Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2023, 11:28 AM

Default Win Model 70 refurb gunsmith suggestions near Edmonton

I've got a pre 64 Model 70 fwt in 30-06 that was given to me by my dad about 15 years ago. He bought it new in 1960, and hunted hard with it in NE BC in the 60's and 70's. The stock was broken at the wrist and split along the side when his three wheeler flipped over in the early 80's. He threw some screws and glue to the stock to make it functional (not pretty), just like when he had carved the top of the stock down when new because he didn't like the way it would bite his cheekbone when he shot it. The glue started to separate about a decade ago, so I re-glued his old handy work with some epoxy to stabilize things. It was still as ugly as heck, but functional and still shot extremely well.

I picked up a Boyd's stock from another member a few years ago, but it's not a perfect fit and needs a bit more inletting and to be bedded. As there is next to zero bluing left on the receiver or barrel, so I'm thinking that I would like to have the barrel/action cerakoted and bedded/inlet into the stock that I picked up, as well as have the safety repaired as the lever doesn't want to move and has been like that as long as I can remember (probably why he never packed it with a round chambered). It's not pretty but obviously has sentimental value, which is why I would like to update it and use it as my main hunting rifle. Any suggestions for someone in the Edmonton area to complete the required work? Thanks.

I included a photo of the action sitting in the new stock beside the battered original stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0590.jpg (143.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 11-19-2023, 02:17 PM

Great rifle! If it were me, I’d pour my money into a good synthetic stock. Brown Precision would be my choice. I’d have a gunsmith install and paint it. Leave the metal work as is except for having the safety fixed, put a set of low Leupold dual dovetail scope mounts on it and that rifle is good for another 100 years plus.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 11-19-2023 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:36 PM

Have to agree about the Brown precision stock, the nicest shaped cheek piece in the industry. I have two of the pre 64’s. One in a McMillan edge stock and the other in the Brown precision.
I also have a nicely refinished wood stock I’d sell cheap.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:50 PM

I used Corlanes in Dawson creek for both these rifles.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:15 PM

Paul Cook at PR Precision in Whitecourt , great turnaround and top shelf work .
Henry Remple in Langdon also does top end work.
Cat
Old 11-19-2023, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm originally from Dawson Creek so I know Corlanes well, but I also just checked out some of Paul's work on his Facebook page and you're absolutely right Cat, he sure does some nice work. Maybe I'll just need to take the rifle with me next time I head up north.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm originally from Dawson Creek so I know Corlanes well, but I also just checked out some of Paul's work on his Facebook page and you're absolutely right Cat, he sure does some nice work. Maybe I'll just need to take the rifle with me next time I head up north.
My son snd I have had Paul work on our high end drillings, and I had him do some work on one of my smallbore match rifles.
I have absolutely no issues recconending either him or Henry Remple
Cat
Old 11-19-2023, 05:50 PM

Legacy Restorations SW Edmonton
legacyrestorations.ca
A true craftsman
Old 11-19-2023, 09:07 PM

You could also look into Bob Galloway at Custom Gunworx in Leslieville, a great gunsmith as well.
Cat
Old 11-22-2023, 09:36 PM

After reading through some of the replies I just might be leaving the rifle as is with the exception of an original stock that cowmanbob offered to set me up with. I'll post a couple more pics once it gets here.

Here are some photos of the Boyds classic style stock that I was going to use. Plus an old piece of lumber that I found in one of my dad's granaries quite a few years ago. He'd kind of forgotten about it, as he figures that he had acquired it sometime in the 70's but unfortunately someone had already cut it down, so he wasn't really too interested in tinkering with it.

It has what I guess is Aristocrat? styling as there's a large cheek piece, teardrop type grip and a fairly big palm swell. It was only semi-inlet and still fairly rough, so I mucked around with it a few winters ago carving down the sides by the receiver closer to that of the original stock profile, made the inletting a fair bit better, then sanded it smooth and did a few hand rubbed coats of Tung Oil. I wasn't really worried about screwing it up, as it had already been cut down to a LOP of around 12 maybe 12.25 inches.

They both have some nice figure to them, so maybe I'll put them on the EE and see if anyone is interested. They both have some promise for someone that has more talent than me and maybe wants to add some checkering or something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0624.jpg (131.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.jpg (118.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0605.jpg (64.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0617.jpg (117.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0618.jpg (70.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 12:54 PM

After setting the barreled action in the stock that I received from cowman bob, aside from getting the issue with the safety dealt with, I'm going to leave the old girl as is. I'm pretty sure that when I show it to my dad he'll want it back, which is okay by me lol. It should go to the original owner anyway for as long as he still has interest in it and can use it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0650 (1).jpg (76.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 05:57 PM

I had a safety done by rod henrickson gunsmith it on the west end of Edmonton last year. Did a great job and was under $150. Picked it up two days after I dropped it off.