Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Thumbs down Is anyone trading trucks off lately?

I have a 2012 F350 Lariat 6.7 with under 100km, and a 2016 F150 Lariat with 51km. I was talking to my son about trading one or both off, the 1 ton because it has a sunroof that takes away valuable headroom, and the 1/2t because I never use it.
He recommended TEAM ford, and told a buddy there I was maybe looking to trade.

A day later I get a text from a salesperson asking about the trucks. I sent him pics and VIN's, got back a very excited 'WOW those are Mint! You will get HUGE money for them!!!
I asked him what HUGE money was for the 1 ton, he said 'HIGH TEENS!!!'

I said Pardon? (in my best The Champ voice)

That pretty much ended it with TEAM ford. No, actually, that ended it.
I was talking about it with friends online, and half a dozen dealers are calling me this morning, wanting pics and VIN's.

I just hate selling high dollar items here, you get the tirekickers, traders, no-shows and the worst ones; 'well what would you take today, right now CASH???'
I had a couple message me saying they buy and sell, but they had to make a buck too so I HAD to give them the best deal today. Wow. You aren't going to make money spinning my trucks, sorry.

CASH?? 'well, I was really hoping for gold bullion or chickens, maybe turnips or rare earth magnets, but I suppose I would look at cash.' Seriously? What do they think saying cash is going to do?

Salespeople drive me nuts.

Has anyone taken a vehicle to the States and traded it off? The Dealerships all say the same thing; they have a guy in the States that is looking for trucks RFN!!!

Why should we lost $5000-10,000 by delivering the truck to TEAM so they can drive it to the south side of the border?

I am seriously thinking about going South with it, our dollar sucks so there is a huge advantage. That is why the dealers here are loading semis south.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Ken have you tried D&D fleet in Camrose? I got a very good deal from them on my 08 3/4 Chev when I wanted to move it.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM

I've been wondering the same thing Its pretty bad when they offer you HALF of price to comparable vehicles on THEIR used lot.

Like you said selling anything privately or online is just a pain. Offers for less than half of a fair asking price.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Team ford is the worst-will never set foot in there again
Old 03-15-2019, 10:12 AM

You can definitely make some real good bucks selling desirable pickups South of the line. They go for nearly the same U.S. as they sell for in Canadian dollars and you pick up 33% on the exchange. Your F-350 Lariat is advertised for around $30-35,000 U.S.. Advertise it down south on Autotrader's U.S. site or get a set price deal setup with someone before you head down. There is paperwork to do if you want to leave the truck in the States.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

Last edited by Dean2; 03-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You can definitely make some real good bucks selling desirable pickups South of the line. They go for nearly the same U.S. as they sell for in Canadian dollars and you pick up 33% on the exchange. Your F-350 Lariat is advertised for around $30-35,000 U.S.. Advertise it down south on Autotrader's U.S. site or get a set price deal setup with someone before you head down. There is paperwork to do if you want to leave the truck in the States.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0
Thank you, I sent that link to a couple dealers telling me what my truck is worth, the stories are starting now. Too funny. "oh well they err umm" are they related to Trudeau?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM

A guy could make a pretty good living buying loaded, diesel, low mile Ford and Chev pickups here in Alberta and selling them into the states. With the two of us being retired maybe we should think about that.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I've been wondering the same thing Its pretty bad when they offer you HALF of price to comparable vehicles on THEIR used lot.

Like you said selling anything privately or online is just a pain. Offers for less than half of a fair asking price.
What people don't get is that they provide a warranty that you don't get with a private sale.
So when joe blow buys a used vehicle from a lot with a warranty and two weeks later the tranny drops out of it...it's fixed.
So they make a lot of profit on what they sell to cover warranty repairs.
It's either bit the bullet and take what they offer...or deal with all the tire kickers on kiijiji.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM

If you are willing to take SOME risk, Ritchie Brothers Auctions. Ask if they will give a guaranteed minimum.

Make Sure that you leave lots of brochures in the truck outlining it is not Damaged - Repaired, ie carfax.

There are alot of US buyers at Ritchie Brothers who are picking up yellow iron and selling across the line. Another piece on the lowboy means nothing to them.

The heavy equipment guys know what these trucks are worth down south, so it should be no surprise that they will bid pretty hard to get a good truck to take home.

Drewski
Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
What people don't get is that they provide a warranty that you don't get with a private sale.
So when joe blow buys a used vehicle from a lot with a warranty and two weeks later the tranny drops out of it...it's fixed.
So they make a lot of profit on what they sell to cover warranty repairs.
It's either bit the bullet and take what they offer...or deal with all the tire kickers on kiijiji.
Most dealers provide a short warranty on certain used vehicles. Some used vehicles still have remaining factory warranty, and even some dealers don't offer a free warranty on all used vehicles.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
A guy could make a pretty good living buying loaded, diesel, low mile Ford and Chev pickups here in Alberta and selling them into the states. With the two of us being retired maybe we should think about that.
Guys have been doing this for years now, since 2015 when dollar shot down and patch died.

Bought a slip tank off a guy in 2016 who was moving oilfield trucks down south by the semi load weekly. He’d take off the toolboxes, slip tanks, wood box liners, decals, try and make them look as non-patch as possible then sell them for a good premium. Offered to buy the diesel I had at the time right there for cash (and it was a good price too).

Dealers have been sending most of their used inventory down south for a good while also.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Guys have been doing this for years now, since 2015 when dollar shot down and patch died.

Bought a slip tank off a guy in 2016 who was moving oilfield trucks down south by the semi load weekly. He’d take off the toolboxes, slip tanks, wood box liners, decals, try and make them look as non-patch as possible then sell them for a good premium. Offered to buy the diesel I had at the time right there for cash (and it was a good price too).

Dealers have been sending most of their used inventory down south for a good while also.
True, but has been going on for a lot longer than that. Back in the mid 70s, when the first oil shock hit Europe, a buddy and I were buying used sports cars in Italy, Germany, Spain and France. There was zero market or demand for them in Europe as gas quadrupled in price and these got poor mileage relative to other cars. We brought them back to Canada in container loads and re-sold them here for between 2 and 5 times what we bought them for. Have done the same over the years in the States, Germany etc depending on availability and exchange rates. Other than one personal car a few years ago haven't done any lately as I was far too busy at work. Now that I am retired, starting to think it might be time to take another run at it.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM

The only warranty I have seen offered on used trucks is so cost prohibitive and loaded with caveats they arent worth a stamp.
Plus dealerships will only offer extended warranty on trucks under so many years old.
I have been involved in way too many civil litigation cases regarding vehicle warranty to ever buy into them.
' it was abuse ' no warranty is their go to.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:43 AM

a lady in red deer chevy will look up here name was the internet lady
2011 ford f350 diesel 100k kms single rear wheel drive titan tank decent rubber

to 41g on a trade in a few months ago on the 15 % off chevy truck deal so

paid 6g extra to get a full load AR2 Colorado I am happy so far

home town dealer was 5230 more ouch

Cement Bench
Old 03-15-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
a lady in red deer chevy will look up here name was the internet lady
2011 ford f350 diesel 100k kms single rear wheel drive titan tank decent rubber

to 41g on a trade in a few months ago on the 15 % off chevy truck deal so

paid 6g extra to get a full load AR2 Colorado I am happy so far

home town dealer was 5230 more ouch

Cement Bench

I am getting similar offers now, I also have the 5th wheel package, airbags, titan tank, nav.

I imagine I will get low to mid 40's, if not I will head south.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Humans are funny. If we are selling we think our item is worth a lot more than the guy who is buying thinks it is. And if we are buying we think the seller is trying to gouge us. Perspective. Everyone has to make a buck.

The beauty is, we don't have to buy or sell if we don't like the deal.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Humans are funny. If we are selling we think our item is worth a lot more than the guy who is buying thinks it is. And if we are buying we think the seller is trying to gouge us. Perspective. Everyone has to make a buck.

the biggest problem is so many people are living off buying and selling so they feel entitled to everyone else's stuff for next to nothing, because it is their 'job'.

I prefer working for a living to running a pawn shop.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

CASH?? 'well, I was really hoping for gold bullion or chickens, maybe turnips or rare earth magnets, but I suppose I would look at cash.' Seriously? What do they think saying cash is going to do?
LOL iam going to use that when someone mention cash and lowest price i would take and what the lowest i would go...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Sorry, but I disagree. I have made a great many deals where both of us felt like we were getting a fair deal. Sometimes I was the buyer, sometimes I was the seller but in all cases we were both happy with the end result. If I ever felt I was getting done over, or that someone was even trying, I walked.

