Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 AM

If you need it specifically to tow with, Ford hands down.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 AM

Toyota doesn't offer the 6.5ft box with the crew cab, so that made my decision right there. I would have looked into them more if that was an option, but I went with an F150 instead. Put 95,000km on a 2016 5.0l and not a single issue. Got a new 2018 5.0l in Dec and seems good so far. These trucks are used for bush work in BC, driving bush roads lots, hauling lots of fire wood, and pulling a 30ft travel trailer in the summer. Will stick with for until they give me a reason not to.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 AM

I average 16-18 mpg/gal with my 2017 tundra, but by the sounds of it the ford gets like 50 mpg/gal. Buy the ford, should keep the cost of tundra's down for me.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:03 AM

Tundras are awesome. Own a 2010 Platinum and its been fantastic. Nothing but fuel and oil changes. The crewmax is huge and it rides pretty nice. Tons of power and a good sounding V8. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the new trucks but it depends on what you want. For me reliability is big, Id rather spend the money on fuel vs repairs. The 5.7L is thirsty if you drive it hard but reasonable when you don't race from light to light.

It will light the tires on up on dry pavement doing 50 if thats your thing too!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Your best bet is to go to the dealer, drive both. Check for comfort and level of tech you want/need, then buy.

You ask a ford guy, he says ford. You ask a chevy guy, he says chev. You ask a dodge guy, he just drools and drags his knuckles on the floor, but you get the point.

I don't like the Toyota for comfort, sitting position and I really don't like the interiors. Those are personal dislikes that others might like. I own a Ford. Have owned several Fords and a Dodge. I like the Ford for comfort and convenience. Has the best head room and cabin comfort to me. I am taller and heavier than 95% of the population so I have to take that in to consideration.

At the end of the day any of the major automakers are putting out a good product. Good luck with your purchase.
Good advice, for sure!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:34 AM

I have owned Tundra 5.7L for 4 years up to 85k. No issues but mileage was really bad. I had 15.3L/100km HW, 18L/100 km city. a cold season in city: 20+L/100km and up to 23L/100km on very short trips.

I switched to F150 2.7L eco-boost crew cab in 2018. 10.8L/100 km on HW, 11.5L/100km city. 12.2L/100km over the winter. I have just 18k+ so far. so it is no real statistics for reliability yet.

All fuel measurements have been done on pump, not by computer.

My friend tows his 28ft trailer with 5.7l tundra. 24-28L/100km in average, but up to 34L/100km if it drives against the relatively speedy wind.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Had a 2007 & 2010 Tundra--fantastic mechanically(except for the 5 times going back for tranny leak), but rust on the body and the horrendous mileage killed them for me. Especially after buying a new 4Runner, and two new Tundras, with Toyota telling me tough luck with the paint issue. Telling that to a customer that's dropped over $150K on new vehicles sure isn't the way to get me to come back.

Bought an F150 in 2015---very happy with it.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM

Like many other's have said, you will need to pick one based on what fit's your needs...tow rating, payload etc. As to reliability, these guys have compiled over 800k real world repair records to show reliability. There will always be the outliers (I was one of 5 owners of an "81 Skylark that ran 25 years trouble free until being totaled) but looking at a broad span of vehicles tells the real tale.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_F_Series.html

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Tundra.html

and for comparision

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/...Silverado.html
Old 03-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
Like many other's have said, you will need to pick one based on what fit's your needs...tow rating, payload etc. As to reliability, these guys have compiled over 800k real world repair records to show reliability. There will always be the outliers (I was one of 5 owners of an "81 Skylark that ran 25 years trouble free until being totaled) but looking at a broad span of vehicles tells the real tale.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_F_Series.html

