Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 PM

“Albertans are invited to provide their input on how land in the North Saskatchewan Region will be used and managed.
Public feedback will help the Alberta government develop the final North Saskatchewan Regional Plan (NSRP), which will ensure government policies guide natural resource development, support local economic growth, enhance recreation.....”

I don’t believe the above statement. By and large this is gonna play out how the government wants it to play out. In my opinion this is just a token “we want your input” sort of thing. I have my doubts it’ll change their minds much.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post

I don’t believe the above statement. By and large this is gonna play out how the government wants it to play out. In my opinion this is just a token “we want your input” sort of thing. I have my doubts it’ll change their minds much.
Yep. There was a report the other day that was leaked, and it's pretty much a done deal, although the powers that be are very coy about it still.

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018...ckcountry.html

I'm surprised there hasn't been much more discussion on this on AO. I suppose most are resigned to the fact that this is going to play out and we'll all lose access to our public lands more. They want to hit that 17% of protected land no matter what.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Yep. There was a report the other day that was leaked, and it's pretty much a done deal, although the powers that be are very coy about it still.

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018...ckcountry.html

I'm surprised there hasn't been much more discussion on this on AO. I suppose most are resigned to the fact that this is going to play out and we'll all lose access to our public lands more. They want to hit that 17% of protected land no matter what.
Yep. Its been beat to death here. I was surprised as to how many people were ok with the loss of public land and the responsible use of it.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Yep. Its been beat to death here. I was surprised as to how many people were ok with the loss of public land and the responsible use of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Have a look at this nicely written letter Y2Y so kindly typed up that you can send to Minister Phillips

https://yellowstonetoyukon.nationbuilder.com/bighorn
Old 05-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Just keep up to date on the Y2Y home page. They announced the Castle park 2 hours before Nutley's press release.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM

https://y2y.net/news/media-releases/...-boreal-forest
Old 05-17-2018, 02:44 PM

That is not the Castle that is the new Wildlife Parks next to Wood Buffalo
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 PM

Default They have the perfect plan and ther is nothing no we can do.

The more ATV access that is taken away the more it will confine people to a certain area which in turn will create more damage which will give them more backing to lock up more access until the cycle is complete and ATV’s will only be allowed on private land. They know exactly what they are doing.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:42 PM

An update from another page. Highly relevant

http://caapla.weebly.com/articles/ye...e-to-yukon-y2y
Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Banned

If they did succeed people would take it away from everyone and that wouldn’t be good. I understand and agree with some of their junk but a lot of it is very unreasonable.
I know for one, I would be fined jailed nailed and I would keep doing the same things I do now until they throw the key away. If someone or a group of people have signs or notifications posted I feel immediately obligated to defy them. Closed means open, don’t text and drive=start texting, private property=come on in and check it out, unless it is private property of coarse You get my drift. Trying to babysit me has never worked and it never will, however if I’m left alone to make the decisions I know are right I would follow the rules for the most part. I grew tired long ago of signs and people saying Don't
Old 08-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
An update from another page. Highly relevant

http://caapla.weebly.com/articles/ye...e-to-yukon-y2y
Same old stuff here. I don't see the smoking gun. Lots of reasonable people want regulations on public land not a free for all.

What is a reasonable amount of motorized access. Unlimited? As much as now?

Like it or not, parks are popular. It is a popularity contest, and Y2Y have a message that resonates with a lot of people about protecting habitat and wildife more than angry quadders threatening to trespass. Y2Y lobbying the government is no more nefarious than Safari Club or anyone else.

Yes, there are places for ATVS on public lands, but a debate about much needed restrictions is not a conspiracy.

