Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
No man. I sold or traded it

On;y thing I have sold or traded is my wife and kids, and they are up for grabs for the right offer too.

The struggle is real.
Hahahahahaha
Old 09-28-2022, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you have a braked Lapua to lend me, then we may go down that road. I got me a cow muus ski tag this year.
I have a bunch of rifle you can borrow anytime
The 338 Sherman short mag is nice
Old 09-29-2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I have a bunch of rifle you can borrow anytime
The 338 Sherman short mag is nice
That will work too!

After shooting an unbraked 500 A Square, it’s all smooth sailing
Old 09-29-2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
No man. I sold or traded it

On;y thing I have sold or traded is my wife and kids, and they are up for grabs for the right offer too.

The struggle is real.
Lol. If I didn’t know any better, I’d ask what is wrong with you?!

Quote:
You shoulda scooped er up!
Shoulda woulda… Sailed. Womp womp.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Lol. If I didn’t know any better, I’d ask what is wrong with you?!

Shoulda woulda… Sailed. Womp womp.
In a two year period, I bet I had 40 rifles go through the house. It was stupid. Now, I have a rifle, shotty, and a 22. Go figure.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:45 PM

Buy 5 boxes of Nosler Partitions and you'll be set for life.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
In a two year period, I bet I had 40 rifles go through the house. It was stupid. Now, I have a rifle, shotty, and a 22. Go figure.
Shoulda just been like Ken and bought a Vette. I’m also old enough to hit the minimum age requirement to own one….

I hear you on the rifle phase though. I’ve had probably 25 different ones in the last 10 years. Unless you’re counting various 22’s I actually don’t have a single one that I owned 4 years ago right now.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
If it was a shotgun, rifle and a 4wheel drive you’re be a living Hank Williams Jr song. Sadly, Subarus and Honda Ridgelines don’t cut it…
Old 09-29-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I picked up a new Kimber Montana in 7-08 that I'm gonna hunt with this fall. Darned thing shoots everything I feed it equally well, with all bullets consistently grouping between .4" and .7", so I now have to choose which bullet I am going to use. I have a cow elk tag and the various deer tags. Her are the choices:

- Nosler Partitions 150 gr
- Berger VLD 140 gr
- Barnes TTSX 140 gr

Feel free to argue like crazy and tell each other off!

Kind Regards,
sns2
I'd go with the Nosler partitions. I have a 7mm-08 Browing BLR that I have 140 gr Nosler partition handloads for, I use only that one round with it. Elk, deer, coyotes, a few gophers......gets it done! I've never used the 150 gr.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:12 PM

Default Avoid bergers for hunting

I’ve had a couple disappointments with bergers, they don’t open up on deer unless you hit bone on the way in. Might be ok if you do a shoulder hit where the muscle mass will cause expansion, but both mine were behind the shoulder. Happened twice, had to follow a thin blood trail for half a mile before they finally piled up. Both of them had a pencil hole thro both sides of both lungs. Fortunately both were on fresh snow across a field so it was easy. Both hit a rib on the way out and that’s where they expanded, too little too late.

So go with a proper bonded hunting bullet, either of the other two you mentioned are tried and proven. Something that’s going to open up on thin skinned game such as our deer. And if they don’t shoot for you then try Hornady sst, they work well and shoot well too, at least for me they do.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:06 AM

I have been using Bergers with very good luck for over 5 years, from everything from 243 to 338RUM.
Never had a issue, shoot them, the animal dies, we eat them.
Mind you I have used everything else too, and they work as well, even the Nosler Ballistic tips, and i know they are no good for anything, and all you will ever do is do a flesh wound on our bullet proof deer.
My wife shoots Barnes TTSX in her 280ai, as thats what I tried first and they shot good, so thats what I continue loading for her.
My new 7mm mag i am shooting 168gr Berger VLD hopefully I will have a report on them this year.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I bet back in 2014 you would never have thought your thread would generate great discussion 8 years later!

That is staying power, kinda like Nosler Partitions 😅
Old 09-30-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I’ve had a couple disappointments with bergers, they don’t open up on deer unless you hit bone on the way in. Might be ok if you do a shoulder hit where the muscle mass will cause expansion, but both mine were behind the shoulder. Happened twice, had to follow a thin blood trail for half a mile before they finally piled up. Both of them had a pencil hole thro both sides of both lungs. Fortunately both were on fresh snow across a field so it was easy. Both hit a rib on the way out and that’s where they expanded, too little too late.

So go with a proper bonded hunting bullet, either of the other two you mentioned are tried and proven. Something that’s going to open up on thin skinned game such as our deer. And if they don’t shoot for you then try Hornady sst, they work well and shoot well too, at least for me they do.
One of my buddies swears by Bergers in his 7 mag, more than a few moose with them, but he says to stay away from bone and only takes lung shots!
I watched him take a doe with it last year at over 400 yards, lung shot .
The deer didn't even fall over, it went straight down !
fist sized hole out the other side of the lungs.
However, I don't personally use them, I use Barnes TSX bullets in my .303
Cat
Old 09-30-2022, 04:22 PM

Default Didn’t mean to start a war here….

I was merely stating what my experience has been and my reasons for not using them for hunting..

I have shot them from a bench at targets and I must say they have proven stellar for that.

I’m glad that they work as well as they do for those that have had success with them.

Looking at my post, I likely should have said in my headline: “ Why I don’t ever use them for hunting.”
Old 09-30-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I was merely stating what my experience has been and my reasons for not using them for hunting..

I have shot them from a bench at targets and I must say they have proven stellar for that.

I’m glad that they work as well as they do for those that have had success with them.

Looking at my post, I likely should have said in my headline: “ Why I don’t ever use them for hunting.”
No worries! They woukd certainly be my last choice of a bullet tp hunt with as well. But then I know guys who would not use a Barnes! LOL
Cat