Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2015, 02:46 PM

Hey guys. I have just entered into the world of smoking. I purchased a Master Forge propane smoker from Lowes and just wondering if you guys have any experience with them?

I seasoned it as per the booklet instructions. I'm currently doing some baby backs in it before I try a 6lb pork shoulder next week. I can't seem to get the temp below 225. I have a digital thermometer mounted on one of the grills. I have the exhaust all the way open on the top, the dial turned all the way down and the side vents wide open. I can only get it down to about 240. Also should the wood chips burn right to ash. The recipie I'm following suggested 4oz of wood. Once thats done smoking do another 4oz and leave it. Should the wood be ash or charcoal when I'm done? There is no more smoke and it's been going for about 1hr15mins.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Hey guys. I have just entered into the world of smoking. I purchased a Master Forge propane smoker from Lowes and just wondering if you guys have any experience with them?

I seasoned it as per the booklet instructions. I'm currently doing some baby backs in it before I try a 6lb pork shoulder next week. I can't seem to get the temp below 225. I have a digital thermometer mounted on one of the grills. I have the exhaust all the way open on the top, the dial turned all the way down and the side vents wide open. I can only get it down to about 240. Also should the wood chips burn right to ash. The recipie I'm following suggested 4oz of wood. Once thats done smoking do another 4oz and leave it. Should the wood be ash or charcoal when I'm done? There is no more smoke and it's been going for about 1hr15mins.
So did the baby backs on the smoker for about 4.5hrs at an average temp of 240, tossed them on the grill for 10mins and sauced them up. Have to say they were really tasty. I also did baby potatoes tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. They were in the smoker the whole time. They were awesome. I think I convinced the wife that the smoker was a good purchase. Next up pulled pork.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:30 AM

Nice i like smoked meat, Thanks
Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post

If your propane smoke has difficulty holding a low temperature on the lowest setting-then you may have to set the flame height visually.
If your smoker has lo-med -high settings you may be able to feather the control between High and Off.
Light the smoker and set to high-have the door open so that you can visually see the burner.
SLOWLY turn the dial towards off while watching the flame height. You should be able to manually set the flame height lower in this fashion. Go too far and it will close the valve and extinguish the flame.
Once you have the right height-mark the smoker body with a Sharpie adjacent to the dial so that you can duplicate the result.
You may need to invert the wood chip rack to lower the chip holder closer to the burner as the flame will be much lower.

Biggest downfall of propane smokers are that any temp adjustment impacts burn rate of the wood chips.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Son #2 coming for a 1 night visit -asked for a jerky care package for the Shambala concert next week outside of Salmo.

Wanted a shelf stable product he could eat incognito amongst all of those vegan hippies

Cut into short bootlaces for snacking

Of course I am prepared for when he asks as he is leaving-"Dad- Any chance you have some spare back bacon?"
Old 08-01-2015, 05:07 PM

How many lbs of meat do you start with when making ground jerky ? I'm going to give a go this weekend I was thinking about 2-3 lbs of ground moose in my Bradley ? mine has 4 trays
Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
How many lbs of meat do you start with when making ground jerky ? I'm going to give a go this weekend I was thinking about 2-3 lbs of ground moose in my Bradley ? mine has 4 trays
Perfect
roughly 1lb fits on a rack
So 3lbs absolutely perfecto
Old 08-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Omega. I have a 6lb bone in pork shoulder going right now. Put it on at 5:30am. It's just after 6pm and it's only at 170. Been steady between 225 and 240. Think I've encountered "the stall" I've been reading about. Been following meathead's recipie on amazingribs.com. Looks like burgers for supper tonight instead. Had a back up plan just in case.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:26 AM

I have seven quarter chickens in a rub in the fridge, as well as two roasts. My question is: Is it ok to smoke them both at the same time? I have alder chips soaking in beer and coffee and will drain them off for tomorrows smoke marathon. Breaking News In the past I have only smoked one meat at a time, this is a first for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:53 PM

Some freshly smoked Goldeye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150805_215415.jpg (16.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Ribs for dinner tonight being smoked with applewood splits... Going to be a gooder!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150816_100038.jpg (68.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 PM

Default Smoked Morel, Beef and Barley Soup

Trying to honor the intention of a hugely gracious gift of incredible morels from Tundra Monkey.
I had some left over Beef Pot Roast in the freezer. So I decided to make a hearty soup now that the weather has cooled.
Threw a 1/2 cup of dried morels on some cheesecloth and gave them a hour of smoke with some Oak Dust.
Then after browning my mirepoix I crumbled the morels in with a scoop of smoked duck fat-set the heat to high then deglazed the pot with some home made Nebbiolo wine.
Diced in the pot roast and gravy-garlic and fresh rosemary and some diced tomato-let simmer an hour then added 1/2 cup pearl barley

Thanks again
TM
You have been a beacon of light in a time of darkness in Alberta

Last edited by omega50; 08-22-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:36 AM

Default Homemade smoker

Getting ready for upcoming season . Built wooden smoker outdoors .dont have any experience in smokin . Cold smoke or hot smoke ?any tips on final construction of smoker .
Old 08-29-2015, 01:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Doing up some wings on my offset stickburner as we speak. Did a nice buttermilk based brine over night and sprinkled them off with my home made spicy/savoury rub before hitting the smoker. Cooking with applewood splits.

Once done I will crisp them up slightly in the oven and top them with my homemade Maple/Tomato based bbq sauce that I also smoke for about an hour before applying.

This recipe is always a hit! The heat from the cayenne pepper/paprika/onion/garlic spiced rub pairs very well with the sweet, smokey flavour of the maple/tomato sauce...