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Tundra.html

and for comparision

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/...Silverado.html

And Ford lovers are looking for a place to hide
Old 03-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
And Ford lovers are looking for a place to hide
Not really. I'm good with "Well Above Average" and a score of 88 for the last 4 years. It makes sense, if your going to use an engine developed in 1995 that produces less power, it's probably going to be more reliable. I'm okay with a small hit in reliability for basically better in everything else. It is literally the one bright spot for the Tundra. Kinda like the Oilers, they really aren't great, but, they've got McDavid. The lone bright spot, and it's a really bright spot, but they are still a terrible hockey team.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Not really. I'm good with "Well Above Average" and a score of 88 for the last 4 years. It makes sense, if your going to use an engine developed in 1995 that produces less power, it's probably going to be more reliable. I'm okay with a small hit in reliability for basically better in everything else. It is literally the one bright spot for the Tundra. Kinda like the Oilers, they really aren't great, but, they've got McDavid. The lone bright spot, and it's a really bright spot, but they are still a terrible hockey team.
Long as you've got yourself convinced...
Old 03-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Long as you've got yourself convinced...
I do. It's just mainly data and facts.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I do. It's just mainly data and facts.
Exactly.

Butt in the seat reflection means far more than someone reading opinions online, but as we know the people that know the least scream the loudest so everyone hears.

I have many million km's in the seat of Ford Chev and Chrysler, would never buy a dodge truck. I have owned Toyota and Nissan, there are many reasons I prefer Ford.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-20-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Exactly.

Butt in the seat reflection means far more than someone reading opinions online, but as we know the people that know the least scream the loudest so everyone hears.

I have many million km's in the seat of Ford Chev and Chrysler, would never buy a dodge truck. I have owned Toyota and Nissan, there are many reasons I prefer Ford.
Fords are the vehicle of choice for crime-fighters both paid and unpaid so this answer doesn't surprise me

Last edited by threeforthree; 03-20-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When the big companies buy things, vehicles included, the original purchase price is the number one determining factor. It's easy to get good fleet prices on Ford or GM, so that is what most companies go with. I do know smaller companies( 10-20 vehicle) that do use Tundras as work trucks, but the owner is a single person that can buy whatever he chooses, without having to justify his selection.

^^this..

Everything to do with the initial purchase price, Domestics are willing to move ALOT on fleet pricing, Toyota, not so much.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
^^this..

Everything to do with the initial purchase price, Domestics are willing to move ALOT on fleet pricing, Toyota, not so much.
With my former employer, the procurement department purchased the vehicles, and a different department handled the maintenance. Each department was out to spend as little as possible, because saving money had a huge impact on their raises. Good luck getting the procurement people to spend more and risk their raises, to help the auto shop save money on maintenance.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
With my former employer, the procurement department purchased the vehicles, and a different department handled the maintenance. Each department was out to spend as little as possible, because saving money had a huge impact on their raises. Good luck getting the procurement people to spend more and risk their raises, to help the auto shop save money on maintenance.

I know another side of it was (or at least "used to be"), that it was alot easier to find a ford/GM dealer/service center locally vs a toyota dealer.

Less distance to travel to service the truck = less downtime

I know lots of decisions (specifically in O&G) were made due to this reason as well.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Had a 2007 & 2010 Tundra--fantastic mechanically(except for the 5 times going back for tranny leak), but rust on the body and the horrendous mileage killed them for me. Especially after buying a new 4Runner, and two new Tundras, with Toyota telling me tough luck with the paint issue. Telling that to a customer that's dropped over $150K on new vehicles sure isn't the way to get me to come back.

Bought an F150 in 2015---very happy with it.
Everyone's experience is different.

Maybe the super duty uses different paint but my 6.7 paint started coming off in big chunks in only a few years (bought truck new). Worst paint I have ever had on a vehicle. And this is the "white platinum tricoat". Shoulda went with fleet white I guess.

I had an 07 tundra, sold it to my brother. He still has it and the paint is in way better shape than my newer 6.7

I have had both. When I need a truck I drive them all and buy whichever one I like the best (as long as it's not a Dodge...).

Good luck and post a pic when you get your new truck!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Banned

Default dont even think twice about it ....

get the tundra, bought wife a sequioa in 03 traded in 08 and then upgraded to a 4 runner in 15.

fluid changes, filters and one battery is alls i ever need to do

TBD

PS ... plus the resale is WAY better
Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM

If it is going to be flipped before the warranty expires-then buy the Ford.
If it is a long term purchase then buy the Toyota.
It is probably not racist to drive a Ford

Last edited by omega50; 03-20-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Everyone's experience is different.

