Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Cadex CDX-7 Sheepdog Rifle Review

Today was the first day out with my brand new Cadex CDX-R7 Sheepdog rifle. I thought I would do a review and share some of my thoughts and a few photos. I've wanted to buy a fully custom rifle or action for a long time now. This week my dream came true.

In the past I would purchase a rifle or action like a Tikka or Rem 700, buy a barrel and stock or chassis and off to the range I would go. If you have a good gunsmith (machinist), they can make a semi custom that is pretty darn special. I have had several ½ moa rifles doing it this way. I recently had an epiphany, doing it this way isn’t that much cheaper than just buying a Cadex Defense Firearm! I Decided to sell my latest rifle project and I put all the components into a spread sheet to see what I should ask for a price. I was surprized to see that I was into it for over $3000.00 I was even more surprized to see that I could buy a Cadex CDX-R7 Sheepdog for just a bit more than I paid for the components and gunsmithing!

Here is a link to the Cadex sight
https://www.cadexdefence.com/product...cision-rifles/

Well this decision seemed like a no brainer. I really like the sturdy tried and true nature of a Rem 700 action. Its bullet proof (I couldn’t resist). I’ve looked into purchasing a custom action and there are a lot of excellent choices out there but I don’t like the high bolt throw of many of the 2 Lug Rem 700 customs. Its one of the reasons I often do builds on Tikka actions instead. If I was going to go with a full custom build, I wanted something with 3 or 4 lugs. This narrows the choices. I did my research looked at all of them and pulled the trigger and got the Sheepdog in a 6.5 Creedmoor.

You are all probably thinking ok Mark blah blah blah what’s it like to shoot and is it accurate? Simple answer, It is a dream to shoot. It is one of the most comfortable rifles I have ever got behind. The ergonomics of the Strike Nuke Evo Chassis are amazing. It does this in a very subtly way. It combines the best of a metal chassis and a traditional rifle stock. The cheek piece adjusts like nothing else I have ever used. It even has a rubberized foam cheek piece that absorbs sweat and I am guessing its comfortable and warm when the winter comes with its sub zero temperatures. The length of pull is adjustable with spacers. I like this method its solid and repeatable. It isn’t often that friends shoot my rifle and I don’t want to change the settings on it anyway so I don’t like adjustable LOP. I am pretty fussy about LOP and the way it effects my eye relief on my scope. Frankly I have a really hard time getting comfortable behind most rifles. I expected that on my first time out with my new Sheepdog I would be fiddling around with it (moving the scope on the rail ) (raising and lowering the check piece) to get it right, but I was behind it and shooting in minutes. I was pleasantly surprized! I will put out the disclaimer that I was only shooting it from a bench and that shooting prone might be different, but it just felt comfortable and easy to shoot. This proved out in how it performed but I will get to that later.

The action was sooooo buttery smooth and cycled cartridges like a boss. I have never experienced its equal. The low bolt through made ejecting and chambering rounds happen extremely quickly. I don’t shoot PRS but I have a feeling that those who do would really appreciate shaving off a few moments between shots to better judge the conditions and make better wind calls. I did not have a single failure to feed or a jam on my first outing.
The rifle is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. It comes from the factory with a Cadex muzzle brake, and it is very pleasant to shoot. The felt recoil seem comparable to a Sako 204 I used to have. (I still miss that gun and should never have sold it). It didn’t seem to jump, and I was back on target in moments after pulling the trigger. The noise from the brake isn’t bad either. Some braked rifles are deafening but the Sheepdog does a good job of balancing the recoil and noise.

The trigger is pretty good. I was able to adjust it down to around 1.5 pounds and that’s low enough for me. The trigger shoe is also adjustable and that’s a feature I have never had in a rifle. I have yet to play with it or adjust it yet. It was pretty comfortable out of the box so why mess with a good thing. That may change after I try shooting it prone. It’s a two stage trigger and the second stage breaks very cleanly. I think I am going to like the trigger. I have no complaints so far.

I sighted the rifle in using Hornady 140 gr ELD-M Match ammo. My first group was around an inch. It was off by over 3 Mill to the left and half a mill high so I broke out my tools and made the required adjustments to my Razor Gen II scope. My next shot was dead center of the bullseye. I dialed over to the next bullseye to test my tracking and nailed the next bullseye. I was pretty happy at this point so I decided to try a five shot group and see what it was capable of. I printed a group that you can cover with a dime, my guess is that its sub ½ moa. I was ready to dance a jig. This is my first time out with the rifle, and I was using factory ammo! I think I have a winner. I have more testing to do but so far The Cadex CDX-R7 Sheepdog rifle has exceed my expectations and I am very happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheepdog Side.jpg (72.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 6.5 Creed Dime Group.jpg (47.0 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 4 lug bolt.jpg (29.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 6.5 Creed CDX-7 Sheepdog side.jpg (76.9 KB, 160 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:48 AM

Nice write up. I’ve been curious about the R7, do you find the bolt lift heavy?
Old 07-31-2020, 09:05 AM

Default Bolt Lift

i didn't find it so. I am a pretty big guy though and I was pretty excited about shooting a new rifle. I will pay more attention to it next time out and report back. I should try and shoot it side by side with one of my other rifles for context.

I did find the action very smooth and positive. It picked the cartridges up out of the magazine flawlessly. It dropped them in the chamber without incident. Not a single misfeed in 20 rounds. Cycling the action was super quick because of the low bolt throw. I really really like that. It is probably the biggest reason I chose this rifle.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Nice write up. I’ve been curious about the R7, do you find the bolt lift heavy?
I had two rifles out the other day, the Cadex and my tikka. I tried the bolt throw on both and didnt notice much of a difference. I have had some other people mention this issue.

I dont have any complaints.

I had a friend try it as well and he didnt notice much of a difference either.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Yeah I figured it would be heavy but recently heard Ryan M say on a FFP Podcast that it wasn’t bad at all, so I was curious what you thought. I’d really like to get some time with one one day. Spend most of my time behind Bighorns right now.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Banned

Lol...12 lbs measured compared to a 2 lug custom @ 6 lbs.....2x as much. On a 20lb rifle bag disturance is less than a 10lb. Of course ...the hulk wouldn't notice it either.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Default Dont take my opinion

The other guy was a very seasoned shooter and a member of Law Enforcement. In fact I have had 2 Guys who are law enforcement one city the other RCMP and both of them found the bolt throw to be quite nice and really like the rifle. One of them is even considering purchasing one.

But I guess we are all super heros with insane strength. I prefer Thor over the Hulk any day!

You have given me a great idea for a name for my rifle, Mjölnir!!!!
Old 09-20-2020, 02:28 PM

Default Long Range

Its been a pretty slow summer for shooting. Been kinda busy with other stuff. Yesterday was my first day streching the legs out on the new Cadex. I shot it out to 500M and it did great. I didnt have the ammo Chrono verified but my estimate was close enough that I was on target with the second shot. After that I couldnt miss. (nor should I with good equipment and practice).

I recently added a length of Pull Spacer so it was more comfortable shooting prone. I have to say it was a real treat to shoot. The muzzle brake worked very well and felt recoil was incredibly mild. I could spend a day in a gopher patch with this thing no problem. All in all a great day and I am still very happy with the purchase.

I realized that I need a better bipod though. I am running a cheap Harris knock off. It works fine but not great. I am leaning towards an Atlas Gen2 BT 65 but I am open to hearing your opinions. I have been keeping my eye on the buy and sell and haventy seen anything there lately.

Here are a couple of Photo's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cadex 1.jpg (41.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Cadex 2.jpg (70.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-20-2020, 04:18 PM

I really enjoy my Cadex Falcon Lite over my Atlas bipod. Would be fitting for your rifle.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Streched the Legs out further today 700M

I had a chance to stretch the legs out a bit further today, and took it out to 700M a couple times. My first group wasn't bad but it wasn't great. My second group settled in nicely considering the strong prairie winds. The Vertical on the second group was very nice. All in all it shot around 1 MOA or better out to 700M and you can't complain about that.

Posted a couple videos with the groups on youtube if your interested.

https://youtu.be/H2fQTvQc4ZY

https://youtu.be/DbToe87cSbI
Old 09-28-2020, 08:46 PM

Default New Atlas Bt 65 Bipod Came in today

The New Atlas Bt 65 Bipod came in today. I installed it and decided to take my darling wife out shooting. It was super stable she really liked it. In fact it was her first time shooting this rifle. She said it was her favorite one to shoot of all the rifles I have owned.

Here are some Photos and a video of the groupings, the woman can shoot! I am one lucky fella!

https://youtu.be/3EfJfRsHbOQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linda with Cadex.jpg (101.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Cadex atlas angle.jpg (76.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Cadex with Atlas side sunset.jpg (60.8 KB, 42 views)