And given that this is a hunting and fishing site. Also noteworthy that NDP have made a lot of parks and PLUZs in the past couple of years. If they were anti hunting and fishing, they could have easily made them non-hunting. They did not. With the exception of a couple of safety zones round infrastructure, no hunting and fishing have been taken away. Philosphical differences about how far is reasonable to drive to your favorite spot and the conservation benefits of fewer ATV trails.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM

funny how Shannon Philips has her name attached to Y2Y, check it out when you plug her name in there search
Old 08-29-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
funny how Shannon Philips has her name attached to Y2Y, check it out when you plug her name in there search
At least we have her to represent Alberta in the Y2Y project. And since she works for us we should be able to direct her input to an extent. She will be the one to send letters too then.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-07-2018, 01:54 PM

Y2Y rallies for Bighorn Wildife Provincial Park
By Jessie Weisner (Twitter: @Jessie__Weisner)
September 7, 2018 - 12:10pm

21,781 letters and petition signatures have been delivered to the office of Alberta’s minister of environment and parks in support of turning the Bighorn Backcountry into a Wildland Provincial Park.

In a release, the Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative (Y2Y) and Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) say they’ve collected messages of support from Albertans from all sectors and generations.

“Parks are vital because they embody both the recreation and environmental values of our members,” says Brad Clute from Mountain Equipment Co-op. “Parks also provide maintained infrastructure such as huts, trails and campgrounds that inherently remove barriers and enable activity for all, regardless of skill level or experience. For these reasons, MEC is pleased to support the Government of Alberta and the proposed creation of the Bighorn Wildland Park.”

“As a fly fisherman, I feel incredibly lucky to have the Bighorn right out my back door,” says Perry Hallgren, angler and supporter. “There are rivers and creeks out here that people fly from around the world to visit. It seems crazy to me that an area that offers world renowned opportunities for backcountry experiences should have a major coal mine built within it. This is why I support the protection of the Bighorn.”

In March, the Alberta government sent out a press release asking Albertans to provide input on how land in the North Saskatchewan Region will be used and managed. The letters encouraging the decision to turn Bighorn in to a Wildland Provincial park came in response to the call for input.

Alberta Environment and Parks has acknowledged the lobbying of Y2Y and CPAWS but has not made any announcements regarding the future of the Bighorn Backcountry.

However, Jason Nixon, MLA for Rimbey - Rocky Mountain House - Sundre said he obtained a leaked memo from January 16 which essentially says the province has made its decision.

“The biggest concern that we’ve noticed is that there’s been a public consultation process that was supposedly being undertaken by the government, but then we were able to obtain some leaked documents that basically indicate the government has already decided they want to make that area into a Wild Land Park,” says Nixon.

The Bighorn is roughly 90 kilometres west of Rocky Mountain house, between Jasper National Park and Banff National Park. It hosts a large variety of recreational activities including camping, OHV and snowmobile use, hiking, fishing, hunting and cycling. All of these could be restricted if the area is deemed a provincial park.

However, Y2Y says the designation will help protect all life in the area.

“If designated, wildland provincial park protection will provide better protection of sensitive, so far undisturbed, habitat for vulnerable species such as grizzlies, bighorn sheep and bull trout and prevent extractive industry, including mining and forestry.”

For now, all groups are waiting for an announcement from the provincial government.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:50 AM

I would never support any group or organization that supports the Y2Y BS. I see Shannon is ramming the paved highway to west castle ski hill before the next election. This should boost the value of her property out there.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I would never support any group or organization that supports the Y2Y BS.
Unfortunately lots of gullible so called outdoorsmen and women do get sucked in by the Y2Y BS. Pretty sad actually...
Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 PM

Another article on the Bighorn. As they say - where there is smoke...

Park designation proposal triggers turf war in Bighorn backcountry

'You make it a park, and the people are kicked out it,' says Cal Rakach

CBC News · Posted: Sep 11, 2018 11:03 AM MT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Conservationists are turning up the pressure on the Alberta government to transform a contested parcel of Rocky Mountain terrain into an official wildland provincial park.

The Bighorn backcountry covers more than 5,000 square kilometres east of Banff and Jasper national parks, extending north from the Red Deer River to the Brazeau River.

The area encompasses pristine mountain ranges, rolling foothills, alpine grasslands, rivers and lakes.

The Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative, a group working to preserve ecosystems along the length of the Rocky Mountains, is among several conservation groups lobbying the province for the official park designation.