Maybe the super duty uses different paint but my 6.7 paint started coming off in big chunks in only a few years (bought truck new). Worst paint I have ever had on a vehicle. And this is the "white platinum tricoat". Shoulda went with fleet white I guess.

It's your aftermarket flares that cause that blister, they are only screwed on around the wheelwell, they are not attached where they rub through the paint, those bolts/studs are only cosmetic and are not attached to the body, the fender flexes and vibrates and the flare/rubber gasket vibrates, eventually wears through the paint, especially if they happen to be ill fitting. Happens to every truck that has those flares anywhere from a few months to a few years. Take the flare off and you will see a grove where the gasket contacts the body and it will be worn through the paint in a few places, sooner or later the paint will start flaking and blistering just like your picture. If you didn't have that flare that area would not be blistered and flaking. If you drive it much in the mud those flares will also probably be full of mud/ salt that never dries out and further exacerbates the problem. Taken hundreds of these flares off in the collision shop and if they have been on for a while it is very rare that they don't wear a grove into the paint and eventually cause what your pic shows. They may look neat but they do more damage than good. It happens to all trucks not just ford. Extremly rare that any dealer will warranty damage caused by them, infact installing them will void most factory paint warranties.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 PM

I filled my Tundra up at Fasgss in Frank alberta(the pass). Put 548 Kim's on it and filled up in Edmonton with 73.44 litres. 115 -120 Kim's on highway and drove into Calgary for a bit then did some running around in Edmonton.
It's a 2013 platinum crew cab with 5.7 L with 98000 Kim's. I think that's good economy and its got some good power too. Truck has never had a repair, just one set of tires and wiper blades, oil and filters.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I filled my Tundra up at Fasgss in Frank alberta(the pass). Put 548 Kim's on it and filled up in Edmonton with 73.44 litres. 115 -120 Kim's on highway and drove into Calgary for a bit then did some running around in Edmonton.
It's a 2013 platinum crew cab with 5.7 L with 98000 Kim's. I think that's good economy and its got some good power too. Truck has never had a repair, just one set of tires and wiper blades, oil and filters.
13.4 L/100KM. Not bad for how terrible a reputation they get.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
13.4 L/100KM. Not bad for how terrible a reputation they get.
Yup, I get that when I drive like a grampa. So we're content with that.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 03-21-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 AM

I regularly record 12.7 l/100km on the highway with a 2007 Tundra double cab with the 5.7 engine. Not great, but pretty good. Zero issues in 12 years. Still looks new with good care.

Fuelly.com is a good source of unbiased fuel usage data.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
I regularly record 12.7 l/100km on the highway with a 2007 Tundra double cab with the 5.7 engine. Not great, but pretty good. Zero issues in 12 years. Still looks new with good care.

That’s pretty impressive...I had 2007 tundra crew max and couldn’t get any better that just under 16L/100km. Was getting same economy as the GMC 2500HD 6.0l I traded in on it.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post

My best ever was 12.8, and that was at 100km/hr behind a police cruiser for 200km. My typical highway mileage was around 13- 14l/100km, and combined would be around 15l/100km. In winter, add 10% or so.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
Yeah Ford is getting very innovative with their eco boost’s and 10 speed transmissions. The tundra has been practically unchanged for over 10 years...
Drivetrain is identical,interior was changed in 2015 I believe.
The powertrain should be bulletproof after 10 years.
The interior is dated compared to anything else out there....
The 5.7L is very thirsty,the F150 much better in that regard.
I have a 17 F150 with the Ecoboost,so far no major issues.....my 11 F150 was very good as well.
I value some fuel economy,and I really dont like the interior of the Tundra.
In 2021/2022 tho Ill be looking hard at the newer Tundra.

F150 has alot of configurations with engines,options and cabs...
Old 03-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone, I pulled the trigger on a F-150 time will tell if it’s the right choice... can always trade up to the Tundra in a few years time if need be. It’s all economic’s “prefection is the enemy of good enough”
Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
Thanks everyone, I pulled the trigger on a F-150 time will tell if it’s the right choice... can always trade up to the Tundra in a few years time if need be. It’s all economic’s “prefection is the enemy of good enough”
Look up the meaning of "prefection".