I will post a finished pic later!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Doing up some wings on my offset stickburner as we speak. Did a nice buttermilk based brine over night and sprinkled them off with my home made spicy/savoury rub before hitting the smoker. Cooking with applewood splits.

Once done I will crisp them up slightly in the oven and top them with my homemade Maple/Tomato based bbq sauce that I also smoke for about an hour before applying.

This recipe is always a hit! The heat from the cayenne pepper/paprika/onion/garlic spiced rub pairs very well with the sweet, smokey flavour of the maple/tomato sauce...

I will post a finished pic later!
I look forward to a finished pic.
This interests me because of your buttermilk brine.
I have started saving my whey from cheese making with the intention to pump the whey from my next Bleu cheese into some chicken. Just been waiting for colder weather
Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 PM

Omega is there anything you don't make?
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Omega is there anything you don't make?
Never used a pressure cooker in my life.

And my bread slicing abilities are more suited to making doorstops
Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I look forward to a finished pic.
This interests me because of your buttermilk brine.
I have started saving my whey from cheese making with the intention to pump the whey from my next Bleu cheese into some chicken. Just been waiting for colder weather
Turned out great again! I smoke wings a little lower in temp than I normally smoke at just because of the obvious size factor and not wanting to dry them out giving them more time in the smoke, so these went for 2.5 hours at around 185°. Then I crisp them up a bit in the oven and sauce them and let it sit at 350° for another 10 minutes...

Unfortunately I only got a pic after the rub and just out of the oven with the sauce done. The friends went for ghem before I could take a nice plated, picture...

As for the buttermilk brine, I really enjoy the results! Nothing overpowering. Just subtle flavour and nice, juicy meat. It is pretty basic. A quart of buttermilk, 3 or 4 tbs of fresh chopped garlic (I prefer the Russian purple garlic, a small chopped up onion, couple tsp black pepper, 2 or 3 tbs of kosher salt, a tsp of cummin powder, and 2 or 3 tbs of a sugar source (I like honey but any sugar really will work). Wings I will toss in a ziplock bag with the brine for at least 4 or 5 hours but I like overnight better...

I don't wash off the wings after. Just shake the brine off and dust with my rub and let sit for a couple hours before smoking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150829_122709_resized.jpg (85.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20150829_175122_resized.jpg (47.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

Default Heads up on Inexpensive Pork Rib Roast Bone In!

Was at Superstore last Friday and noticed that they are selling Pork Rib Roasts Bone In really inexpensive not even a sale price. The price range for these roast are from $10.00 to $15.00.

The roasts are pre-cut and in a black coloured package with a sticker on it that has " It's Your Pork and Western Canada under that. Bought one to try it out.

Took it home mixed up some salt and cracked pepper then rubbed the roast all over let it sit on the counter for about a couple of hours. Before smoking it smeared Bulls Eye BBQ Sauce all over it. I put it in my Bradley at 275 degrees for three hours and used Granny Smith Green Apple Wood to smoke it with.

I used about 1 cup of Bulls Eye BBQ Sauce and mixed it with 1 cup of Apple Juice and brushed it every half an hour as it was smoking.

Man was that ever juicy and delicious, fed 4 easily.

Last edited by elkivory; 08-30-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:23 PM

All these pictures of the meats look good. don't have a smoker myself but looking to buy one. can anyone recommend where i can buy one?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:46 AM

This is so goddamn beautiful
Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Banned

Default Traeger - candied salmon or Indian candy

I don't even want to say winter, so enjoying these beautiful autumn days. However, before the snow flies, time to make the winter supply of candied salmon. Atlantic salmon in a brine of pickling salts, brown sugar. A mild smoke of apple or cherry. A coating of real maple syrup, dark molasses and honey. Makes my teeth sing. So gooey and delicious.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 AM
AO Sponsor

Have some nice beef back ribs on the smoker right now. Just using my usual salt, pepper, onion and garlic dry rubbed on. Smoking on the offset stickburner using peach wood splits for a lighter smoke flavour so as to not overpower the beef. Getting hungry!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151004_084514.jpg (101.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151003_173056.jpg (67.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 10-04-2015, 11:15 AM
AO Sponsor

2.5 hours in...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151004_111301.jpg (110.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-04-2015, 07:53 PM
AO Sponsor

And the finished product... Delish!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151004_161919.jpg (75.4 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM

Twisted up some Hungarian Farmers sausage with my grandson yesterday to honor the anniversary of his Great Grandfathers death.

His Great Grandfather passed about 16 years ago, but was an incredible jokester and avid sausage maker so I know he would have loved these Hungarian shoulder pads.

Last edited by omega50; 10-05-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
If there is enough interest Im willing to create a sticky thread for all smoker recipes, mods done to smokers, pics of smokers- do's and don'ts, likes and dislikes and create our own smoking community. Be great to share recipes and venture our from our usual smoking escapades. If interest follow below as discussed above

I will start with my last thread and I had a few promise candy salmon recipe if we made a sticky. Once we have a few going, I will stick the thread.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:31 PM

I was thinking of getting a turkey, having it cut in half and cooking it up in my Bradley.
Does anyone have any good recipes for this or have done it.
I will continue to go through this thread and look for ideas in the meantime.
Thanks.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech1 View Post
just purchased a Masterbuilt propane smoker"Seems Myself and few have a problem getting and keeping temperature lower like 220 .Lowest setting on controller'vent open wide.Any others who also have this problem,with any fixes?
You can leave the door slightly open to help keep it cooler. Just a crack.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.