More than 20,000 people have signed its online petition.

The conservation question
The Bighorn is the missing piece in Alberta's conservation plan, said Hilary Young, Y2Y interim senior program manager for Alberta.

Without protection, the area will remain vulnerable, Young said.

"It's largely intact right now, but there's still a lot of industrial extraction happening out there," Young said in an interview Tuesday with CBC Radio's Edmonton AM.

A wildland provincial park designation would make the area off limits to commercial development and restrict ATV access in certain areas considered critical to some species.

Areas that remain relatively untouched from industrial and commercial development need to be protected for the future, Young said.

"There are coal mine leases, there is some oil and gas activity on the eastern edge, there is forestry," Young said.

"And some of the features landscapes, especially in the east, are used for different recreational activities, some of which are little bit more destructive and not as sustainable in the long term."

If the wildland park designation were granted, existing mineral leases would be phased out, commercial development would be banned in the park, cattle grazing allotments would not be granted and motorized recreation vehicles would be prohibited in critical wildlife zones. Camping and trail access would also be restricted.

Alberta expands Castle area parks, plans to phase out off-highway vehicles
Network of backcountry huts coming to Castle as early as fall
ATV riders and other recreational users have long fought restricted access to the area, which is popular with quadders and snowmobilers.

Cal Rakach, former president of the Bighorn Heritage ATV Society, said he has been fighting to maintain motorized access in the area for more than 30 years.

He likens the proposal to the Castle Wilderness Area, which covers 1,000 square kilometres of mountains and valleys in southwest Alberta. ATV users lost access to the region earlier this year when it was designated a provincial park and provincial wildland park.
Rakach said ATV users are an "easy target" for conservation groups. But for Rakach, the proposal's flaws are rooted in community access, not keeping quads out.

"You make it a park, and the people are kicked out of it," he said. "You explain that to the generations of people that have used that country."

The land is currently protected by an access management plan, a patchwork of land-use agreements, established in 2002 under Alberta's Forests Act.

The Bighorn Backcountry is divided into six public land use zones, and recreational activities allowed in each zone vary greatly.

Changing the lands to a park status will not provide any further protection but will restrict select users for no reason, Rakach said.

"We believed in 2002 that this management plan was going to take us into the future," he said. "These volunteer groups have put their blood and guts into the campgrounds, the trails and trying to manage this.

"A park would erase that."
Much of the Bighorn was once included in the national parks but the protection was withdrawn during the First World War.

In March, the Alberta government sent out a press release asking Albertans to provide input on how land in the North Saskatchewan Region will be used and managed, but no announcements have been made about Bighorn.
Alberta Environment and Parks Minister Shannon Phillips remained tight-lipped on the issue in a recent interview with CBC News.

Phillips said the province is consulting with user groups and conservation officials, and will have more to say on the management issue in the coming weeks.

"I wasn't surprised to see the number of signatures," Phillips said of the petition. "There has been a growth in our population, there has been growth in the capital region and in Calgary, and that's put pressure on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

"There are more people seeking recreational experiences, but at the same time, there are more people that want to make sure that we protect pristine nature for future generations."

Rakatch, who lives in Sundre, has been participating in provincial consultations over the summer. He remains hopeful government officials will maintain status quo in the Bighorn.

"We hope that common sense prevails," he said.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Exclamation revived for continuity, In order to maintain the common narrative

Well, they (CPAWS & Y2Y) may have lost the most recent battle here in Alberta, but they are reorganizing the troops and implementing a new plan of attack on a wider front. This is about politics more than conservation, they will not stop until Canada's economy is gutted. Expect to hear more from them for as long as foreign funds continue to flow into their bank accounts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tas...land-1.5213650

The linked CBC article by John Paul Tasker:
Quote:
Canada needs to triple the amount of protected land and water to tackle 'nature emergency': report
Against a backdrop of shocking declines in the health of the world's ecosystems and species, a new report from the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) says the federal government must commit to much more ambitious targets to protect the country's land and water if it's to have a chance of staving off a "nature emergency."

