Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2023, 10:45 PM

Default Spring 2023 fires —Arson

At the time there was many reports of the wildfires being started intentionally.
There were also a few church arsons.

Did the RCMP ever lay charges in relation to the wildfires of last spring.
I remember police and fire authorities acknowledging that arson was a significant factor in the volume of major fires.

Were charges laid ?
Old 12-14-2023, 07:37 AM

Also I find it interesting....no bear hunters allowed ohv in the bush....wouldn't want a armed hunter catching someone with a Jerry can of gas in the bush 🤔
Old 12-14-2023, 08:07 AM

Wildfires and churches burning, not much reported on arrests or convictions concerning either.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Wildfires and churches burning, not much reported on arrests or convictions concerning either.
Or pipeline vandalism.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-14-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Or pipeline vandalism.
Exactly, the one attack by 20 armed individuals on the gaslink project injured security guards, did millions in damage, and no arrests.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Also I find it interesting....no bear hunters allowed ohv in the bush....wouldn't want a armed hunter catching someone with a Jerry can of gas in the bush 🤔
It was drier than a popcorn fart in the bush an atv ban during that period was valid.

Anyone who has experienced a bad wildfire season could have seen the conditions last spring and knew there was going to be issues. I was honestly expecting just lightning and stupid people not being responsible not the intentional fires

Really the odds of allowing bear hunters to use ATVs would have given a higher odds of starting a fire vs actually catching someone starting one. Pretty easy to go unnoticed in the bush
Old 12-14-2023, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Simple answer is that the media doesn't deem the causation of those news worthy. Doesn't fit their narrative.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Who on earth would be lighting churches on fire?
Old 12-14-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Exactly, the one attack by 20 armed individuals on the gaslink project injured security guards, did millions in damage, and no arrests.
That is strange! No suspects?
Old 12-14-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
That is strange! No suspects?
Follow the money trail ......................
Old 12-14-2023, 09:02 PM

I find it funny blame the atv guys but oh wait outfitters, can drive were ever they want iam very aware of the conditions. A wildfire burned 400m from my acerage. Wasn't quads that started that fire.
Fact bear hunters wNt to get in and hunt....
They don't blast threw muskeg....were the build up of debris causes the issue. Getting stuck and wrecking the trail limits the hunt.
Recreation quads who blast threw mud and rip the trail up are the issue with fires.
I have spent hours building a good trail for access to come back in the evening to sxs with tires bigger than my trucks rip the trail to shreds.
Never heard of a atv ban until the ndp got into power a few years ago. Banning quads is like banning ar 15 there could be a bad apple so no for everyone. How about do spot checks for debris on mufflers instead of stupid helmet checks and is your quad registered.

Last edited by honda610; 12-14-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Who on earth would be lighting churches on fire?
Mac Dougall Church, an important historic and cultural building on the Stoney Nakoda reserve, burned down in 20 17, no arrests and community resistance to rebuilding it. It eventually was though.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:44 AM

Default There was at least a couple women and a man who were charged but that’s all I heard of.

A 28-year-old woman has been arrested after a series of fires were intentionally set along the Galloping Goose Trail in Sooke, B.C.
I couldn’t find the other article but there was a woman that was also caught lighting fires to increase the blueberries.

Quebec police have charged a 37-year-old man with arson in connection with what the CBC reports as “numerous forest fires that burned earlier this summer in the province’s north./

Last edited by BuckCuller; 12-15-2023 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:02 AM

My neighbor saw a guy in his farm yard stealing gas so he approached him unarmed and got beat up and his truck stolen . Course this doesn't even make local newspaper
Old 12-15-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I find it funny blame the atv guys but oh wait outfitters, can drive were ever they want iam very aware of the conditions. A wildfire burned 400m from my acerage. Wasn't quads that started that fire.
Fact bear hunters wNt to get in and hunt....
They don't blast threw muskeg....were the build up of debris causes the issue. Getting stuck and wrecking the trail limits the hunt.
Recreation quads who blast threw mud and rip the trail up are the issue with fires.
I have spent hours building a good trail for access to come back in the evening to sxs with tires bigger than my trucks rip the trail to shreds.
Never heard of a atv ban until the ndp got into power a few years ago. Banning quads is like banning ar 15 there could be a bad apple so no for everyone. How about do spot checks for debris on mufflers instead of stupid helmet checks and is your quad registered.
There is a reason when I was logging when conditions like we had last spring would shut us down

