Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-24-2020, 10:45 AM

Default Which Scope companies have best and worst reticles

It's just opinions.

Worst Nikon, HM bushnell.

Best, I really like Sightron and Leupold.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Banned

My go to fav for hunting (big game/predators) and everything else, has become the leupold wide duplex. On dial up builds.

Edit: I like the leupold lr-duplex for multi-aimpoint type reticles, little less busy than the b&c reticle.

Agree with response below about leupold gaps, they are good for those velocity ranges. Less is more in reticles imo so lr-duplex over the b&c for me.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:11 AM

Agree. The Nikon BDC is one of the worst ever.

I like the Leupold B&C reticle, it has worked out well for me on rifles that shoot 2900-3000 fps.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:38 AM

Default Athlon

I like the reticle in my Chronos. Its the right thickness and the hash marks are very well laid out.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:44 AM

The Nikon BDC is horrible, but I find Nightforce to be way too busy, and Zeiss Rapid Z too thick for precision. I like the Swarovski BRH for big game hunting.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:48 PM

my favourite reticle is the old Swaro TDS I find it to be the most versatile least busy big game reticle
Old 07-24-2020, 04:21 PM

The worst for me is Nikon BDC. Beyond that, I have absolutely no use for any reticle that looks like a Christmas tree. Just give me a wide duplex or German No 4.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:41 PM
Banned

Vortex, Nikon, gross.

Nightforce IHR is nice.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:59 PM

Default Context

I stopped and thought about the question a bit more. Context is important. Each reticle has a purpose. Hunting, Target (flclass) PRS ect. The reticle I like many on here would find horrible because its a Christmas tree. But for target shooting its amazing. I can line up on a gong at the range and make a wind call using my reticle and see if I am right. Then dial it and use the center of scope from there on.

For hunting it would be amazing as well because you wouldnt need to dial elevation or wind on your animal if you were in a hurry. They do take some time to get used to though and some can be a bit cluttered.

I dont like the horus or tremor ones because its too much info to process. I prefer a basic christmas tree. but i would bet if I was in the military and had time to practice with a horus or tremor I would grow to really appreciate it.

So I guess it all depends on the context
Old 07-24-2020, 05:07 PM

It is just a general question on thoughts. The Nikon BDC I have to wonder if the guy that came up with that concept has ever shot a rifle, just horrible. Bushnell has way to heavy cross hairs. My Sightron has a 1/4 moa dot at max magnification. I thought I would hate it when I got the scope, but man do I love it. It is perfect for a 1/2 in centre at 100yds or 1 in center at 200 yds. All common on targets. It is just well thought out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Agree. The Nikon BDC is one of the worst ever.

I like the Leupold B&C reticle, it has worked out well for me on rifles that shoot 2900-3000 fps.
I also like the B&C, have one mounted on my 7mm08 and it seems to be right on the money for it. Shooting 140 gr at 2875.

I also have a Leica ER scope with the fine reticle that I really like (mounted on a 7mm RM), you can see it clearly but doesn't cover the target at longer ranges.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-24-2020, 06:11 PM

For hunting scopes I really like the Retucke in my Leupold 1.5-4x with the variable red center .
However o never feel disadvantaged when using the standard plex Retucke in my M8's.
For range work at 1K the ranging reticle in my IOR Valdada is top shelf for holding over .
I have two Leupold scopes with 1/8 MOA target dots- a VariX111,6-18x and a Mk 4 straight 16X.
If the sunlight is bright I can barely see them, no matter how much adjusting I do!
They both will likely be making a trip to Korth to have TMR reticles installed!
Old 07-24-2020, 08:33 PM

Haha! There’s about a 99% hate on for Nikon BDC reticle... well on my hunting rifles I think they are just fine. I make great shots On game out to 300m, and I’ve taken Deadly moving shots on game under 100m. Target shooting, Ive reached out to 600m with the Nikon bdc and shot just fine once again. Not sure why everyone dislikes them so much? Please do tell...

Also, I simply can’t afford nightforce optics on my rifles so maybe I just make due with what I can afford. I’ve tried several leupold optics and personally didn’t like them, just my opinion since that’s what this threads all about haha.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Haha! There’s about a 99% hate on for Nikon BDC reticle... well on my hunting rifles I think they are just fine. I make great shots On game out to 300m, and I’ve taken Deadly moving shots on game under 100m. Target shooting, Ive reached out to 600m with the Nikon bdc and shot just fine once again. Not sure why everyone dislikes them so much? Please do tell...