The report says biodiversity is declining faster than at any other time in human history — over one million species worldwide are facing extinction, according to a recent, groundbreaking study. It argues Canada must adopt aggressive measures beyond current targets by promising to protect and restore 30 per cent of all the country's land and inland waters by 2030 — about 330 million hectares.

That proposed goal would almost triple the amount of land currently protected through measures by federal, provincial and Indigenous governments. As of 2016, 11.8 per cent of Canada's land mass had been set aside for conservation.
But the advocacy group says Canada shouldn't stop at 30 per cent — that it should commit to protecting half the country's landmass from development (including extractive industries like logging and oil and gas) at some point over the next century.

Beyond committing to such a move at home, CPAWS — the only nationwide charity dedicated solely to protecting public land and water — says Canada also should secure commitments from other countries to preserve 30 per cent of inland territory at talks in China next year. Countries are sending representatives to a conference in Beijing in 2020 to decide on new preservation targets as part of the United Nation Convention on Biological Diversity.

"We need global goals and targets for the next decade that are on a scale that will actually tackle the nature emergency that we face," Alison Woodley, an executive with CPAWS, said in an interview with CBC News.

"This is needed to reverse the decline that we're seeing in nature, which is critical not only for wildlife but also for people, because nature provides all the basic necessities that we rely on, like water, food and oxygen."
The federal Liberal government already has committed $1.3 billion over five years to nature conservation. CPAWS said that sum has given Canada a fighting chance of reaching its goal of protecting at least 17 per cent of land and freshwater by 2020.

Those government funds have helped already to buy new lands for preservation and conservation right across the country under the "Quick Start" initiative — through acquiring new protected spaces in Ontario's Thousand Islands National Park, adding 30,000 hectares to Alberta's Kitaskino Nuwenëné Wildland Provincial Park and expanding Quebec's Parc des falaises and Halifax's 927-acre Blue Mountain-Birch Cove Lakes Wilderness Park, among dozens of other projects.

Another recent announcement committed federal money to buying at least 200,000 hectares of private land and fresh water in southern Canada, where experts agree nature and wildlife face the greatest pressures.

But even with that financial commitment and a promise to reach the 2020 goal, CPAWS maintains the 17 per cent target is still "woefully below what results of most scientific studies show are necessary to meet widespread conservation goals, such as maintaining viable populations of native species."

"There needs to be a much greater recognition of the magnitude of the problem. The evidence is showing we really need to think on a much bigger scale and make sure we are focused on protecting and restoring enough space for nature to thrive," Woodley said.

"We know what's needed. We really just have to scale up those initiatives and that requires finances, political will and leadership."

There's an urgent need to act now, the group said, because since 1970, half of all monitored species in Canada have declined. Of those, half declined on average by more than 80 per cent.

The advocacy group maintains bolstering protected areas will benefit nature and improve air quality, soil quality, pollination and seed dispersal, continued access to food and medicines, protection against extreme weather (coral reefs and mangrove swamps protect against cyclones and tsunamis) and help with general health and well-being.

"As species decline, the capacity for ecosystems to provide clean air, water, food, climate stabilization and other essential services declines as well. It is in all our best interests, and in the best interests of future generations, for Canada to take swift action," CPAWS said in its report.

Beyond protecting wildlife, the group said further investment in land protection also would help with Canada's fight against the other pressing environmental 'emergency' — climate change. CPAWS said more "natural solutions" to climate change should be championed by government.

The report said Canada has the potential to be a "conservation superpower" through more aggressive measures because Canada already is the custodian of 20 per cent of the Earth's wild forests, 24 per cent of its wetlands and almost one third of its land-stored carbon.

In 2015, the forestry sector was an important "carbon sink," pulling some 34 megatonnes of greenhouse gas emissions out of the air, according to Environment and Climate Change Canada.

Canada already has identified increased investment in the forestry sector as an important driver of emissions reductions and a key part of the country's plan to reach its Paris climate accord target. Under that agreement, Canada committed to lowering emissions by some 30 per cent from 2005 levels by 2030.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell