Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2015, 06:16 PM

Default .22 WMR ammo availability.

Is there any .22 WMR in Alberta, I went to bass pro, wholesale sports and Canadian tire I Calgary and couldn't find any, I've looked at Cabalas online and the website said no ammo available either.

Does anyone know where I can get some in the Calgary area or even edmonton?
Thanks.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 PM

The Shooting Edge had one box of Remington Factory a couple of weeks before Xmas - maybe the CT in Shaunessy has some
Old 01-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Thanks, Richard I'll take a look.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:03 PM

North side Cabelas in Edmonton has lots. Maybe get someone to mail you some. I suppose. If you have no one I'll buy and mail it to you and you can e transfer me the amount. Pm if you need me to do this.

Kyle.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 PM

Checked north side Cabelas today, all gone.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
North side Cabelas in Edmonton has lots. Maybe get someone to mail you some. I suppose. If you have no one I'll buy and mail it to you and you can e transfer me the amount. Pm if you need me to do this.

Kyle.
Obviously you aren't aware that you aren't allowed to mail ammunition?

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/ma...Gnonmail-e.asp

Section 6.1
Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Section 6.1

Obviously you are not aware that Canada Post isn't the only mailing/shipping option. Canpar or DHL will ship ammo and powder.

The guy is trying to help out another outdoorsman to find some ammo. No reason to belittle him on the open forum, PM might have been a better option.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:53 AM

Most Canucks mean Canada Post when they use the term 'mail', they'll use the term 'ship' when talking private shipping outfits. I think noting that shipping ammo is against Canada Posts rules publicly can help educate more people aside from just the fellow in error so it is of greater public benefit to do so that way than in PM. I'll allow though that cutting the sarcastic tone would be nicer, the fellow was trying to make a positive gesture. I'll allow that I've been imperfect in that way as well from time to time.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:03 AM

Yeah I went to Cabelas yesterday as well and it's all gone. Weird though that cartridge always seems to be a full shelf, I'll keep my eyes open.

Learn something new every day, thanks members.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Yeah I went to Cabelas yesterday as well and it's all gone. Weird though that cartridge always seems to be a full shelf, I'll keep my eyes open.

Learn something new every day, thanks members.
I agree. I could have sworn that I've seen lots in the Calgary region lately, but that was probably a month ago. 22LR next to nothing, but there seemed to be lots of 22WMR.

Did you check with Proline? 403-265-6666.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 AM

Order online from cabelas even if it says backorder it usually shows up 7 days latter anyways

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Is there any .22 WMR in Alberta, I went to bass pro, wholesale sports and Canadian tire I Calgary and couldn't find any, I've looked at Cabalas online and the website said no ammo available either.

Thanks.
what kind are you looking for?

i could possibly cut a couple of boxes out of the collection
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Obviously you are not aware that Canada Post isn't the only mailing/shipping option. Canpar or DHL will ship ammo and powder.

The guy is trying to help out another outdoorsman to find some ammo. No reason to belittle him on the open forum, PM might have been a better option.
Mail is a form of shipping, but Canada Post is our only mail service.If you look at the post that I quoted, you will see that the poster specified "mail". Canpar and DHL do not provide mail service.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-06-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

Section 6.1
a lot of people aren't aware of that. i've been mailed ammo a few times i just shrugged and carried on no harm no foul
Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Mail is a form of shipping, but Canada Post is our only mail service.If you look at the post that I quoted, you will see that the poster specified "mail". Canpar and DHL do not provide mail service.
Then my mistake, your initial post was very helpful in letting the guy know he couldn't mail it and I am sure he came away from it realizing there must be other options

Might of been helpful to let the guy know how he could complete his generous offer using a "non mail" service such as Canpar instead crapping all over his idea.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 01-06-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM

Ammo can be shipped within Canada but not accross the US border ... is that correct?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
a lot of people aren't aware of that. i've been mailed ammo a few times i just shrugged and carried on no harm no foul
Me too. Big deal.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Ammo can be shipped within Canada but not accross the US border ... is that correct?
A Canadian can import 5000 rounds of ammunition legally without an import permit (Expolsives Act). The hang up is with the American side and needing permits for possession and export. You can contact NRCan to find out what permits are required for difference countries. But I would imagine finding ammo in the US is as difficult as finding it up here right now. I have heard of line-ups 2 hours before openning at Walmart on shipment days to buy bricks of 22 LR.

And yes, ammo can be legally "shipped' within Canada... just not "mailed".... which I just recently found out is a hugh difference.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
A Canadian can import 5000 rounds of ammunition legally without an import permit (Expolsives Act). The hang up is with the American side and needing permits for possession and export. You can contact NRCan to find out what permits are required for difference countries. But I would imagine finding ammo in the US is as difficult as finding it up here right now. I have heard of line-ups 2 hours before openning at Walmart on shipment days to buy bricks of 22 LR.

And yes, ammo can be legally "shipped' within Canada... just not "mailed".... which I just recently found out is a hugh difference.
I was down in Kailspel, Montana last month.
I happened into cabelas asthey got a shipment of american eagle .22lr.

Easily 100 people in line. Limit of 2 BOXES (yes, boxes of 40 rounds) per customer per day. all gone day 1!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Depends upon what ammo you are looking for. 22lror .22mag, then yes, next to impossible to find. I saw some at Bob Wards today 40 round boxes going for 7.50$. Haven't seen a brick in 2 years. Sold my 10/22 and bought a AR15 instead since I could find ammo for it. Out side of .22lr, you can regularly find .17hmr and whatever centerfire cartridge you are looking for. Generally those line ups are a couple old codgers and their friends who have nothing better to do than show up to Walmart at 4am and wait on Thursday mornings when they get their shipments of ammo. OR the employees buy it. Sucks but not much you can do.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 PM

Cabelas south Edmonton has 22wmr ammo in fancy wooden Winchester boxes. 150 rounds for $49.99.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 PM

I have a good variety of it, upon seeing this thread I went to peek at what was in my stockpile and found that I had it squirrelled away in 3 places, once it was in one spot I realized I had enough surplus to part with. I'd put a list here but it will be easier to bring to Saturdays gun show at Thornecliffe and elbow into Gitrdun's table.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 PM

Fly's etc in high river...
Old 01-08-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post

Thanks.
Proline in inglewood has a pile there . hornady and cci brands .
was just there at 2pm today.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:41 PM

Calgary Shooting Centre has Hornady in stock.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:44 PM

I have had great luck finding all kinds of ammo in smaller town co-op stores and not so main stream places there is all kinds of it out there.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Reg over at Caroline Supplies in Caroline has lots if you're driving through.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:39 PM

Default What about now?

Anyone know who's got 22WMR ammo today?

I see the insanely expensive $22 buck a box stuff can be found, but I'm looking for more realistically priced sub $15 a box stuff.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post

I see the insanely expensive $22 buck a box stuff can be found, but I'm looking for more realistically priced sub $15 a box stuff.
At the little gun show in lloydminster today there were a few there for 18.00 or so a box with one vendor. cheap as I've seen lately.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post

You're looking for Dodo birds then, the ammo price increase is unlikely to recede. I've seen .22 WMR popping up again on lots of shelves throughout town, Cabelas being the most recent.