Also, I simply can’t afford nightforce optics on my rifles so maybe I just make due with what I can afford. I’ve tried several leupold optics and personally didn’t like them, just my opinion since that’s what this threads all about haha.
Those silly circles offer no advantage over hash marks, and there is no reason to use them instead of hash marks. And if I only shot game to 300m, I wouldn't bother with a bdc reticle.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:00 PM

No particular issues with any of the regular crosshair reticles I've used, Leupold Duplex, Nikon fine cross, single dot. Zeiss Z600 & 800 are OK, Swaro BRH is ok, both are useable. I have a Delta Stryker FFP with a DLR1 reticle, like that so far. I can see the value of the Horus type reticles in competitions or military apps, but, you'd have to work with it a lot to remember how to work it. Looked at an Athlon Cronus with the APRS IRMIL, was interesting, but, settled on the DLR1, bit simpler. Some of the reticles don't seem logical to me, There sure are a pile of weird and wonderful ideas out there.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:05 PM

I just put a Riton Tactix X3 1-8x24 on one of my rifles and I really like this reticle. It’s super crisp and has a great field of view... 11 settings to illuminate or black if it’s off. This went on a rifle I use while calling coyotes, 200-300 yards max.

LC
Old 07-25-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I just put a Riton Tactix X3 1-8x24 on one of my rifles and I really like this reticle. It’s super crisp and has a great field of view... 11 settings to illuminate or black if it’s off. This went on a rifle I use while calling coyotes, 200-300 yards max.

LC
I saw you got some new Riton optics, what swayed you to try their optics? That’s a different reticle without a doubt, I think it would work really well for predators.

BG
Old 07-25-2020, 09:05 AM

I'm with the crowd on the Nikon BDC and on the Christmas trees. I have a couple Nikons and really don't like the reticle. The scopes are fine, glass is good, just don't like the reticle - thought I would get used to it but nope. I do like a hunter holdover like Sightron has - it's not too busy just a couple of marks that you can use. Prefer that over a standard duplex.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:09 AM

I like the Nikon Nikoplex and their #4 reticle. I have several with BDC, but I am still not sure if I’m a fan.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Not something that I would have.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:59 AM

I'll get on the Nikon bdc hate train. I've had a couple of Monarchs. They've had a simple plex reticle.

I prefer simple plex style reticles, but I don't mind the Leupold tri-moa or TMR family of reticles. 1 moa between the hash marks.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:00 AM

Those I like - Varmint gun, Mil-Dot reticle. Hunting rifles, Swaro BRH or BRX and Leupold Boone and Crockett. Prior to these I had and still have quite a few Leupold Duplex and still like them on scopes that I twist dials on.

Mil_Dot

Boone and Crockett

Swaro BRX

Dislike, Same as so many others, Nikon BDC and those like it. The REALLY busy Rifle scopes with a bazillion hash marks both vertically and horizontally. Way to hard to use.

One of the worst

What can you possibly so with all these tiny little hash marks.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:37 AM

I've got a couple of the BDC version Nikon Rimfires and can't say I even notice the circles when I'm shooting. Great little scopes and a damn shame they're discontinued because the remaining options either stink or are very costly. I also own a couple of Monarchs with simple plex reticle on hunting rifles and they're great. Biggest problem with the Monarchs for me was always size and weight but glass was very good.

Leupolds basic 2 dot LR reticle is great. As is Swaros 4a. The rest I have zero use or desire for. I'll leave those for the LR range guys.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It is just a general question on thoughts. The Nikon BDC I have to wonder if the guy that came up with that concept has ever shot a rifle, just horrible. Bushnell has way to heavy cross hairs. My Sightron has a 1/4 moa dot at max magnification. I thought I would hate it when I got the scope, but man do I love it. It is perfect for a 1/2 in centre at 100yds or 1 in center at 200 yds. All common on targets. It is just well thought out.
The gentleman that designed the reticle for Nikon was a very well known long range shooter from SK. He has since passed. I chatted with him and shot at the range with him using the scope when it first came out. He could shoot it like a hot fire and I couldn't club a rock with it. Strange ability he had.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
The gentleman that designed the reticle for Nikon was a very well known long range shooter from SK. He has since passed. I chatted with him and shot at the range with him using the scope when it first came out. He could shoot it like a hot fire and I couldn't club a rock with it. Strange ability he had.
I appreciate you sharing this, giving credit where it’s due and paying respect to someone who’s accomplishments clearly surpassed those who arrogantly can’t handle a smart phone
Old 07-25-2020, 01:58 PM

I actually know a guy who really likes the Nikon bdc reticle It’s his go to. I can’t stand it my self I’m not a fan of the leupold Mildot either I prefer the hash marks like the zeiss zmoa in that style of reticle.

Last edited by Dubious; 07-25-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:16 PM

I like the Nikon BDC reticle on my hunting rifle and so does my wife like hers. I like the simple ballistic reticles from Bushnell DOA, Leupold B&C, Zeiss Z6 or Z8, Minox. I don’t like any reticle I have seen on any Nightforce scopes.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:31 PM

This is the reticle on 8x at a 200m gong. Really easy to acquire a target and it took me 5 shots to sight in and I was banging the 200m gong with every shot. Using a semi-auto .223 with 45gr Winchester Whitebox Ammo.

I realize this reticle won’t be for everyone but on the style of firearm it’s on the fit and function is perfect!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-25-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Was it Ian by chance ?
Old 07-26-2020, 06:18 AM

My Sightron reticle, the dot is .25 MOA at X24. Love it for target shooting.

MOA-2-Reticle by Piker Golf, on Flickr

Thomas Sowell