Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 03:33 PM

The .223 isn't going to get dethroned by anything in Canada for what it does and especially in an AR style platform because I doubt very much you will see the CAF going anywhere else as far as the 5.56 NATO goes .
As far as the 308 getting dethroned , I doubt very much it is going anywhere as far as falling into obscurity , there are way too many 308's out there and too many people shooting them.
Cat
Old 08-08-2020, 04:12 PM

The choices out there these are certainly covering the spectrum, not too many holes that haven't been filled at one time or another, look at the various catalogs from say the prewar DWM, Kynoch, Winchester and Remington catalogs to the current pile, or even in just looking at the CIP and SAAMI catalogs, it is mindboggling. Person would need a big powder mag for all the current powders available today, not sure if a person wouldn't bust the storage limit with 1 lb of each. Even the bullet selection is over the top these days.
be interesting to see if some of today's 50-100yr old cartridges and guns are still kicking in another 100 yrs, and how many currently 100+ aged ones are still around.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
The choices out there these are certainly covering the spectrum, not too many holes that haven't been filled at one time or another, look at the various catalogs from say the prewar DWM, Kynoch, Winchester and Remington catalogs to the current pile, or even in just looking at the CIP and SAAMI catalogs, it is mindboggling. Person would need a big powder mag for all the current powders available today, not sure if a person wouldn't bust the storage limit with 1 lb of each. Even the bullet selection is over the top these days.
be interesting to see if some of today's 50-100yr old cartridges and guns are still kicking in another 100 yrs, and how many currently 100+ aged ones are still around.
Well,, if you look at the 45/70,30/30,7X57,'06 .303 Brit, 6.5X55,32/40, etc, they are still pretty popular today, and I would not be surpprised if thee 303 and the 45/70 are still popular when you and I are long gone!

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say the .22LR 375H&H, 45/70,.303, 30/30,6.5Creed, 308Win, .223, 7mag, 300mag,6.5Swede will still be with us for sure. Maybe only as target stuff or vintage aficionados, because who knows, we may be shooting lasers by then!

Cat
Old 08-15-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Pretty tough to beat a .223 and bulk ammo out to 500 meters for plunking and stuff
Cat

What bulk ammo is recommended to look into for this purpose?
This thread really has me thinking I want to get a 223 for exactly this purpose now.
I don’t like that the kids can’t shoot a deer with it, so something like a Grendel is enticing, but low cost high volume trigger time is just tough to disagree with.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:52 AM

Or if not bulk ammo, what weight of bullets do people prefer for 300-500m range work?
Old 08-17-2020, 01:43 AM

In just what I've noticed, bulk ammo only seems to be available, in 55gr FMJ. I could be looking in the wrong places though, can't say I've searched hard for them. It seems to me there should be a market for a varmint load in 55gr and 40gr. 40gr will get real close to 22-250 w/55gr loads. You would also think there would be enough market for a heavier one with a match grade bullet of some form for the fast twist barrels. But, I'm no marketing whizbang, either. Something like a 55 or 70gr partition or a TTSX would make a good hunting round up for Wile E and deer, even lopers. The bullets are out there, just seems the mfgrs don't want to offer them, although they may be available from some custom mfgrs, but I'd guess they likely are not all that cheap, compared to the 55gr FMJ.