line be careful of UK sizing VS US/Canadian sizing difference.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:16 AM

Track and trail in Edmonton has hanwags. I’m currently on second set of souls the original did not last long at all. Other than that they have been alright
Old 09-02-2021, 07:18 AM

Hanwag Alaskan GTX for me. Also have a pair of Soloman Quest 4d GTX that are good when not hiking up and down slopes with heavy packs
Old 09-02-2021, 07:35 AM

I bought the salomon x ultra and ordered a wide size
They are super light and have good support
But they have only a gortex lining and my feet were cold in them last spring
They were o.k in the summer but now in the fall my feet are cold in them
It might be because I am a senior with poorer circulation and a young guy might not have this problem but for me I am looking for a warmer boot but not a winter boot.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:47 AM

Hanwags.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:25 PM

I use the irish setter boots and am happy with them as well. General purpose day trips on dry land with the odd puddle and short strips of 6” deep water they do great. Also wear wool socks.

Lots of variables when it comes to usage though and type of terrain and weather. Some guys love the muck boots for wet conditions and hunting with short walks.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:07 AM

I love my hanwag tatra tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2021, 09:24 AM

I did not know Red Wing moved manufacturing to China. That really pees me off. I have been using their boots and shoes for 55 years, now I am going to have to switch. I agree, boots made in Europe of North America are FAR superior to the crap made in China, even the really expensive ones.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:58 AM

Red Wing did not move all manufacturing to China. The Asian made boots are better than most, especially the higher end and are marketed under the Irish Setter brand. I have three pairs made in China. One is a Deer Hunter model, about 180 dollars 15 or so years ago. Hundreds of miles on them and the laces are not even wore out. My go to boots in the deer season are Elk Tracker 1000 gr. At least 10 years old and as new. I like them so much I bought another pair in 200gr but the old deer hunters are still fine and I have these up for sale.

No one has more hatred on for China than me. I have walked away from 100s of products rather than support those that are holding our people hostage and brought the world to it's knees with the rona virus. The quality of the Irish Setter boots however is as good or better than most anything on the market in that price range. Some European/USA boots are certainly better but also double or triple the price.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Love my Kenetrek’s as well. My left foot is a little wider than my right......bought the wide version of the Mtn Extreme’s twice now and they are awesome.