No matter how safe you are equipment and ATVs can start a fire. Seen it firsthand and helped put it out

Sometimes it’s just better to for go some activities if they stand a chance of putting peoples lives and property at risk. Really giving up ATV use for bear baiting under these conditions is not a huge loss it’s mostly an inconvenience
Old 12-15-2023, 10:10 AM

Default fires

I printed off a copy of Alberta map showing location of wild fires for last number of years. It is interesting most fires are along or near our major highways like Yellowhead, highway 43 & 63 etc. I guess lightning likes to follow highways in Alberta.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I printed off a copy of Alberta map showing location of wild fires for last number of years. It is interesting most fires are along or near our major highways like Yellowhead, highway 43 & 63 etc. I guess lightning likes to follow highways in Alberta.
Don't have to carry a jerry can of fire starter as far that way
Old 12-15-2023, 10:59 AM

Haven't heard of anything related to the guy that was lighting fires along Hwy9 last fall. There was someone charged, just east or SE of Edm as I remember. I know I heard of 2 or 3 more, don't remember any details of where. I guess we have the population to have that percentage of whackos around, add in some imported radicals go grab some popcorn.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:05 AM

I agree minor inconvenience sooo ban quads. Ban smokers stop selling cigarettes during a fire ban. Anyone caught smoking in there vehicle on a roadway gets a fine.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I agree minor inconvenience sooo ban quads. Ban smokers stop selling cigarettes during a fire ban. Anyone caught smoking in there vehicle on a roadway gets a fine.
Let’s keep it simple anyone caught starting a fire under those conditions intentionally or not should be nailed for it

Maybe some common sense might be used
Old 12-15-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Anyone tossing a cigarette and I've seen that lots of times, should be hung drawn and quartered. But then, makers in their infinite wisdom stopped putting ash trays in their vehicles.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Fire bans don't seem to draw a lot of criticism from most people, banning atvs, during extreme fire conditions upsets a few people, but banning smoking during extreme fire conditions would have some people ready to riot.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Anyone tossing a cigarette and I've seen that lots of times, should be hung drawn and quartered. But then, makers in their infinite wisdom stopped putting ash trays in their vehicles.
Pretty easy to keep a bottle with some water in the vehicle if you smoke. I did it for years before I quit
Old 12-15-2023, 04:13 PM

Very easy to wash your quad when it's dirty. But everyone wants to punish all the people because of a few. Same as gun control....sheep nothing but sheep.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Very easy to wash your quad when it's dirty. But everyone wants to punish all the people because of a few. Same as gun control....sheep nothing but sheep.
Not the same and no ATV doesn’t stop you from bear hunting just makes it harder. You are not loosing your ATV and it’s only temporary well conditions are at high risk of fire

You lost ATV use for what 2 months? This is not even a yearly occurrence
Old 12-15-2023, 06:12 PM

It's only a few months a year....then half the year we'll all the atvs banned...for the greater good. Look at our guns...only autos, then semi, then the rest. Pull your heads out of the sand. Its not atvs starting these fires. Read past the cbc and liberal bs.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
It's only a few months a year....then half the year we'll all the atvs banned...for the greater good. Look at our guns...only autos, then semi, then the rest. Pull your heads out of the sand. It’s not atvs starting these fires. Read past the cbc and liberal bs.
Umm ok then
Old 12-15-2023, 06:56 PM

APOS LOVES Fire Bans.
It's in their financial interest.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-15-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
It's only a few months a year....then half the year we'll all the atvs banned...for the greater good. Look at our guns...only autos, then semi, then the rest. Pull your heads out of the sand. Its not atvs starting these fires. Read past the cbc and liberal bs.
Okie Dokie Smokie...
Old 12-15-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
APOS LOVES Fire Bans.
It's in their financial interest.
Of course it is, because it eliminates the competition. Everyone knows that an atv can't start a fire if operated by an outfitter, but if operated by a resident hunter, it's a fire hazard.