Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2023, 12:35 PM

Default Scope ring height and tri-focus glasses

Hi Everyone: In the past, when I had good eyesight, I always chose to mount the scope on my rifles as low as possible. I also moved the scope as far forward as possible to avoid scope "smile" from shooting in various shooting positions...especially prone.

Today, I have trifocal glasses and find it difficult to see the sight picture correctly, especially in low light. In addition, I mostly hunt from a blind (for deer) and from seated shooting sticks (for coyotes).

How have you solved this dilemma for those in a similar situation?

Options considered
- larger objective scope for low light (set at lower magnification for the most significant eye relief)?
- higher scope mounts? And/or add on cheek riser?
- set the scope further back in the rings? To accommodate seated-upright shooting
- higher quality scope?

Note: Contact lenses did not work for me...I am too blinky to install them.

...what is your experience?

Hoopi

Last edited by Hoopi; 12-05-2023 at 12:37 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-05-2023, 01:37 PM

I have the same problem, I cannot shoot rifles with scopes or shotguns with my progressive bifocals, just can't get my head in a position where I have a clear repetitive sight picture, I solved the problem by getting a set of shooting glasses with my prescription in single vision only, they have 4 different colored lenses so I always have one for the best visibility for that time of day, I wear them trap shooting at the range or anytime I am out hunting.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:51 PM

I don't have a scope problem (yet) but I got a pair of single prescription glasses made for shotgunning - this stops the bead from jumping in and out of focus.
I carry a pair of drugstore cheaters in my hunting stuff for anything close up
Old 12-05-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I have the same problem, I cannot shoot rifles with scopes or shotguns with my progressive bifocals, just can't get my head in a position where I have a clear repetitive sight picture, I solved the problem by getting a set of shooting glasses with my prescription in single vision only, they have 4 different colored lenses so I always have one for the best visibility for that time of day, I wear them trap shooting at the range or anytime I am out hunting.
^^^^^ this!

There are no absolutes
Old 12-05-2023, 02:20 PM

When I had bifocals done, I had the lower part lowered to keep it out of my way for daily use, have to look down to use it, or push glasses up higher.

What scope are you using? Found a noticeable difference from my 30 yr old Leupolds to most of my newer scopes, they were 33 and 40 objectives, new ones are 40,42 and 44, I have a couple of old 50's, not as nice as newer ones, everything I've bought for hunting in the last 12-13yrs is Swaro or Zeiss, 42-44mm SFP's, one Sightron FFP 44mm I'm trying out, with a lit reticle, too soon to judge that one, haven't used it enough. Cheek alignment on the FFP's are pretty critical.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:21 PM

I darn near killed myself when I first got my progressive bifocals, climbing and walking the iron was out .
I went back and got y
The smallest bifocal lenses for my prescription I could , and they work well when shooting with a hunting scope.
For TR competition when I am serious I have a
Knoblach shooting lens and frame with a prescription that is set up for my irons rifles with gheir 30" barrels.
The lens encorporates a blinder over my left eye.
Cat
Old 12-05-2023, 10:09 PM

I have progressive lenses and it has not been a problem for me. I keep my scopes low. Try adjusting the eye piece on your scope that may help.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:37 PM

Are the glasses true tri focals or are they progressives? Unless you spend a lot on progressive lenses and I mean a lot, they suck for shooting because the corners of the lenses are not sharp. True tri focals I cannot see being a problem, just might have to change your reticle focus a little bit.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-06-2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Are the glasses true tri focals or are they progressives? Unless you spend a lot on progressive lenses and I mean a lot, they suck for shooting because the corners of the lenses are not sharp. True tri focals I cannot see being a problem, just might have to change your reticle focus a little bit.
True progressives. Not Walmart specials.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:20 AM

My progressive lenes are supposed to be ziess $485 without frames and they still suck for shooting with a scope

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
My progressive lenes are supposed to be ziess $485 without frames and they still suck for shooting with a scope
I have gone through 4 pairs of progressive's, the only ones that work for shooting were a pair of safety glasses that my work place paid for. Seiko lenses, very expensive. I now just use bifocals, works great.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-07-2023, 03:49 PM

I had to get bifocals this year as well for glass.

When I shoot, or go hunting I just wear contacts with only the prescription for my distance. This took care of any problems with the glasses, and any fogging while out hunting.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:40 AM

Default Excellent advice

Hi Everyone. I appreciate the advice here. I do have a pair of Rudy Project glasses with a true bifocal. They work ok. But when I put my head down to shoot, I am looking through the top 20% of the glasses, and it messes with my mind that I must search to find a good sight picture.

Do you think
- If I went with higher rings and a cheek riser, this would help?
- Would a larger objective (read 50 MM) or better quality scope (read Zeiss, S&B, Swarovski) help with low-light WT hunting?

Keep the ideas coming!!!

Hoopi
Old 12-08-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
Hi Everyone. I appreciate the advice here. I do have a pair of Rudy Project glasses with a true bifocal. They work ok. But when I put my head down to shoot, I am looking through the top 20% of the glasses, and it messes with my mind that I must search to find a good sight picture.

Do you think
- If I went with higher rings and a cheek riser, this would help?
- Would a larger objective (read 50 MM) or better quality scope (read Zeiss, S&B, Swarovski) help with low-light WT hunting?

Keep the ideas coming!!!

Hoopi
Everyone I know looks through the top 20% of their glasses, you were looking at the same sight window before glasses. That is why it is important to have glasses that are clear right to the edge.

Just to clarify, I am talking about the bench. In the field things straighten out a little bit.

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 12-08-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:52 AM

Default wondering

I have the same issues,I asked some friends and family,My Unc said to find some reader glasses at Walmart,costco or whateverdrug store is close.Im going to pick some up this aft and try them tomoorow at the range.Keep you posted on the results good or bad