Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Default powder coat cast bullets

who powder coats their cast bullets?

I'm curious about accuracy from, say, a 30-30, as there are conflicting reports on other forums.

some people also say you can push them to velocities similar to a jacketed bullet, is this also true?

any other issues or benefits you've seen with powder coating?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 02-23-2018, 04:06 PM

I'm fairly new to powder coating but so far have had good luck with it. I am loading cast 357 with a fairly stout jacketed load with no leading or terrible loss in accuracy.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-23-2018, 05:12 PM

I do 150 grain cast with gas check powder coated and 31 grains 3031 . Can get rounds touching at 70yards. Thats a remlin 3030
Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 PM

Have you had a chance to run that 31 grains of 3031 through a chronograph. I would be interested to hear what your getting and what's the bore like to clean after the powder coating. D.H.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 PM

interesting, veeeeery interesting, what hardness of lead are y'all running at full charges?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
interesting, veeeeery interesting, what hardness of lead are y'all running at full charges?
im almost afraid to say as the cast lead purists will shout and cry bad things at my lack of accurate casting practices but i will say it anyways.
due to the nature of the guns i am shooting and their purpose as fun easy to load close range plinkers i dont tend to be super religious on my lead alloy. i came across a lot of pure lead sheets that i have been trying to use up instead of my wheel weights so my method has been to throw a 1/2 lb wheel weight ingot "roughly every half pot" to use up the pure stuff.
i have tested some of my bullets from various batches and the hardness comes out around 7-9 HB and yet still no leading with the powder coat.
keep in mind this doesn't work with all guns. i used this approach with my Chinese 45acp and although it still shoots accurate enough it leads like no tomorrow.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Water quenching after casting your bullets will bump the hardness up some, enough that it's worth doing. With my alloy of w/w and some tin solder added at around 2-3%, and another 0.5% copper, after water quenching I'm getting around 11 BHN, which is very nice and hard for my rifle bullets.

Powdercoating will fix the leading issue, I use a cheap toaster oven and powder ordered from Emerald Coatings, shipping is cheap and a pound of powder will last you forever. Tool Blue is the powder I use to great results with the "shake and bake" method.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:29 AM

I cast bullits for my 45-70 using ww and water quenching. I powder coat them by simply shaking them in a margerine tub for several minutes ,then cooking them in a toaster oven for 20 minutes . I then size them. I find that the yellow pcoat tends to be a bit more uneven and clumpy than other colors. black and green and red works well I also will mix different left over powders and that works well too.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:49 AM

What is your source for powdercoat, jungleboy?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 AM

Default Powder coat bullets

I have been casting 6.5, 30 cal, 45 acp, 45-70 then powder coating.
I have found in rifle loads that gas checks dramatically improve accuracy. With high velocity only a harder bhn alloy will prevent leading when pushing the limits.
I found it was just easier to keep velocities down and use a faster burning powders.
I first warm my casts to 40 degrees. Then tumble in a vibration tumbler. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
Then water quence. Wheel weights come to 16 bhn once water quenced. I use this for everything I shoot

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 03-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
What is your source for powdercoat, jungleboy?
I just used the small bottles they used to sell at the fishin hole for powder coating jig heads. They sell in larger quantities and cheaper at KMS tools though.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:20 AM

Ah, reason I ask is because a lot of people seem to be getting powder at Princess Auto, which I don't have any experience with, I ordered mine from Emerald Coatings, shipping was dirt cheap, and it seems to be great quality. KMS tools has some too, I'll have to check it out.