Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 PM

Smile Canada Census

I had the "census lady" beat on my door today to deliver the form. I initially answered the door in the language that I learned at the feet of my grandfather, father, and the rest of our family(neither English or french). She tried me on in french, a language that I am also fluent in, and answered some of her questions, and quickly switched back to German. The only time in my life have I seen an individual as confused was a JW. She tried me on in English, to which I partially responded and then continued in German. The nice lady left shaking her head as she packed herself down the sidewalk from the house. Just love doing this to door to door people.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM

LOL any excuse to be a jack*** LOL
Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Just got mine in the mail, filled in out online, and they took me to the long form household info one.....what a pain in the buttocks! But, it was pretty quick to do, lots of 'no' clicking going on!

The german and french thing is funny, my folks are german and it was also my first language, although I don't speak it much anymore. I can curse pretty fluently in french, german and spanish, never mind English! Doesn't help me on the census form though......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM

I can relate to people playing games with religious solicitors or salespeople trying to get you to buy crusty merchandise, as I do it myself; but I think it's pretty rude to do it to people with a legitimate reason to come calling. Those census numbers affect how tax dollars are allocated to your district. Some people don't answer their census and their community may see a little less funding as a result. Haha, that's funny.

If you answered the questions, but were just rude because the person disrupted you at home then you still get that government money allotment for your community (ie: the expected benefits back from your own tax dollars) but you made someones job miserable for a while. Bravo, good show.

My Dad's retired but does some City of Calgary census taking basically to kill time, and he encounters all sorts. Many don't answer the door, many don't return the numerous calls and door hangar notices; they think it's a waste of time. A lot of time's he'll encounter Muslim women who won't dare answer the door without a male family member present. He'll explain to those who will listen in terms they can relate: Tax dollars are spent where the statistics justify that they are needed; if you don't wanna answer fine; but know where to complain if/when things don't happen in your neighborhood.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I can relate to people playing games with religious solicitors or salespeople trying to get you to buy crusty merchandise, as I do it myself; but I think it's pretty rude to do it to people with a legitimate reason to come calling. Those census numbers affect how tax dollars are allocated to your district. Some people don't answer their census and their community may see a little less funding as a result. Haha, that's funny.

If you answered the questions, but were just rude because the person disrupted you at home then you still get that government money allotment for your community (ie: the expected benefits back from your own tax dollars) but you made someones job miserable for a while. Bravo, good show.

My Dad's retired but does some City of Calgary census taking basically to kill time, and he encounters all sorts. Many don't answer the door, many don't return the numerous calls and door hangar notices; they think it's a waste of time. A lot of time's he'll encounter Muslim women who won't dare answer the door without a male family member present. He'll explain to those who will listen in terms they can relate: Tax dollars are spent where the statistics justify that they are needed; if you don't wanna answer fine; but know where to complain if/when things don't happen in your neighborhood.
It was never said that I did not accept the form. Good on your father for what he does in retirement. I do a whole manure spreader loads of volunteer work in my retirement, but I find some macabre humour in hassling these door to door people, particularly those that my taxes pay for!!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Had one drop by today & I chewed her a new one for driving on my property so fast, with pets etc running around.
She just shruged it off.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I can relate to people playing games with religious solicitors or salespeople trying to get you to buy crusty merchandise, as I do it myself; but I think it's pretty rude to do it to people with a legitimate reason to come calling . . .
A 'BIG' 10-4 to that ^

My wife has done census work in the past. Some of the stories she came home with (encounters with the "unclebucks" of the world), were enough to make a grown man puke.

TF
Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

We have an old old cemetery on our farm.

My late grandpa used to put the names of the deceased in the cemetery with slightly altered dates of birth as residents of the farm. God Bless old Raymond Drunken Chief
Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
I had the "census lady" beat on my door today to deliver the form. I initially answered the door in the language that I learned at the feet of my grandfather, father, and the rest of our family(neither English or french). She tried me on in french, a language that I am also fluent in, and answered some of her questions, and quickly switched back to German. The only time in my life have I seen an individual as confused was a JW. She tried me on in English, to which I partially responded and then continued in German. The nice lady left shaking her head as she packed herself down the sidewalk from the house. Just love doing this to door to door people.
Kind of reminds me of one of my fav's of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzif...eature=related