While it is true that someone selling stuff commercially needs to make money, the issue arises when they try to make excess money on the basis of the other parties lack of familiarity or in depth knowledge. You used to be able to rely on the expertise of others, that is after all why you go to them and don't do it on your own. Square and fair dealing is becoming more rare, screwing someone over at every opportunity and finding the sneakiest ways of putting deals together is becoming the norm. I still want to deal with people who's word and handshake means everything to them, like it does to me.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Default Make a vacation out of it!

Quote:

Why should we lost $5000-10,000 by delivering the truck to TEAM so they can drive it to the south side of the border?

I am seriously thinking about going South with it, our dollar sucks so there is a huge advantage. That is why the dealers here are loading semis south.
Stop thinking about it and drive it south problem solved .
Old 03-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Stop thinking about it and drive it south problem solved .
Yeah, the timing is good. Warming up, just before boating.... dollar sucks. Might have to!

Old 03-15-2019, 01:31 PM

While it is true that someone selling stuff commercially needs to make money, the issue arises when they try to make excess money on the basis of the other parties lack of familiarity or in depth knowledge. You used to be able to rely on the expertise of others, that is after all why you go to them and don't do it on your own. Square and fair dealing is becoming more rare, screwing someone over at every opportunity and finding the sneakiest ways of putting deals together is becoming the norm. I still want to deal with people who's word and handshake means everything to them, like it does to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree
Old 03-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
While it is true that someone selling stuff commercially needs to make money, the issue arises when they try to make excess money on the basis of the other parties lack of familiarity or in depth knowledge. You used to be able to rely on the expertise of others, that is after all why you go to them and don't do it on your own. Square and fair dealing is becoming more rare, screwing someone over at every opportunity and finding the sneakiest ways of putting deals together is becoming the norm. I still want to deal with people who's word and handshake means everything to them, like it does to me.
I agree[/QUOTE]

I agree!

Old 03-15-2019, 01:49 PM

The amount of vehicles continually heading south for the past few years has been interesting to watch. Still a TON of them going down.

A few guys selling them personally, and also a few guys advertising them in the USA and having USA buyers coming up to buy them in Canada.

A lot of options out there for sure!
Old 03-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Give Vegreville ford a call and talk to Rodney sorochan. Have bought numerous vehicles from him and have sent friends and relatives, all have bought there and have gone back.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:43 PM

I'm not sure what the problem would be throwing them on craigslist and kijiji and seeing what kind of response you'll get. They both sound like nice trucks and they should be worth a lot higher than "high teens". I've bought and sold a ton of vehicles privately and it's a lot easier than driving across the border.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I am getting similar offers now, I also have the 5th wheel package, airbags, titan tank, nav.

I imagine I will get low to mid 40's, if not I will head south.
5th wheel but no nav

they did not want the 5th,wheel hitch
Old 03-15-2019, 06:53 PM

just sold my 1/2 ton to a guy from Idaho. I got full asking price and he was thrilled because exchange made it 30% cheaper for him.

got tired of all of the guys who emailed me off KIJIJI telling me I was asking too much and they would give me 70% of my asking price and I should be happy with the offer.

There is a big dealer in Great falls who used to buy trucks. sorry I can remember his name off the top of my head but I would reach out to few dealers with details and pics.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Give Vegreville ford a call and talk to Rodney sorochan. Have bought numerous vehicles from him and have sent friends and relatives, all have bought there and have gone back.
I like Veg ford too, have bought parts there, nice people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I'm not sure what the problem would be throwing them on craigslist and kijiji and seeing what kind of response you'll get. They both sound like nice trucks and they should be worth a lot higher than "high teens". I've bought and sold a ton of vehicles privately and it's a lot easier than driving across the border.
Never said there was a problem with kijiji or et-al, the dealer contacted me on referral about trading in. The issue with selling higher end used is that the dealers sell new for 0% and rebates, full warranty, and anyone that can scratch together a monthly payment can be in a shiny new truck. For people to come up with 45,000 cash is a whole new set of issues.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. I have made a great many deals where both of us felt like we were getting a fair deal. Sometimes I was the buyer, sometimes I was the seller but in all cases we were both happy with the end result. If I ever felt I was getting done over, or that someone was even trying, I walked.

I think we agree more than disagree. I do the same as you. if someone tries to screw me I walk off. a fair deal is where both people think they got what they wanted, and you're right harder to find these days.
It just seems to me to be more folks complaining about the other guy making 'excess' profit. Who decides what excess is? A guy can always walk.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand