Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2014, 08:17 PM

Default High Country and High Spirits

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to head out west to hit up the Blackstone and her three main tributaries for the first time this season. The weather treated us well, stream conditions were excellent and the fish were cooperative—all of which contributed to a memorable trip.

We set off early Saturday morning, greeted by an apocalyptic thunder storm, and torrential rain. This was soon replaced with dense fog which severely hampered visibility as we crossed the Elk River Road. Fortunately, as we veered south onto the Trunk Road the fog broke, granting us sunny skies and mixed cloud. We soon arrived at camp where we quickly set up and prepared gear.

After having hastily unpacked, we made good time and we put distance between us and road access.

The creek immediately produced several species. In about five hours I caught both Cutthroat and Bull Trout, a stray Brooky as well as a RMW all on the fly.

In time we rolled up to this pool that had produced several large Bull Trout in the past.

Drifting a large Elk Hair Caddis brought this 18” specimen to the surface, and put a decent bend in the 4 weight.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:17 PM

After returning to camp to eat, we set off again. I was surprised to find that a road I was depending on to reach another creek was badly washed out and blocked off with concrete barricades. It looks as if they have forsaken it as there is access to the FTR from either side of the washout. Rather than spend time on a lengthy detour, we broke out to the Trunk Road and decided to fish the main stem Blackstone.

An hour or so at one beautiful pool on the middle river netted me a single decent Cutty and my buddy a pair of bulls.

The following morning we set off to try the one major tributary in the system I had not fished before. Despite beautiful scenery, I found little in the way of good holding water with the exception of one beautiful pool. At this pool, however, I did manage to land what would be my largest Cutt of the trip: a fat specimen of about 15”.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM

After booting it back out to the truck and gassing up in Nordegg, we headed north to fish another Blackstone tributary that had been good to me in the past. Deep green pools and harshly cut runs produced about two dozen Cutts and Bulls between us in a few hours.

That evening I managed another three Bulls fishing solo before darkness shut me down for the night and sent me back to camp.

On Monday morning we again woke early, ate and packed before setting off. We opted to fish the main stem Blackstone again, fishing upstream from the pool we had found the evening a day prior.

Despite overcast and cool temperatures, I managed to net three Cutties in a few hours before a scarcity of the ever dwindling non-renewable resource—time—dragged us back to the truck.

As we rolled south on the Trunk Road, and then east on 11, I would glimpse—occasionally, cautiously—in the rear view mirrors. As I watched the mountains fade into the haze of the horizon, my grimace faded into a weak smile knowing I would be back sometime soon.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 PM

nice fish, I am somewhat surprised you were not fly fishing to catch one of the fish but its also good to know that anyone with a rod can catch 'em What were you using?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:58 PM

nice pics! was out there a few days ago !
Old 08-15-2014, 08:39 PM

Beauty!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
nice fish, I am somewhat surprised you were not fly fishing to catch one of the fish but its also good to know that anyone with a rod can catch 'em What were you using?
First picture you can see a fly rod

Amazing I'm jealous
When I get back from ft Mac I'm there!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
First picture you can see a fly rod

Amazing I'm jealous
When I get back from ft Mac I'm there!
In the 8th picture his buddy was spinfishing and 9th picture i saw his cutty and the spinning rod
Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
In the 8th picture his buddy was spinfishing and 9th picture i saw his cutty and the spinning rod
Oh there ya go half And half I guess who know